Menu

Storing/Displaying Fruit and Winter Squash

I have more than a dozen winter squash sitting on my counter and more on the floor of my kitchen due to lack of space. I cannot figure out a way to store it all. I was looking at different fruit display baskets and they are either too small or impractical or they are an ugly plastic. I do not want plastic. I would like the squash look nice and add something to my kitchen. I have been looking at metal wall basket racks and I like the look and I have a place to put them that would be perfect. But they are tiny. I might get two of the smallest squash in one and still have squash that is sitting out because it is too big for a basket. 

I am looking for suggestions that are not plastic. I am hoping the Hive has some ideas.

I have a deep punch bowl that I pull out when I have more than my usual amount of counter-top fruits/veg.

(I have two of my regular size bowls, and a few small bowls that I think are intended as sundae cups -- they coordinate reasonably well. Between all that, I can usually prettily display anything from one lonely lemon to a good sized haul.)

Gardener's Supply sells 6- and 9- drawer Orchard Storage Racks. Here is the 6-drawer one:

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/harvest-storage-rack/38-221.html?start=5&cgid=HarvestKeeping_Cat

They sell bamboo basket liners for smaller (and messier) veggies like garlic and onions.

They also sell a garden hod, which could be useful inside and out:

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/garden-hods/39-761RS.html?start=9&cgid=HarvestKeeping_Cat

Last week I saw wooden crates at Home Depot. I think they were for Christmas decorations, and they were cute. You could jazz them up somehow, but since they were kind of rustic, you might need to watch for splinters. Sorry, no link. Some folks at our local farmer's market were selling crates as well; perhaps they are trendy right now.

Maybe a baskety-type thing from Pier 1 would work?

Whatever you do, remember to check your squash about once a month for bad spots.