Menu

PSA: Meat Thermometers

Muttichen

I had a meat thermometer that I got as a wedding gift, I think, close to thirty years ago.  I always stuck it in the meat and stuck it in the oven and everything was fine.  

Until yesterday.

When it shattered into a gazillion tiny shards of glass.

All over my beef wellington.

Yup, beef wellington.  A four pound tenderloin wrapped in duxelles, prosciutto, and puff pastry.  Easily $100 of food, not to mention all the work I put into making it.  I almost cried.

After lots of intense discussion, some internet research on the dangers of digesting glass (Did you know the FDA only prohibits glass shards over 0.3 inch in prepared foods?  Ours were way tinier than that), and more intense discussion (the males were all on the side saying we should eat it), we decided to err on the side of caution and throw it out.  Did I say I almost cried?

I will never put a meat thermometer in the oven again!

Oh my. I would have cried. And it would have been hard to convince certain of my family members (not me!) to throw it out.

I am very reliant on my meat thermometer. Otherwise I overcook everything b/c I am afraid of undercooking.

ETA: I am sorry this happened to you, but I do appreciate the PSA

Ohh that's a major bummer.  I once had a Pyrex dish explode in the oven.  The roast was salvageable, but what a freaking mess that made. 

I only use the all metal probe thermometers with the temperature display that you put on the outside of the oven.  I didn't even know they made some with glass that can go in the oven.  Of course Pyrex is supposed to work out in the oven and it often doesn't.

I cooked a $90+ roast yesterday obsessively watching that thermometer. I would have been heart broken!

I actually found out yesterday my oven has a probe thermometer that came with it. That thing worked amazingly and I was will be much more confident next time I try to cook a big piece of meat or a turkey (I actually used a traditional meat thermometer and the probe because I was so nervous). It is metal and plugs into the side of the oven. Then you can set the desired oven and finishing probe temp on the oven. Highly recommend for those who regularly host big family meals. I had thrown that thing into a drawer and suddenly remembered it.