Menu

inventor/scientist study

parias1126

I'm looking to put together my own inventor/scientist study for my son who is 11. Have any of you done this? I would love for it to be in chronological order so I've been scouring the Internet looking for a list such as this. I want to add interesting books as he is ADHD and really  needs to be interested in something to be able to focus. He is not the best reader (mostly comprehension is where his issues lies even with all the narrating we've worked on). He learns best with videos and the self-guided approach to learning so that he doesn't feel overwhelmed. I would love links for Netflix movies, YouTube videos, websites, or anything else that you've found helpful. I would like to incorporate all his spelling/vocabulary/grammar with this as well. I guess I'm looking at putting together sort of a Unit Study (I'm sorta just thinking out loud at this point). I would love any ideas you may have. 

Well, my dd is quite a bit younger, but we have been working on it a bit so I can share a few things we have.

The Pandia Press timelines with stickers to give her a rough chronological scope. And they are fun!

I found a great set of Junio Classics audiobooks. They are called Great Inventors and their Inventions, Great Scientists and their Discoveries:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CF65MNM/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?qid=1422043761&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

The Timeline games, specifically Inventions and Discoveries have been a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005N57CNU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1422044093&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=61Hr5dcMg3L&ref=plSrch

We also like the Who Was...series, which may be about the reading level you are looking for.

Looking forward to what else you and the Hive come up with!

Here are 3 links to some studies I have found in relation to Inventions and Design. Of course you can buy the books individually but they all look great. I am using a bit from all of them next year for a study. I am really excited about it and can't wait.

http://www.nlpg.com/catalog/product/view/id/2124

http://bfbooks.com/Literature-Packs/History-Of-Science-Packs

http://www.christianbook.com/gods-design-physical-world-student-manuals/pd/401257?event=ESRCG

Oh, be sure to watch the old black and white movies with Spency Tracy and Mickey Rooney. The first one is called, I think, The Young Tom Edison and the sequel is called Edison the Man. I will check about that for sure.

There is also a good movie we watched some years ago called The Sounds and the Silence about Alexander Graham Bell.

If you look on the website www.libraryvideo.com you should be able to find some fun titles you might be able to get from your library.

Really, I just google and fish around on youtube. It is surprising how many documentaries and dramatic reenactment type movies you can find.

Sclessinger Media puts out some good movies for children that you might find helpful.

Sclessinger Media puts out some good movies for children that you might find helpful.

Yes! We have watched some really good videos from the library put out by Schlessinger Media.

Also, he may not be into this like my kid is, but The Unemployed Philosopher's Guild makes some ridiculously cute finger puppets in famous scientists and inventors. We have a bunch of them like Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, etc., as well as people of history. Dd loves to reenact things she has learned:)

Brain Pop and Brain Pop, Jr. Also have some good clips.

It sounds like you are describing "Understanding the Inventions that Changed the World" from Great Courses.  It is chronological, video based (36 - 30 min. lessons), and my 9 and 11yo with ADHD think the instructor is extremely interesting (stiff, but interesting).  The course is on sale for the next few weeks for just $50, which is a fantastic deal!  

There's also the History of Science program available from Beautiful Feet, which contains much biographical information, and the Chicago Press "____ for Kids" series: Galileo for Kids; Newton for Kids; Leonardo da Vinci for kids.  These books can be great even if you don't do most of the activities (which vary in terms of actual educational/scientific value) b/c of the text, but the quality may be irregular (b/c different books have different authors).  Also the text comes in smaller chunks great for building narration skills. 

The Cosmos series (deGrasse Tyson) had a good deal of inventor/scientist information and would be a great investment.  We like Schlessinger here, too. 

My favorite YouTube find is this phenomenal, very very old educational video explaining differential gears which we were otherwise at a loss to understand (after reading about them in The New Way Things Work): differential tutorial.  You should totally look at that one!!!