Menu

S/O - Math Intuition/Thinking about Math Tools...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I get the feeling I'll be placing an order before midnight?

I'm not even looking for a new math program... We are perfectly happy now...lalalala...I hear none of this nonsense talk of Gelfand...

wapiti,  :cheers2:   This just arrived today.  Wow.  That's just about all I can say. Wow.

If you like Gelfand's style,  you might want to order his trigonometry book too :)

http://www.amazon.com/Trigonometry-I-M-Gelfand/dp/0817639144

WMA, I don't think of it as a program, more of as a supplement, though I never quite figured out what would be the best way to use it.  It's usually more direct than AoPS, but big things happen in brief sections.  Hmm, thinking out loud, maybe it would best be used to introduce a concept?  Or deepen a concept taught more superficially someplace else?

I'm supposed to be making cookies or gingerbread or something, but I feel like I need to look up the evil math instructor...

Maybe Mike has comments and suggestions if he's used it?   :bigear:

WMA, I don't think of it as a program, more of as a supplement, though I never quite figured out what would be the best way to use it.  It's usually more direct than AoPS, but big things happen in brief sections.  Hmm, thinking out loud, maybe it would best be used to introduce a concept?  Or deepen a concept taught more superficially someplace else?

I'm supposed to be making cookies or gingerbread or something, but I feel like I need to look up the evil math instructor...

Maybe Mike has comments and suggestions if he's used it?   :bigear:

Making cookies or gingerbread? It's Christmas Eve, indulge yourself and look up the evil math instructor...there will be plenty of time for baking the rest of the year... :laugh:

Maybe you should make Christmas Pi.... :lol:

I opened the sample of Gelfand's Functions and Graphs and saw electrocardiograms...  :001_wub:

Have you seen this?

"Extended Gelfand Correspondence Program in Mathematics (E-GCPM) is modeled on GCPM (the Gelfand Correspondence Program in Mathematics).

E-GCPM is an enrichment program in mathematics for junior high and high school students. E-GCPM allows students to study at home and get personal attention from a qualified mentor.

Currently we offer a special enrollment fee of $400 for the Level I,  same as was in GCPM many years ago. The fee covers six Assignments of Level I and grading of the student's work. We will also send you the four books used in the program (see the description of E-GCPM) and the Answer Booklet (23 pages) for the Introductory Assignment written by Prof. Israel Gelfand and Prof. Larry Corwin. One level usually takes about a year to complete."

from http://www.israelmgelfand.com/egcpm.html

My kids are doing their Chinese handwriting practice so I get to slack :)

I'm thinking free reading! Seriously!

Have you seen this?

"Extended Gelfand Correspondence Program in Mathematics (E-GCPM) is modeled on GCPM (the Gelfand Correspondence Program in Mathematics).

E-GCPM is an enrichment program in mathematics for junior high and high school students. E-GCPM allows students to study at home and get personal attention from a qualified mentor.

Currently we offer a special enrollment fee of $400 for the Level I,  same as was in GCPM many years ago. The fee covers six Assignments of Level I and grading of the student's work. We will also send you the four books used in the program (see the description of E-GCPM) and the Answer Booklet (23 pages) for the Introductory Assignment written by Prof. Israel Gelfand and Prof. Larry Corwin. One level usually takes about a year to complete."

from http://www.israelmgelfand.com/egcpm.html

My kids are doing their Chinese handwriting practice so I get to slack :)

I haven't heard of this! I will check into it! Thank you!!

If you like Gelfand's style,  you might want to order his trigonometry book too :)

http://www.amazon.com/Trigonometry-I-M-Gelfand/dp/0817639144

I've got all the rest of his stuff on my wish list now!!!

I'm with wapiti, trying to figure out exactly where this fits and how to use it, and when, and where . . . but it has gotten me pulling out my pencil and math notebook again, the first time in months.  So that's a very good thing.  Nothing else I had was calling my name, but I'm really digging this.

I found this review really interesting and helpful, with ideas about how/when this and the other two books (before trig) might be used.

https://math.berkeley.edu/~wu/Gelfand.pdf

On a related topic, I especially appreciated this statement from the review article.  It sums up exactly where we are with algebra at the moment:

(2) The book needs more exercises. The problems (some of them with
solutions) scattered throughout all three volumes are educational, interesting,
at times amusing, and always stimulating.9 However, a textbook needs some
easy exercises for the weaker students, and it also needs a few more than
what are presently in Algebra to keep the stronger students busy. More
specifically, a textbook on algebra would need plenty of word problems to
force the students to learn to read and to translate the verbal information
into mathematics. Anyone who has ever taught at the elementary level would
understand at once that the latter Ă¢â‚¬Å“translationĂ¢â‚¬ process is the weak spot in
most studentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ mathematical armor, and that addressing this weakness must
be one of the main concerns of an algebra course

I'm thinking free reading! Seriously!

