Menu

What science for a 9th grader who hasn't had algera yet?

My daughter will be in 9th grade next fall.  We are just now getting started on pre-algebra (because of a math nightmare that would take forever to explain).  But I don't want her to get trapped in a science course that will assume she had algebra.  So I need every possible program you can think of that might fit this situation.  I have months to figure this out, but it might take me months too.  And while you are at it, if you have any suggestions for the next couple years as to what is the best plan to pair up the math she will need with the science she will need.

Also, what is the bare bones in math she can take if she still plans on college?  Math is NOT her strong point at all and I just need to know what to expect for the next couple years.  thanks.

Biology doesn't require math.  I would think you could use any program or textbook intended for high school students and be fine.  

Bare bones math for college is probably Algebra II.  But I would check the admissions requirements for the colleges she is interested in.  The community colleges here don't require anything but a placement test for math.  They have courses starting with arithmetic (though anything below precalculus/college algebra is considered remedial).

Biology, conceptual physical science (physics + chemistry), or earth science should all be completely reasonable.

As far as college math goes, the best plan is for her to continue taking some form of math every year. The students who skip math senior year tend to struggle significantly with it at college. How much math she gets through is going to affect which colleges she is eligible for, but do not hurry excessively because of that. If she gets through algebra 2 and wants to go to a college that requires more than that, she should be able to take college algebra + precalc at a community college and apply as a transfer. If she only gets through algebra 1, it would be a bit more challenging and possibly require two years of CC (I would not enroll a struggling student in a summer course). 

I'd go with Earth Science or Physical Science.  Our State Universities require at least 1 semester of Trig or Pre-Calc.  Can I ask what you're using for Pre-Alg and what you're planning on using for Algebra 1?

One option for both Science and Math is Power Basics from Walch Education.  Very simple explanations with a "just the facts" style of learning.

The difference between Physical Science or ICP courses designed for 8th vs 9th grade in public school texts is the inclusion of algebra based math.

I'd go with Biology - no math required. Earth science could also be a safe choice if you want an alternative.

ETA: Bare bones minimum on math is Algebra 2 here. Can't get into college with less. More is good, but that is the minimum.

The difference between Physical Science or ICP courses designed for 8th vs 9th grade in public school texts is the inclusion of algebra based math.

I'd go with Biology - no math required. Earth science could also be a safe choice if you want an alternative.

I'm not sure this is true. Lots of kids do take algebra 1 in 9th grade concurrently with ICP. The ICP class I took in 9th grade (back in the Upper Neolithic but I think it still holds true, didn't require any algebra at all). Neither did the biology I took in 10th grade. Kolbe's ICP class is also meant to be taken simultaneously with algebra 1.

The book Kolbe uses suggests Algebra as a prerequisite. It can be done concurrently. I used it with both of my kids (not Kolbe, the text). The one who did Algebra concurrently with it struggled more with the math involved. The one who had completed Algebra was able to focus on the science.

I think as a bare minimum if you're looking at state schools, you'll want your child to have reached graduation level for your district.

For us (MD), they require 4 classes, with Algebra 1 being the lowest class that comes with credit.  Based on the sequences that are available, these would be the easiest sequences you could take at our local high school, and still end up with a diploma.

Algebra 1 (with or without a second class called "Related Math", that's taken simultaneously, and counts as an elective)

Geometry (with or without "Geometry Support", which again counts as an elective

Bridge to Algebra 2 (a review of Algebra 1 and a preview of Algebra 2)

Algebra 2 or Quantitative Literacy 

The next easiest sequence would be

Algebra 1

Geometry

Algebra 2

Quantitative Literacy, Statistics, Precalculus, or AP Stats (that's in order from easiest to hardest)

Does your student have any post high school ideas or plan yet?

For many 4 year BA degrees - college algebra is still required  

to answer your question

for 9th go with a regular HS Biology class 

look on existing Biology threads for info