Menu

Well, this could get interesting. NYT article on Stanford students gaining admission files

Hoggirl

I'm not sure I'd want to see what was written.

It also makes me think that less will be written in the future - more will simply be discussed in committees and then kept off the record with just basic boxes checked (or not).

I suspect employers also ought to consider the possibilities that could happen if ALL info could become public.

• Like 1

I've seen my whole file from the college I attended. They are happy to set it up on microfilm readers for you and even let you print free copies. It was pretty amusing to look back at my essay with its high school pretentiousness.

• Like 5

Talked to ds this afternoon. He had already put in his request and said about half his friends had already done so as well. He said he figured it couldn't be "bad," since he was accepted (though he was initially deferred in REA), and he was just curious. Other than curiosity, reasons I am seeing/hearing include wanting to know for the potential benefit of younger siblings and wanting to see if URM status was a factor. No idea if the latter info would be there to see or not. One kid on CC said, "All my friends said I only got in 'cause I am a URM. We'll find out."

• Like 1

Talked to ds this afternoon. He had already put in his request and said about half his friends had already done so as well. He said he figured it couldn't be "bad," since he was accepted (though he was initially deferred in REA), and he was just curious. Other than curiousity, reasons I am seeing/hearing include wanting to know for the potential benefit of younger siblings and wanting to see if URM status was a factor. No idea if the latter info would be there to see or not. One kid on CC said, "All my friends said I only got in 'cause I am a URM. We'll find out."

But every applicant already knows their own stats and achievements, right? And they know the general stats of the their school. They either match up pretty well or they don't. There are many more qualified applicants than spaces, so, if you are well-qualified, why worry about it? 

If someone gets into a very selective school with below average stats, they have to already know something pushed them over the top. You either have some other hook, or yes, it was your URM status. If it was, that might make for some awkward follow-up conversations with those friends (who are pretty rude if they told him that's why he got in!).

I doubt it will be noted that explicitly anyway - when I worked, we would never in a million years have made any specific comments in writing about URMs, diversity, or any remotely touchy subjects whatsoever. There might have been a general policy about increasing diversity in the workplace, but no way on earth would we have noted anything on a specific application. 

• Like 1

But every applicant already knows their own stats and achievements, right? And they know the general stats of the their school. They either match up pretty well or they don't. There are many more qualified applicants than spaces, so, if you are well-qualified, why worry about it?

If someone gets into a very selective school with below average stats, they have to already know something pushed them over the top. You either have some other hook, or yes, it was your URM status. If it was, that might make for some awkward follow-up conversations with those friends (who are pretty rude if they told him that's why he got in!).

I doubt it will be noted that explicitly anyway - when I worked, we would never in a million years have made any specific comments in writing about URMs, diversity, or any remotely touchy subjects whatsoever. There might have been a general policy about increasing diversity in the workplace, but no way on earth would we have noted anything on a specific application.

I agree. Just "reporting" reasons I am hearing as to why some students want to request the info. I, too, doubt that any URM references will be in there. And, looking for info to help siblings is likely pointless as well given their holistic approach.

Can non accepted students get their files?

No.

ETA: Actually, I believe there was some speculation about this - that it might be worth a shot. The report I read said that they do not know how long rejected students' records are kept. I don't expect records will be around much longer for anyone. My understanding is that it is Admissions' discretion as to how long any students' records are kept. Once the request is made, they cannot be destroyed, but I don't think that applies if they have yet to be requested. The consensus I am seeing is that if students (at least Stanford students) want to see their records, they need to request them ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Just updating a bit on this topic if anyone is interested.

Stanford released to requesting students through student computer accounts all of their own application materials (stuff that students themselves had submitted). Review of *other* documents requires an appointment to be set up to personally go in to view them. The FERPA language indicates that students have a right to "inspect and review" them. Students are currently setting up appointments to go in to see them. No hard copies given and no photographs allowed at these appointments.

No idea if ds will follow through or not. Totally up to him. I think for many it will depend on what early viewers see and what spreads through the rumor mill.

Additionally, this column was also shared with all students who made FERPA requests:

http://files.parsintl.com/eprints/84787.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, this column was also shared with all students who made FERPA requests:

http://files.parsintl.com/eprints/84787.pdf

OT: I do enjoy reading Joel Stein's writing.  Maybe I'm biased because he's a graduate of our local high school. He created quite a fracas a few years ago writing about our how our town demographics has changed.

Thanks for linking this article.

• Like 2