Menu

Attuneup: Essay Practioner

My daughters are about to start Essay Practitioner through Attuneup. 

I am really excited. 

The online class involves: webinars, assignments, videos, reading the History of Medicine and writing about it.

All my girls' writing have improved since starting with Attuneup. They have learned that writing is a process and it requires practice and revision. I do not hear moans and groans about writing anymore. No more tears. 

Amy is a gifted and patient teacher.

It is a Christian program but I never felt it was too much Christian. 

http://www.attuneup.com/

You pay what you can and pay as you go. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At least you have a futures list. What a good idea... I need to start that.So many great ideas from this group..

Next year I need to find a writing program as my 13yrs old is beyond Time Capsule as they have taken it twice and my 11yrs need another year of developing other skills before attacking it again...

My daughters are about to start Essay Practitioner through Attuneup. 

I am really excited. 

The online class involves: webinars, assignments, videos, reading the History of Medicine and writing about it.

All my girls' writing have improved since starting with Attuneup. They have learned that writing is a process and it requires practice and revision. I do not hear moans and groans about writing anymore. No more tears. 

Amy is a gifted and patient teacher.

It is a Christian program but I never felt it was too much Christian. 

http://www.attuneup.com/

You pay what you can and pay as you go. 

Happycc, I've checked out the website and it looks good. I have a question, though, if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts. I noticed that the Bible is listed as one of the two required texts for both the Time Capsule and the Essay Practitioner. Could you please elaborate on how the Bible is used in these classes?

• Like 1

Bible....I know some parents had their kids skip the Bible assignments.  Just talk to the teacher about it. They were some worksheets in reference to a few verses from what I remembered. Not a whole lot of Bible stuff. 

I really don't see too much reference to the Bible but I am not completely on the online/assignments situation. I let the kids handle it and figure it out. If they have questions they ask her via sending her an email.  I just watch the outcome and so far so good. 

The girls say right now there is no Bible work. Our family is in the middle of a move and some things are packed up and all my Bibles/Christian stuff is packed up in the new house somewhere. so no Bible has been pulled out for any assignments just yet. If there will be Bible work I suppose they look it up on line or on the phone. They say with Essay Practictioner they pray at the end of the webinar and I would guess if a family didn;t want their child to participate they can just end the webinar right before this begins.  

With Time Capsule, maybe Bible used once or twice in some assignments. I can stomach Attuneup. I cannot stomach Rod and Staff. Rod and Staff sentences was just too much for me. 

• Like 1

Bible....I know some parents had their kids skip the Bible assignments.  Just talk to the teacher about it. They were some worksheets in reference to a few verses from what I remembered. Not a whole lot of Bible stuff. 

I really don't see too much reference to the Bible but I am not completely on the online/assignments situation. I let the kids handle it and figure it out. If they have questions they ask her via sending her an email.  I just watch the outcome and so far so good. 

The girls say right now there is no Bible work. Our family is in the middle of a move and some things are packed up and all my Bibles/Christian stuff is packed up in the new house somewhere. so no Bible has been pulled out for any assignments just yet. If there will be Bible work I suppose they look it up on line or on the phone. They say with Essay Practictioner they pray at the end of the webinar and I would guess if a family didn;t want their child to participate they can just end the webinar right before this begins.  

With Time Capsule, maybe Bible used once or twice in some assignments. I can stomach Attuneup. I cannot stomach Rod and Staff. Rod and Staff sentences was just too much for me. 

Thank you for addressing my question. This is very helpful.

Good luck with your move!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the age range for these classes varies pretty widely.  For example, The Essay Practitioner ranges from 12-15.  I can't help help but wonder if it would be too basic for my son who will be in 9th grade this Fall.  He has complete WWS I & II which includes some pretty demanding writing assignments and associated instruction.  I'm thinking this really varies on student by student basis.

• Like 1

Derek-i think TEP would be too easy for a 9th grader who has completed WWS1 and 2. I'd probably go with a WTM Academy class.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar.  So far our 'rough' plan is to go through LToW for 9th grade.  But I am still considering other options.  I'm really not as interested in the WTM Academy for various reasons which I've mentioned in the recent thread on it.  

Attuneup actually caught my attention when I saw you were using it and I like what I see on their website.  However, it may be more age appropriate for our youngers once they are at that level.  Still, it looks like a good writing program overall, possibly better for middle school aged students.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

An older thread, but I just signed up my son for the next phase of TEP. He's 16, but needs some remedial work. Are the webinars absolutely necessary? I can make it work, but our co-op is during the only times that are available. Is it recorded for kids that cannot watch live? 

• Like 1

I agree webinar are important. We missed the last one and we are bummed over here. We got caught up with cramming for stupid common core test and doing geometry problems. We got very little math done this year because of the needs of the little ones. Sigh!

Derek surfs do you have a sample of your child's writing? If so email Amy and see what she thinks. She is extremely accommodating and can tell you if the class will match your child or not.

Thanks, we're leaning toward LToW currently. But we'll consider your suggestion if that changes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking phase 10 right now, and I signed my son up for phase 11 after the first week. I love this class! Amy is amazing. My son is not watching the webinar live for this phase, but he watches the recording. It's not ideal, but we couldn't make it work for this particular phase. 

• 3 weeks later...