Menu

food processors?

gardenmom5

dd would like a food processor in which she can make pie crust.  so - I need suggestions.

and here I was all gung-ho on getting a soup tureen that went with her old town blue corelle.  (blue Danube blue onion from japan.  coordinates remarkably well.)

KungFuPanda, on 31 Dec 2014 - 9:54 PM, said:

I've had my cuisinart longer than I've had my son, and he's 14. I use it at least once a week. It even has a dough hook if you want to make a pizza crust. It came with three blades and I've never needed more.

what size is it?  there are quite a few now.  how does it work for dough?  that's what she wants it for.  pie crust.  I'm sure she'll use it for other things.  she likes to cook.  especially when she's working from home - she destresses by cooking.

I have a kitchenaid & I use it for pastry, and for grating large volumes of veg, esp beets and cabbage. It's also useful for making vegan banana ice cream & the dole whip desert thing... I think ours is 12 cup. I wouldn't get smaller than that but that might be partly because of the type of bowl ours has. You can only fill it about half way because the center funnel is that height. If you want to cream a soup etc that becomes an issue. I think some have slightly different construction of the bowl but do look at that because some of them can't really take the volume of liquid that you think they'd be able to...

I have a separate stand mixer for dough mixing.

I've been using my Blendtec blender for pie crust and biscuit dough. It's more versatile than a food processor for me. I don't have the counter space to leave my food processor out, and it's a huge ordeal to get it on the counter. My blender stays out. Just to give you more choices. ;)

ETA: I have the 14 cup Cuisinart that is a lovely beast. It can easily make a double batch of pie crust. I would use it much more in a different kitchen space. The blender is still much easier to use and clean though. :)

what size is it? there are quite a few now. how does it work for dough? that's what she wants it for. pie crust. I'm sure she'll use it for other things. she likes to cook. especially when she's working from home - she destresses by cooking.

Mine is a 12-cup bowl (probably). It works great for a quick pie crust, you just have to know not to over-mix. You use the blade for that. The dough hook is good if you're making one pizza crust or one small loaf of bread. I used it a lot before I got my stand mixer. It was nice when I was cooking for two because I didn't need a mixer or bread machine. It won't really get you through bread production for a family, but it WILL keep up with those chopping and shredding needs. It's grown with us and I use it differently now.

I have a cheaper Hamilton Beach 11 cup (I think) one I got at Target for around $40. But it has gone up in price to close to $60 now, so with a BB&B coupon (they never expire) that could put you into a higher end model there. Be sure to get a wide enough mouth, the smaller ones are frustrating as you have to cut everything in smaller chunks to feed into it.