Menu

Vera Bradley bags--is it possible to keep them looking nice long-term?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I love a few of the VB bags, and I keep going back and forth on buying one. I can never decide on one when I look online and they end up seeming really busy (pattern-wise) to me, but then when I see one in real life, I'm always struck by how lovely they are. However, I've also seen ones that look flat and dingy and sad. Is that inevitable? Is there any way to wash them without ruining the structure of the bag? Or is there some other way to keep them nice and crisp and fresh-looking?

Thanks!

Don't get ones with a white background. My latest one has a white background and it is HARD to keep it looking nice without repeatedly washing it. I had one with a black background and it wasn't too bad. Get the one with the removable cardboard bottom. They stay pretty crisp. My other bag I carried for 2 years nonstop, and the fabric still looked crisp, although the handles started to fray a bit around the edges.

I have a few, and they all look great still. I don't wash them often, but I put them in a pillowcase and wash on delicate/handwash cycle when I do, and let them air dry. I wonder if you're seeing knockoffs and think they look sad? There's a huge difference in fabric quality.

Thanks all. I feel better about it now! I'm looking at the Hipster bag, and it doesn't look as though it has any cardboard at all, actually. 

The ones I've seen may very well have been knockoffs, I'm not sure, or maybe just not well cared for. Now that the kids are older, my handbags tend to take less of a beating :lol: So it shouldn't be too hard for me to take good care of it.

Thanks!

I only have one and it has a white background.  And I bought it when I had a toddler and a baby.  Bad idea! LOL  Besides the dirtiness of it, my other problem is that it has frayed/split in some area (mostly the shoulder straps).  I don't know if I'm particularly hard on it (I don't think so) or what.  I was really disappointed that it happened.  I've not found another pattern I really like since that one, so I haven't purchased any others.  I think I'd try again if I ever did find another pattern I really like...but I am a bit hesitant now.  

My 4 year old dd got one from my mil over a year ago. She uses it constantly, Leaves it on the floor most if the time when not in use, and is not be the with it at all but it still looks pretty new. I haven't even had to wash it yet. So they seem to hold up well under pressure

Thanks all. I feel better about it now! I'm looking at the Hipster bag, and it doesn't look as though it has any cardboard at all, actually. 

The ones I've seen may very well have been knockoffs, I'm not sure, or maybe just not well cared for. Now that the kids are older, my handbags tend to take less of a beating :lol: So it shouldn't be too hard for me to take good care of it.

Thanks!

You're right - there's not any cardboard in the hipster.  The hipster is my favorite except my personal calendar (9x6) barely fits.  If it did, I would never carry anything else.