Menu

Math Kangaroo

Rivka

Does anyone here have experience with the Math Kangaroo contest?

Both my kids signed up to do it, because Colin (age 5) has felt really left out with Alex (age 9) doing math competitions. Their website is not the easiest to interpret, however. The practice test questions are grouped as "level 1&2," "level 3&4," etc. I am trying to figure out if that means that first and second graders take the same test, 3rd and 4th graders take the same test, etc. I thought they offered on-level testing for grade 1 to 12, but maybe that just means that Colin's scores on a grade 1&2 test will only be compared with other 1st graders?

Yes, and even for the higher grade it's challenging. My daughter has taken it 3 years. 2 of the years she has been first in state and high-nineties national percentile, but her highest score so far is 88/97 (as compared with Noetic, if your older has done those, where she's always scored 95 or 100).

Rivka, do you normally scribe math for Colin or does he work more independently? I didn't sign Sacha (5) up for MK, not because I don't think he could handle the math, but because he's never worked that independently before. He likes to do a page of Singapore here and there, but mostly I scribe for math. I was planning to do MK next year, but now I am wondering if perhaps I am underestimating him.   

Rivka, do you normally scribe math for Colin or does he work more independently? I didn't sign Sacha (5) up for MK, not because I don't think he could handle the math, but because he's never worked that independently before. He likes to do a page of Singapore here and there, but mostly I scribe for math. I was planning to do MK next year, but now I am wondering if perhaps I am underestimating him.   

Sometimes he writes for himself but usually I scribe for him. Math Kangaroo uses a bubble sheet, so we will definitely need to do some practice with the format.

If Colin were my oldest, I totally would not have signed him up for this year. It was important to him to have the opportunity because his sister competes in math contests.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, SeaQuest, Colin has now been through an entire MK practice test.  The math is not out of reach for him at all, but he does have some trouble understanding what the problems are asking for. Sometimes he makes odd assumptions. For example, "how many animals are there in the picture on the right?" At first he thought that he shouldn't count the leftmost animal in the picture, because the question says "on the right." I had to explain that the question just meant that the picture was located to the right of the words in the question. Once I explain what the question is asking for, he can solve them.

So no, I don't think you're underestimating your 5yo by waiting until next year.  ;)   Let's just say that I have doubts about how much Colin's score is going to reflect his actual math ability. Testing is weird when you're not used to it.

It's a tough test just due to length. My DD has a harder time with MK than the EXPLORE even though the EXPLORE is longer, because it is 30 minutes, then change to a different subject (and have a chance to get up, move around, get a drink, go to the restroom, etc), while MK is very solid. This year, I'm probably going to end up asking them to send DD out after 60 minutes, done or not, because she has another activity on Thursday nights that we'll have to leave to get to.

Let's just say that I have doubts about how much Colin's score is going to reflect his actual math ability. Testing is weird when you're not used to it.

My boys want me to sign them up because of the kangaroo soft toy :lol: My boys also interpret questions in the weirdest ways and different from each other sometimes. I don't expect their score to reflect anything.

ETA:

Didn't realize about the time part. Will have to make sure my older is well fed before test or he will be very hungry.

It's not always a Kangaroo-last year it was a Frisbee. DD was disappointed. She'd rather have the Kangaroo. She does love the t-shirt, though.

Our local center gave out a goody bag last year (full of cheap plastic toys that I don't think will ever get used more than once).

Okay, SeaQuest, Colin has now been through an entire MK practice test.  The math is not out of reach for him at all, but he does have some trouble understanding what the problems are asking for. Sometimes he makes odd assumptions. For example, "how many animals are there in the picture on the right?" At first he thought that he shouldn't count the leftmost animal in the picture, because the question says "on the right." I had to explain that the question just meant that the picture was located to the right of the words in the question. Once I explain what the question is asking for, he can solve them.

So no, I don't think you're underestimating your 5yo by waiting until next year.  ;)   Let's just say that I have doubts about how much Colin's score is going to reflect his actual math ability. Testing is weird when you're not used to it.

This is very helpful. I could see the same types of things happening here, as he is just not ready to work that long independently. For us, I don't think there is much to be gained from doing it this year, and he might just end up frustrated due to his [inherited] perfectionism issues. Thanks again for the update, Rivka.

Is it necessary for the kids to actually practice?

I think it's up to you and your kids. When my 9yo took the AMC-8 it was her first encounter with a bubble sheet, so she needed some practice to feel comfortable bubbling in her answers. It was her first timed test, so I wanted her to have some experience with a time limit. For the AMC-8 I think it was also important for her to get exposure to how hard the test is, so that she could come up with an approach strategy and wouldn't freak out on the day.

For Math Kangaroo, the test is on-level, the time limit is generous, and she's already had bubble sheet experience, so yeah, practice doesn't seem necessary. She's taken two practice tests and scored in the mid-80s (out of 96) each time. She'd be fine walking right in to the test unprepared.

On the other hand, my 5yo really wanted to take the test, but he is completely unfamiliar with (a) testing, (b) doing math without Mom sitting at his elbow, © bubble sheets, (d) time limits, (e) multiple choice format, (f) interpreting questions without being able to clarify them with an adult. So practice is definitely necessary for him.

I think there is value in doing previous years tests even if your child is not taking this years test at all. The problems are beautiful and very logical. They are quite hard even though the level of math required to solve them is at or below grade level. Richard Rusczyk speaks about going deep in a subject instead of rushing through to the next level (Do a web search for "calculus trap"). Doing MK problems would certainly qualify as going deep.