Menu

What can I add to CLE Algebra to make it a bit more enjoyable?

AimeeM

DD is doing well with it, but she's burning out. Frankly, she's burned out on CLE... period. I feel the need to keep going with it, since... well, you know, I bought it, lol. I could move her to something else, but that would be difficult (finding the correct placement in another program, yada yada).

She is particularly "over" ("totally over") the word problems in CLE. 

Anything?

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot about Zaccaro's! I've had that in my Amazon cart for a while! How is it split up? Could I use the word problems *instead of* the word problems in CLE?

The more I think about it, the more I'm considering just moving her now - even if it means repeating some things - into a program we can use long term (since CLE ends after Algebra 1). While she's doing well, she hasn't went terribly far (so far this winter, the kids have had the flu, pneumonia, and are currently down with bronchitis), so I don't think it would be terrible to just go ahead and move. She's done several years with CLE (supplementing with Math Mammoth), and I think she's just sick of it. 

She never cared for for Life of Fred and doesn't do well with computer programs... but I had also forgot about Hands On Equations. What are algebra tiles? Are they manipulatives?

Before adding something...What about making the current program more "fun" or at least a little different...here are the ideas that have worked for us: 

For word problems: Do them on a "small/individual" white board. Then just transfer the *answer* to the workbook. 

I'm a scribe. The student tells me what to write, I write it on the white board, scrap paper or sometimes in their workbook. 

I'm a student too. We do the problem individually and then see if we get the same answer. 

I don't do all of the above for every lesson. I've picked 2-3 days a week and do a couple problems for the lesson this way. It breaks up the lesson, making it "fun" or different for the student while allowing me to *see* they are understanding the concepts. 

Some problems could be done *orally*. This does take some work from the parent to detemine what problems can be done that way. But even just a couple can really help.  

Before adding something...What about making the current program more "fun" or at least a little different...here are the ideas that have worked for us: 

For word problems: Do them on a "small/individual" white board. Then just transfer the *answer* to the workbook. 

I'm a scribe. The student tells me what to write, I write it on the white board, scrap paper or sometimes in their workbook. 

I'm a student too. We do the problem individually and then see if we get the same answer. 

I don't do all of the above for every lesson. I've picked 2-3 days a week and do a couple problems for the lesson this way. It breaks up the lesson, making it "fun" or different for the student while allowing me to *see* they are understanding the concepts. 

Some problems could be done *orally*. This does take some work from the parent to detemine what problems can be done that way. But even just a couple can really help.  

You know, that might do the trick. She LOVES it when I do her work "with her". She hates working alone. I need to brush up on my algebra anyway - I think she'd really love this idea. 

I do think I'll add in some Zaccaro's for word problems... but I'll also admit that I'm more than a little sick of CLE's word problems, too (it isn't just her; love CLE, but their word problems are boring).