I don't disagree, except that I worry that left to herself dd will just read the answers, instead of working through them, and miss half the fun.  I am thinking we might start doing a problem or two every morning as a brain-wakeup?  Or something?  Not sure yet.  According to the review I posted, it covers Alg 1 & 2, so doing it a bit at a time spread out over the next couple of years seems reasonable.  Or maybe this is our 2nd pass through algebra after Jacobs?  Not sure yet, I just started it.   But I really like it.

Making cookies or gingerbread? It's Christmas Eve, indulge yourself and look up the evil math instructor...there will be plenty of time for baking the rest of the year... :laugh:

Maybe you should make Christmas Pi.... :lol:

See, dh is the baker in the family, and Shannon is sobbing through The Fault In Our Stars, so I have free rein to play math this afternoon!  I love it!

I don't disagree, except that I worry that left to herself dd will just read the answers, instead of working through them, and miss half the fun. I am thinking we might start doing a problem or two every morning as a brain-wakeup? Or something? Not sure yet. According to the review I posted, it covers Alg 1 & 2, so doing it a bit at a time spread out over the next couple of years seems reasonable. Or maybe this is our 2nd pass through algebra after Jacobs? Not sure yet, I just started it. But I really like it.

I obviously haven't seen it yet, but I can see Lily reading and rereading some of the sections, especially ones with science. I'm sure we'll need to make a plan to work the problems, but some of the written sections will most likely really grab her attention.

I like the one or two problems in the morning idea, but I should probably wait until I actually see the book before I start a spreadsheet... ;)

Or not...off to see if samples give enough info... ;)

Are all the solutions in the books? I might be overlooking that info, but I can't find them listed...

There are no solutions manuals.

archive copy of Charon's gelfand algebra answers. You might want to download while the link is still working http://web.archive.org/web/20080310175053/http://www.oplink.net/~adrian/gelf_alg.html

(ETA: Wapiti posted the pdf link in post #71)

Kathy in Richmond has the trigonometry book worked out so PM her if you want a copy

Post #3  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/529694-gelfands-algebra/

Arcadia,

Do you know anyone that has used the correspondence program? It looks tempting! I was planning to start outsourcing next fall. I may start Monday instead. ;)

I don't know anyone but at $400, I am tempted too.  The trouble with living in a high COLA, everything looks affordable by comparison.

Are all the solutions in the books? I might be overlooking that info, but I can't find them listed...

In the Algebra book, they are right after the problem - so hence it's hard not to look, KWIM?  You have to be disciplined!  I think I can pull that off, but not sure that Shannon will see the benefit . . . 

In the Algebra book, they are right after the problem - so hence it's hard not to look, KWIM?  You have to be disciplined!  I think I can pull that off, but not sure that Shannon will see the benefit . . . 

Oh! I thought the samples just happened to include ones with solutions.... I didn't realize the solution is after each problem...good to know!

Thanks!

Ok, right, I see now that I'm looking more closely - some of the problems in the book have solutions directly following.  Some have a hint.  Some have both, some have nothing.  So thanks for the links to *all* the solutions!  I guess for the first couple of lessons I've worked through, the easier ones didn't have solutions in the book but the one more challenging problem did, so I was leaping to a conclusion there about how it was set up.

Gelfand's books are great supplements to courses that lack theory.  I wouldn't use them as primary course material, because they are not exactly chock full of guided practice.  He did have an online course series for a while, but it never quite hit its stride.

The books are good as a straight read, even without doing the exercises.  I would treat it like AoPS challenge problems, though -- give them a shot, and if you get them, great.  It's the thought process that matters with his books, as he builds on the exercises as he goes along.

The other thing I would do is hold off on Gelfand until after completing a normal curriculum.  It's a perfect filler if you move slightly quickly, as it will let you go back and rethink things from a different light, in preparation for bigger and better things.

Algebra is my favorite, but all of his books are good.  We have Algebra, Trigonometry, Method of Coordinates, and Functions and Graphs.  Method of Coordinates is often overlooked, but goes well between Algebra 1 and 2, or just before Precalculus.

Thanks for the info, Mike. We'll keep using Foerster as her main program, so this will just be extra. It's good to know that just reading the books will be beneficial! I'm sure we'll try to do the problems, but I can see her reading the books even if we don't get to all the problems.

