Menu

Calling All Pyramid Builders! (SOTW)

1MoreThought

I recently started working through SOTW-1 with my daughters and we're loving it. But the blocks we're making to build our sand-glue pyramid are not getting dry enough to use. I guess we'll switch to the sugar cube model unless I can get some advice from more successful pyramid builders. What worked for you? How did you keep your blocks from crumbling? (We have had success with our other SOTW projects, which I wrote about a couple of weeks ago in a blog entry titled The River on the Porch!)

Thanks so much!

Jeanette

Thank you! It just seems like the sand one would be around a little longer to remind the kids of what they've learned. Anyone had luck with the sand and glue pyramid? (I've moved our damp blocks to the basement just in case it dries someday, so it may be around indefinitely!)

Jeanette

Join our homeschool adventure at: 1MoreThought

Thank you! It just seems like the sand one would be around a little longer to remind the kids of what they've learned. Anyone had luck with the sand and glue pyramid? (I've moved our damp blocks to the basement just in case it dries someday, so it may be around indefinitely!)

Jeanette

Join our homeschool adventure at: 1MoreThought

I checked this book out from the library

http://www.amazon.com/Crafts-Culture-Ancient-Egyptians-World/dp/0823935094/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220060551&sr=8-6

In it, there are instructions for making sand clay pyramids. The sand clay is very simple (once you find the alum), and you just shape the pyramids out of clay blobs, using pieces of cardboard to flatten the sides. They dry quickly. We have three of them in varying sizes around the living room. The book also has a neat scarab project that we did.

I still plan to do the step pyramid with sugar cubes with the girls. The sand clay was kind of for my fun. :001_huh: I can take pics of the pyramids and scarabs if you like.

Amber, I would like to see the scarab project and pyramid photos if you want to post them. I may check my library for that book, too. I really appreciate everyone's ideas. We moved on to making clay cartouches for now, and I'm happy to say so far, so good!

Jeanette

I just posted them in my blog, along with our sugar cube step pyramids from today!

http://2alyn.blogspot.com/2008/09/more-projects.html

Whoops! I got here too late to post about this I guess. I just wanted to add that we spent a bit more and bought brown sugar cubes. The pyramid turned out more realistic looking and we also made it bigger than recommended in the activity guide. The dc's and I had a blast making it and we kept the pyramid around on display until last month when we moved. We glued the pyramid on cardboard and then painted the bottom of the cardboard with brown paint with sand mixed in for a more authentic look. Turned out great!

I recently started working through SOTW-1 with my daughters and we're loving it. But the blocks we're making to build our sand-glue pyramid are not getting dry enough to use. I guess we'll switch to the sugar cube model unless I can get some advice from more successful pyramid builders. What worked for you? How did you keep your blocks from crumbling? (We have had success with our other SOTW projects, which I wrote about a couple of weeks ago in a blog entry titled The River on the Porch!)

Thanks so much!

Jeanette

I just posted them in my blog, along with our sugar cube step pyramids from today!

http://2alyn.blogspot.com/2008/09/more-projects.html