Menu

FAFSA and dual enrollment

Time for FAFSA, now that it's January 1st!

Can I count my dual enrollment students in my total headcount of college students? I'm thinking yes, because they are legitimately earning college credit. Or maybe there's a stipulation that they have to be full time?

Thanks!

Lisa

According to our CC financial aid office, and what I have read online, you cannot count DE students as college students.  

I didn't have to do FAFSA for my DE student, just myself (full time student).  I'm in TN though.  We have a grant/Hope program for DE students that require a different aid form.

OK, found the answer to my own question. I'll post it here for anyone else who's interested:

"This number includes others only if they will attend at least half-time in 2014-2015 in a program that leads to a college degree or certificate. This number must include the student that completed the FAFSA, even if the student will attend college less than half-time in 2014-2015.

This number does not include the student’s parents, even if they are enrolled at least half-time in 2014-2015 in a program leading to a degree or certificate. This number does not include students at a U.S. service academy, because most of their primary educational expenses are paid for by the federal government."

OK, found the answer to my own question. I'll post it here for anyone else who's interested:

"This number includes others only if they will attend at least half-time in 2014-2015 in a program that leads to a college degree or certificate. This number must include the student that completed the FAFSA, even if the student will attend college less than half-time in 2014-2015.

Okay...So if a high school student is attending the community college full-time in a program that will lead to an AA, wouldn't that count?  Does anyone know the answer to this?

ETA -Found my answer from maize's reference (fastweb.com)

...Dual enrollment programs are discussed on page 1-5 of the 2010-11 Federal Student Aid Handbook, which states: “A student enrolled in elementary or secondary school is not eligible for aid from the FSA programs, even if she is simultaneously enrolled in an eligible college program. A student is considered to be enrolled in secondary school if she is pursuing a high school diploma or if she has completed the requirements for a diploma, has not yet received it, and either she is taking college coursework for which her high school gives credit or her high school still considers her to be enrolled there.†

Shoot - I have got to change that FAFSA report already.

Yup.  You have to be a high school graduate in the eyes of the FAFSA.

Also you have watch the same things for federal tax benefits.  The American Opportunity Tax Credit is for high school graduates pursuing higher education.  Not for dual enrollment.

However, the Lifetime Learning Credit does apply for dual enrollment.