We worked a few of the problems as a family this evening. What fun!

Gelfand's books are great supplements to courses that lack theory.  I wouldn't use them as primary course material, because they are not exactly chock full of guided practice.  He did have an online course series for a while, but it never quite hit its stride.

The books are good as a straight read, even without doing the exercises.  I would treat it like AoPS challenge problems, though -- give them a shot, and if you get them, great.  It's the thought process that matters with his books, as he builds on the exercises as he goes along.

The other thing I would do is hold off on Gelfand until after completing a normal curriculum.  It's a perfect filler if you move slightly quickly, as it will let you go back and rethink things from a different light, in preparation for bigger and better things.

Algebra is my favorite, but all of his books are good.  We have Algebra, Trigonometry, Method of Coordinates, and Functions and Graphs.  Method of Coordinates is often overlooked, but goes well between Algebra 1 and 2, or just before Precalculus.

Perfect! This is just right for our situation - we'll finish Alg 1 in the beginning of 8th grade, so we have some time to do stuff like this next year.  Thanks for the suggestions about how to use it!

So, is there anything out there like Gelfand, but for Geometry??? Readable, interesting explanations, interesting problems . . . ?

I thought Jacobs Geometry 2nd editon fit the bill?

Forgot if you are also in California. If you are, Palo Alto has a nicer copy than the Mountain View one and they are on Link+.

Oh good! Given that we like Jacobs for Algebra, I assume we will like him for Geometry too, but I don't have a copy yet.  That's my plan so far.  I just wondered if there was something slim like Gelfand that might supplement Jacobs as a main text.  Maybe that's not necessary, though.

I don't know of anything, but I'd just use Alcumus as a supplement if you want those types of problems.  I have Jacobs 2nd ed. but I haven't looked at how the topics line up (maybe later!), so maybe it's best saved for a review at the end.

I just wondered if there was something slim like Gelfand that might supplement Jacobs as a main text. Maybe that's not necessary, though.

If you do all the questions in Jacobs that would take up quite a decent amount of time per day. I think you can just add questions from Alcumus on a needs basis. Jurgensen Geometry is another tried and tested one but it's as thick as Jacobs.

An old thread on Kiselev Geometry

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472800-xpost-kiselevs-geometry/

If you do all the questions in Jacobs that would take up quite a decent amount of time per day. I think you can just add questions from Alcumus on a needs basis. Jurgensen Geometry is another tried and tested one but it's as thick as Jacobs.

An old thread on Kiselev Geometry

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472800-xpost-kiselevs-geometry/

We have Kiselev's books, as well (DW used them in grade school).  I wouldn't liken them to AoPS or Gelfand, as others have.  The styles are distinctly different.  Kiselev reads like a typical Russian textbook, which is to say, it isn't all that easy to read -- it requires serious effort.  But, it is a very good set of books, and delves deeply into the subject in a short period of time.  Where most geometry texts barely touch on stereometry (multi-dimensional geometry), Kiselev devotes a book.  If you enjoy geometry, and get a little bit ahead, then Kiselev is well worth the effort due to the purity of his approach and the depth achieved as a result.

If you are just looking for a little filler and enrichment, then you might be as well off with a Schaum's outline, which is, surprisingly, more thorough than Jacobs or Jurgensen.  FWIW, we used Jurgensen and Schaum's as our primary texts, though DS8 will probably go through Kiselev's books in their entirety at some point.

If you like the Russians you might look at Kiselev. 

I have no idea if I like the Russains!!  I thought Gelfand was Israeli?

We have Kiselev's books, as well (DW used them in grade school).  I wouldn't liken them to AoPS or Gelfand, as others have.  The styles are distinctly different.  Kiselev reads like a typical Russian textbook, which is to say, it isn't all that easy to read -- it requires serious effort.  But, it is a very good set of books, and delves deeply into the subject in a short period of time.  Where most geometry texts barely touch on stereometry (multi-dimensional geometry), Kiselev devotes a book.  If you enjoy geometry, and get a little bit ahead, then Kiselev is well worth the effort due to the purity of his approach and the depth achieved as a result.

If you are just looking for a little filler and enrichment, then you might be as well off with a Schaum's outline, which is, surprisingly, more thorough than Jacobs or Jurgensen.  FWIW, we used Jurgensen and Schaum's as our primary texts, though DS8 will probably go through Kiselev's books in their entirety at some point.

