Menu

Literature after Figuratively Speaking

What would you recommend for literature study curriculum for an 8th grade boy who has read lots of literature, just not done much literature analysis? We've used Sonlight for many years but this year (7th grade) added Figuratively Speaking to introduce the concepts of literary analysis. I just don't know where to go from here. We don't need more books to read, just tools to analyze them.

Thanks!

Agree with previous poster: Windows to the World (gr. 9-12, or advanced grade 8) is a great program for putting those analysis tools into practice, plus a very specific section on how to write the literary analysis essay. WttW focuses on 6 short stories (included in the program) to teach annotation, how to write a literary analysis essay (using your annotations as support), and then covers using 8-10 of the more common literary elements in analyzing Literature and writing about Literature. It does come from an evangelical Christian worldview, and there are past threads with discussion on how easy/not easy it is to use by secular homeschoolers.

You might also consider doing Teaching the Classics (DVD lectures teaching YOU how to teach Literature, analyze, etc.), and watch WITH your DS. That could be a useful program to help you and DS extend into a "Do-It-Yourself" literature with the Sonlight books you are already reading.

Since you have middle school ages, you might also check out the very gentle intro program of Lightning Lit. 7 (gr. 6-8) or Lightning Lit 8 (for grades 7-9), as the workpages in esp. the second half of LL8 really guide the student into beginning literary analysis. Both also are great at covering a variety of types of works: novels of several genres, novellas, short stories, poetry, and biographies. However, each is complete 1-year program (LL7 = 8 units; LL8 = 12 units), and would require reading the books that are a part of that program. On the other hand, LL7 and LL8 are designed for the student to do it largely independently, if desired.

If you feel you still need a program after WttW, then you may want to try something like:

- Excellence in Literature (gr. 8-12) (1 year programs)

- Lightning Literature (gr. 9-12) (1 semester programs at the high school level)

- Bob Jones (gr. 9-12) (1 year programs)

- online Literature classes

One thing to bear in mind is that while Literature programs or Literature online classes provide help and specific guidance in analyzing literature, they also dictate the reading of specific books.

Otherwise, you may be happy with a Do-It-Yourself approach, and start with a few individual literature guides to go with specific works. Guides can be great at providing background info on author/times/work; discussion questions to get you started; writing assignment ideas; additional projects or resource ideas. Our family's experience was that guides were very helpful initially, and that we needed/used them less and less the farther into high school we went, as we gained more and more experience with doing Literature.

For ideas of esp. helpful guides, programs, and resources for "DIY" Literature after Figuratively Speaking, see the big list of links in post #5 of the past thread: "Need a literature guide for any book".

BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Mine go from Figuratively Speaking to Windows to the World, but they do FS in 8th and WttW in 9th.  Not sure if it would be too much for your 8th grader or not.  Then they use Excellence in Literature units after WttW.

Mine are doing this also. We're using Figuratively Speaking this year. My dd will use Windows to the World in 8th. My ds will use it in 11th. He has already started Excellence in Literature in 10th. DD will start Excellence in Literature in 8th grade.

Mine are doing this also. We're using Figuratively Speaking this year. My dd will use Windows to the World in 8th. My ds will use it in 11th. He has already started Excellence in Literature in 10th. DD will start Excellence in Literature in 8th grade.

So you are going to use WttW and EiL both in 8th?

How to Read Literature Like a Professor for Kids (or there is a more mature one not specifically for kids) is awesome for taking this next step. It's just a book, not a curriculum, but was a game-changer around here. Our public library has it.