Menu

Switching dinner for lunch

swimmermom3

For a while, dh and I have not been sleeping well. We've banished the poor cats to the basement and forsaken our evening glass of wine.  I think we need to change our meals around. The big dinners I have served aren't really suitable with one teen at home and the onslaught of reflux for both of us. We enjoy ethnic food and spicy meals and I cringe at the idea of every dinner being something like a piece of fish, some rice, and a few steamed veggies. What if I did the main meal at lunch and tried lighter options for dinner?

Has anyone done this?

Dh brown bags his lunch, so I don't want him to feel deprived.

I used to do this all the time when my kids were young and our evenings were crazy.  (Our evenings are still crazy, but so are our days now, so it doesn't help anymore.)  But -- my dh usually gets home late, so he was seldom sitting down to dinner with us anyway.  He was microwaving his dinner, so it didn't matter to him what time we'd eaten it.

Muttichen and Lanny, what did you serve for the evening meal?

reign, I like your ideas for the evening meal and would have not trouble with this for myself. I am just wondering if I can keep a 16 yo boy happy on this plan. Of course, he would be home for the hot cooked lunch.

Multi-quote hasn't worked for me for months.

We do this when my husband works a swing shift so that he can have a hot meal. 

We eat our big hot meal at lunch and then the kids and I have leftovers or whatever we can find that is easy.

For your 16yo, maybe it's time for him to learn to cook! ;)

Or you could pre-cook a big batch of pasta or chicken that he could just re-heat, but also fill him up. 

We ALWAYS have the main cooked meal at lunch time, as it is tradition back home.

I run home in my lunch break if I'm on campus, and some days I am working from home in the late morning. I cook something quick (under 25 minutes). DH comes home to eat.

I save elaborate meals (1+hours) for weekend lunches - but then, too, the big meal is at midday.

Evening meal is sandwiches, salad, leftovers (if there are any). Sometimes I make a soup.

We have dinner for lunch most days because my DH works 2nd shift (3pm-11pm) and this allows him to have a nice, hot meal. On his day off we eat dinner for dinner. I usually get it started the night before (chopping veggies, putting stuff in the crockpot, putting together a casserole) so that it doesn't take so long to make in the morning. For dinner we just have whatever we would have had for a normal lunch - sandwiches, leftovers, etc.

<snip>

Tonight I ate an Apple. Not a meal but a snack.  It is rare that we sit down together at the table at night, but sometimes my wife will make something special at night. That's pretty rare.  We eat 2 very large meals a day. breakfast and Lunch. Dinner is a Snack for us.

IMHO, giving up the nightly glass of Wine may be a reason you are having trouble sleeping. Also, if you have Reflux, eating at night could cause you to have  health problems that are not trivial..

We would just have sandwiches in the evening.  I cooked in the morning when I needed to be puttering around the kitchen helping the kids with their schoolwork.   We ate around 2. That worked well, because they never wanted to eat a big meal before or after sports practice. We'd either pack sandwiches to take to practice or eat them when we got home, but either way I wasn't cleaning up the kitchen late at night.  Unfortunately now I teach every afternoon, so this just doesn't work anymore.

I agree with Lanny that you might want to try reintroducing the wine.  A glass of wine always makes me sleepy!