Menu

Most readable version of greek mythology

I'm looking for something readable and enjoyable.  I've found these and was wondering if anyone had an opinion.  Thanks!

Ruth in NZ

Bulfinch's Mythology (Modern Library Paperback Edition, 2004)
Mythology by Edith Hamilton (originally published in 1942; Back Bay Books edition of 1998)
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves (Penguin Books combined edition, 1992)
Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece by Gustav Schwab (Pantheon Books, copyright 1946) (translated from German)
Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis (Harper Collins, 2005)
Myths of the Ancient Greeks by Richard P. Martin (New American Library, 2003)

I'm looking for something readable and enjoyable.  I've found these and was wondering if anyone had an opinion.  Thanks!

Ruth in NZ

Bulfinch's Mythology (Modern Library Paperback Edition, 2004)

Mythology by Edith Hamilton (originally published in 1942; Back Bay Books edition of 1998)

The Greek Myths by Robert Graves (Penguin Books combined edition, 1992)

Gods and Heroes of Ancient Greece by Gustav Schwab (Pantheon Books, copyright 1946) (translated from German)

Don't Know Much About Mythology by Kenneth C. Davis (Harper Collins, 2005)

Myths of the Ancient Greeks by Richard P. Martin (New American Library, 2003)

What do you want to accomplish?

Do you just want to know what the myths are? Or do you want to get intimate with them? :D

Do you want only retellings or do you want to read the sources where those retellings came from?

What do you want to accomplish?

Do you just want to know what the myths are? Or do you want to get intimate with them? :D

Do you want only retellings or do you want to read the sources where those retellings came from?

Just familiarity and joy. :001_smile:  Beautiful, evocative language would be nice.  Clarity in the relationships between the characters would also be nice.

It's not high school level, but Percy Jackson's Greek Gods is worth buying for any Rick Riordan fan. It's only $15 in the states; I don't know if it's readily available other places. 

My 9th-grader plowed through the entire book quickly and loved it. It's great for familiarity and fun, and can be followed up by picking and choosing certain myths to read again in a different book. If you don't like Percy Jackson, you might try the same thing with Oh My Gods, which is a modern retelling of the myths. 

edited b/c it should be gods, not heroes 

Just bumping this up to see if there are any more thoughts on Ruth's initial list.

I am thinking about a combined English/Ancient History for my 10th grader next year. I think classical mythology would be great for her, but she is dyslexic, so I need texts she can get through in a reasonable amount of time. Readability is key (or audio versions).

I see Lukeion uses this anthology, but I wonder if it might be too dense. 

The National Mythology Exam uses Guerber for high school level:

Guerber, H. A. The Myths of Greece and Rome, New York, Dover Publications, Inc., 1993

And here are some recommendations from the Medusa Mythology Exam:

Bulfinch, Thomas, Greek and Roman Mythology

D’Aulaire, Ingri, and D’Aulaire, Edgar, Book of Greek Myths

Grant, Michael, and Hazel, John, Who’s Who In Classical Mythology

Hamilton, Edith, Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes

Grimal, Pierre, The Penguin Dictionary of Classical Mythology

Morford, Mark, and Lenardon, Robert J., Classical Mythology

Oxford Classical Dictonary

Tripp, Edward, Handbook of Classical Mythology

It's not high school level, but Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes is worth buying for any Rick Riordan fan. It's only $15 in the states; I don't know if it's readily available other places. 

My 9th-grader plowed through the entire book quickly and loved it. It's great for familiarity and fun, and can be followed up by picking and choosing certain myths to read again in a different book. If you don't like Percy Jackson, you might try the same thing with Oh My Gods, which is a modern retelling of the myths. 

Where did you buy this? I read online that the date of publication is Percy's birthday in Aug 2015!

We own the Gustav Schwab in Dutch, DH used it in Highschool.

To today standerds it isn't a cosy, enjoyable reading.

We have better retellings in Dutch now.

I think Schwab used to be a 'classic' in these areas.

According to Ester Maria Schwab used to be *the* standard for teaching Greek mythology in European schools. I remember reading it in high school, not assigned by school, but just because I was interested, but it was't a very exciting read.