Sadly, I don't love geometry, although I'm really working on that!   I'm fairly intimidated by it, actually.  I'm not a good visual thinker and I apparently have absolutely terrible spatial intuition.  And Shannon seems to have inheirited my brain.  So I guess I'm looking for two things - a straightforward, easy to understand yet thorough text, and then supplements to try and help me (first) understand the big picture, conceptually, so that I can do a better job of teaching it.  My memory of 9th grade Geometry was a teacher writing geometric proofs on the board, and me copying them in my notes, without any of the concepts actually touching my brain.  I'm trying to fix that this time around.

He did have lovely handwriting.  That's about all I remember.  :lol:

I have no idea if I like the Russains!!  I thought Gelfand was Israeli?

Sadly, I don't love geometry, although I'm really working on that!   I'm fairly intimidated by it, actually.  I'm not a good visual thinker and I apparently have absolutely terrible spatial intuition.  And Shannon seems to have inheirited my brain.  So I guess I'm looking for two things - a straightforward, easy to understand yet thorough text, and then supplements to try and help me (first) understand the big picture, conceptually, so that I can do a better job of teaching it.  My memory of 9th grade Geometry was a teacher writing geometric proofs on the board, and me copying them in my notes, without any of the concepts actually touching my brain.  I'm trying to fix that this time around.

He did have lovely handwriting.  That's about all I remember.  :lol:

Schaum's, then.  :)  It has lots of worked examples and good coverage...

Schaum's, then. :) It has lots of worked examples and good coverage...

:iagree:

The Schaum's outline for Geometry is on Link+/ILL. My library has a nice copy.

This book

http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Geometry-5th-Edition/dp/0071795405

ETA:

The book is useful for seeing how Americans write the two column proofs since I am used to the paragraph style.

Rose, your review of Crossing the Bridge with Dogs?

Do you mean Crossing the river with dogs? That book is a nice enrichment book on problem solving

Below link is the copy my local library have

http://www.amazon.com/Crossing-River-Dogs-Problem-Students/dp/0470464739

Below link is a sample of the teacher's guide

http://gahs-math.wikispaces.com/file/view/TE-CrossingTheRiverWithDogs.pdf

:iagree:

The Schaum's outline for Geometry is on Link+/ILL. My library has a nice copy.

This book

http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Geometry-5th-Edition/dp/0071795405

ETA:

The book is useful for seeing how Americans write the two column proofs since I am used to the paragraph style.

Fwiw, that 2-column form is typically only used in geometry as a simple transitional step to formal proof writing.  That "detail" tends to be forgotten by overzealous parents and teachers.  I'd just as soon stick to the paragraph form, myself...

WMA, how do you like Foerster?

Rose, your review of Crossing the Bridge with Dogs?

And have you placed an order on Foerster?

I have Foerster to use for a semester after Jacob's. I am now tempted by Crossing the Bridge and Gelfand. What's the difference btw the two?

Crossing the River with Dogs hasn't arrived yet, so I will have to let you know what I think when it does.  No, I haven't ordered Foerster yet, I'm still trying to get on top of the shambles of christmas spending!  But your plan seems like a solid one.  If I were to never buy another Algebra book (hah!) I think I'd work through Gelfand and parts of AoPS Alg 1 after Jacobs before officially moving on, but I suspect that Foerster's will also make its way to my house at some point in the future!

WMA, how do you like Foerster?

We've only used it for two weeks, so keep that in mind...

I thought since we used AoPS first, we wouldn't really learn anything new during the first chapters. (We are just skimming them and then she takes the test.)  There has actually been information that we either hadn't been given before or it was explained in a way that didn't sink in. It was nothing that kept her from doing the math, but I feel she might have a better understanding now, as well as more mathematical vocabulary to express what she is doing. (AoPS doesn't use as much vocabulary. Or at least doesn't stress it.)

I like that Foerster includes oral work, mixed review, and solid word problems (with names! ;) ). We also bought the calculator lab manual. It coordinates with the chapters in the book, so she learns to do the math by hand and then with the calculator. I think it's important to know both ways.

My daughter likes the style of writing. She misses AoPS, and we may end up back there at some point, but we both agree that for right now the structure of this program is what she needs.

That's all so far. Sorry it's not much!

WMA, How old is dd? How far is she in AOPS? Ds did two chapters of AOPS PreA. Then we went with 3/4 of Dolciani PreA and first book of LOF PreA. We did a couples of Singapore DM 1A and then settled for Jacob's. We are half way through. For word problems, setting up the x and y is done with the instructions. I am not used to this. I never learned this way. I hope ds will learn to set up the x, y, and equations on his own. He just turned 12.

