Menu

Any advice for missing long stretch of school.?

gingersmom

Day 5 of son being in hospital so I have too much time to think.

He is back in public school this year for 9 th grade.

He missed 4 days last week and will miss 3 days this week.

Even if I pick up schoolwork I am not sure he is up too it (seriously lacking in sleep and now having trouble what he can eat pain free)

Anyone have experience dealing with school? What I should be asking for? My daughters private school gave her a medical leave in her records when she missed over a week due to flu. Not sure if public school does that.

His academic classes (not electives) are all after lunch. In a perfect world I would love for him to switch to part time but not sure if they will do mid year.

Any advice welcome.

I'd probably just ask them what their make-up policies are. I can't imagine a public school allowing a 9th grader to go part time. I've only seen that for seniors, where they took a few classes they needed to graduate and then worked. Work was a requirement for the shorter school day.

I can only tell you of my experience.  I had Mono in 11th grade.  I missed about a month.  When I finally did go to school I was still sick so I got a doctor's note excusing me for falling asleep during class.  I was able to make the work up little by little.  I'm sure policies vary, but you won't know until you ask.  I don't think that's an amount of time that I'd consider too much to catch up. 

I'd probably just ask them what their make-up policies are. I can't imagine a public school allowing a 9th grader to go part time. I've only seen that for seniors, where they took a few classes they needed to graduate and then worked. Work was a requirement for the shorter school day.

Our state allows any mix of part time school enrollment and homeschooling, but I know that most states are not so flexible. Some kind of home study is usually possible for medical needs though.

Call his guidance counselor. She should be able to help you. They may be willing to go minimum day at this point. Or maybe hospital/home bound until he is ready to return. You might want to request a 504, especially if this will be a continuing problem. They may ask for a note from the doctor. It isn't because they don't believe you. It is because they may need the documentation for a state audit at some point.

It's only 7 days so far but I am expecting more days missed unfortunately.

My state is very homeschool friendly, I just wonder if we can switch mid year.

I emailed guidance counselor but haven't heard back yet so I think and wonder and begin to worry.

He adores school so missing it is not making him happy.

Our state allows any mix of part time school enrollment and homeschooling, but I know that most states are not so flexible. Some kind of home study is usually possible for medical needs though.

Nice to be able to blend. For medical, here, they do what they call "homebound". For that, a teacher comes once or twice a week, meets with the student, gives them work to do until the next visit, and proctors any tests.

A friend of ours daughter broke her leg really bad this school year and was going to miss quite a bit. The school sent out tutors to help her and she was taking AP classes.  I am sure this isn't the first time the school has run into this and will have adequate plans in place to help. I wouldn't worry to much about it.  It sounds like you have enough other worries on your plate. :grouphug: