Menu

If you have read "The Book Thief" and seen the movie as well

Liz CA

Both here. I enjoyed the book because the characters are so good, and the movie brings them to life. The actors are well chosen for their roles.

Personally, I thought it was the book that was slow getting off the ground. I believe the movie is more enjoyable having read the book. It's been a while, and while I'm sure there were changes to the plot, at the moment I can't remember ones that were horrendous. I don't seem to remember anyone getting Farramirred.

I loved both the book and the movie. I think the book is a little bit better because it develops the Death character more. The writing style is also unique, which can't really come across in a movie. The movie was good at developing the human characters, especially the foster mother. So, I think you should give the book a shot, too. 

Definitely read the book. I liked the movie, and Geoffrey Rush was the perfect Hans - but it was missing the spark that made the book so great. There are just certain things that don't translate as well in movie form - the quirkiness of the language, Death as narrator, the deepness of the relationships. You don't really get all of that from the movie. And of course they cut quite a bit of story to fit into the movie.

So yes...I would recommend that you read the book.