My daughter is 13. She went through chapter 7 of AoPS Intro to Algebra.

I agree with you about setting up the x, y, and equations on his own. Does it do that for him through the entire book? That's a bit surprising... I'm pretty sure that's not the case all the way through Foerster.

In the foreword to the Teacher's Edition of Foerster's Algebra I, there is a bit of info about the word problems in the book. It talks about the first part being the "hand-holding" phase, which sounds like what you are describing. Toward the middle of the book, the students are expected to know how to define a variable and write an equation. About the final part of the book, he says:

By Chapter 10 students enter the "no-holds-barred" phase. Here, clever short-cuts and trial-and-error techniques are

encouraged, as well as the traditional algebraic techniques. Students thus practice problem solving as advocated by

the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. The experience helps prepare them for contests and standardized

tests, where the emphasis is on getting the right answer quickly.

Flipping through to the end of the book, the problems remind me of ones from AoPS.

I hope that helps a bit.

I also saw too much goodness in this thread to multi-quote but I'd like to say I've got another DD like you guys have described!!!! I was wanting to do AoPS but she was reluctant (she thought the first discovery problems in Pre-A were confusing - like when you can't figure out what the instructor is asking for...) and I was having doubts, particularly given her hesitation.

I have Jacobs and Dolciani and I kept saying I was not going to buy Foerster but I'm now leaning heavily toward it! 

DD is 11 and partway through Tabletclass Pre-Algebra, and currently her vote is to continue with that for Algebra. If anyone has an opinion here on pros/cons for kids like this, please LMK!

We have had so many fits and starts with math and I probably should start another thread....but I'd say that DD's greatest need is....novelty. Sigh.

I went ahead and wrote the "HELP!" post with the full history. If any of you would check it out, I'd be greatly obliged!!!!  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/537559-algebra-math-tools-help-tc-vs-foersterchalkdust/

I also saw too much goodness in this thread to multi-quote but I'd like to say I've got another DD like you guys have described!!!! I was wanting to do AoPS but she was reluctant (she thought the first discovery problems in Pre-A were confusing - like when you can't figure out what the instructor is asking for...) and I was having doubts, particularly given her hesitation.

I have Jacobs and Dolciani and I kept saying I was not going to buy Foerster but I'm now leaning heavily toward it! 

DD is 11 and partway through Tabletclass Pre-Algebra, and currently her vote is to continue with that for Algebra. If anyone has an opinion here on pros/cons for kids like this, please LMK!

We have had so many fits and starts with math and I probably should start another thread....but I'd say that DD's greatest need is....novelty. Sigh.

I went ahead and wrote the "HELP!" post with the full history. If any of you would check it out, I'd be greatly obliged!!!!  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/537559-algebra-math-tools-help-tc-vs-foersterchalkdust/

I'll go read the other one, too, but I wanted to say that if I'm understanding what you mean correctly, novelty is an absolutely driving force for my 2nd dd.  Novelty, and choice.  Hence her path may be extremely rambling, although I am at this point trying to hold onto the idea of a single spine with lots of supplements to provide what she needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness. I had banished myself from the Accelerated Forum (because DS is bright-but-not-so-accelerated) and look what I missed!!!

Woodland Mist, can you tell me anything about the Calculator Manual for Foerster? I don't have that. I kinda sorta remember seeing it for sale somewhere but can't recall where.

We just finished Chapter 5 of Foerster's Algebra, and I am still really happy with it as a spine.

Goodness. I had banished myself from the Accelerated Forum (because DS is bright-but-not-so-accelerated) and look what I missed!!!

I probably have no business being here either, but party crashing has never been so much fun... ;)

Woodland Mist, can you tell me anything about the Calculator Manual for Foerster? I don't have that. I kinda sorta remember seeing it for sale somewhere but can't recall where.

We just finished Chapter 5 of Foerster's Algebra, and I am still really happy with it as a spine.

The lessons in the Calculator Lab Manual are aligned with the book. For example, the first chapter has labs that align with sections 1.4 and 1.7.  The second chapter has a lab for 2.7.  The students are expected to know how to do the work by hand before using the calculator. 

It's much more than plug and chug - word problems are a good portion of the book. There is also some guided experimentation: If you do X, what do you think will happen? Try it and explain your results. Programming makes an appearance well: Write a program to solve quadratic equations on the graphing calculator. Modify a program you've written to tell the user when an equation has no solutions. Those are just a few quick examples.

The calculator is presented as a tool and a method to double check yourself. It is in no way presented as a replacement for thinking. 

I've been pleasantly surprised by Foerster time and time again.