Menu

Latin options

Lukeion is great.  They use Wheelock's Latin (7th edition) for years 1 and 2, then Wheelock's Latin Reader for Latin 3 along with word study for Latin 3.  AP Latin uses Bolchazy materials. She also incorporates her own resources.

:iagree:

Lukeion classes are quite rigorous, and would definitely count as a full credit. There are weekly homework assignments and quizzes, and they are strict about deadlines. Most students put in 8-10 hrs/wk, and generally do VERY well on the NLE. DS has done both Greek and Latin with Lukeion (as well as many other classes & workshops), and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Another option would be Lone Pine Classical, which goes at a slower pace (AP Latin is Latin 5, vs Latin 4 with Lukeion) and has a somewhat lighter workload (~6-7 hrs/wk, including classes). They use Lingua Latina as a text, plus the teacher provides a LOT of extra materials. Lone Pine students also seem to do quite well on the NLE, and they are very involved in Classical League activities. 

There is:  Wheelock's which is a college based book which you can use Veritas Press with an online course which we did one year

there is also Scholars Online that uses Wheelock's as well. 

This year we have done Potters School for Latin Readings using Wheelock's and have liked it so far. 

Another option is using Latin Alive texts and I know Wilson Hill Academy has an online course using this course as well as Classical Academic Press has resources you can do by yourself and now they offer online classes as well.

HTH

If you are wanting self study with a series of high school books, Jenney's Latin is designed to be used with a high school student who has a strong grasp of grammar.  However, it is taken apart into tiny chunks so the student is able to directly see if they are understanding.  A bit like:  Here is the vocabulary for this section.  Here is the grammar bit for this section.  Now translate this word into English.  Translate this word into Latin.  Translate this really short sentence into English.  Translate this slightly longer sentence.  Now do this rather complex sentence.  Translate this short simple sentence into Latin.  Translate this slightly longer one.  Translate this rather complex one.

A student can pinpoint where they have an issue since each section is about ten questions.  The last section of every chapter is a paragraph in Latin using the vocabulary and a few comprehension questions.  The paragraphs are summaries of classic literature which only use the vocab that the student already has.

We have greatly liked it.  I can have my son do a section or two a day and easily cover the chapters in a week to ten days without it feeling overwhelming.  Tests happen every four chapters.

Are any of these correspondence courses vs online teachers?  Or perhaps recorded lectures?  My son will more likely be at a boarding school (starting 9th grade) that's foreign language will be...sketchy at best.  He will get credit but I would rather have him continue Latin in addition to their foreign language.  He won't have easy access to the Internet (unless he is allowed to go in the teacher's lounge), so the less internet dependent the better.  More secular than Christian would be much better too since it the school is not Christian and would probably get their knickers in a twist :)

Thanks in advance!

• 5 weeks later...

The only one I am aware of that has recorded lectures and is able to work through on your own would be the Latin Alive series by Classical Academic Press, it is Christian based but that is not really shown that I have seen through the 1st year that we have done it.  There is a DVD that goes with each lesson and it works pretty well. HTH