Menu

Help me come up with a wish list

Ewe Mama

I need some help thinking of gift ideas for Ram Man and the kiddos to give me for my birthday and Christmas.

I don't need/want anything that they can easily give me. The one thing I really want is another baby and that will be impossible unless God showers some major miracles our way. :)

I can't think of a single article of clothing/jewelry/books/craft stuff/music/health & beauty item/kitchen gadget/DVD/CD/anything else I would even remotely need right now. I'm pretty happy.

Ram Man is being particularly ornery about this because he thinks it ruins my birthday (in the kiddos' eyes) if I don't have a pile of gifts to open because I always make sure they have nice gifts. They want to return the happiness, I suppose. I appreciate them so much, but I am drawing a blank when it comes to tangible items I can use.

I tried to suggest some "experience" gifts like tickets to the theatre or ballet, but that got shot down (by the kids) because that is something that gets used up and I won't have it anymore (in their way of thinking.). They are becoming much more aware and feel that I get "short-changed" when it comes to gifts because Joy, Theodore, Alvin and I all have birthdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so all of my energy and planning go into making the kiddos' birthdays and Christmas special.

I am a giver and receive so much happiness from giving, that I never feel cheated. I am just stumped.

What would you like to receive for Christmas or your birthday?

You don't have 4000 Books on an amazon wishlist already?!

How about a gift certificate for getting your hair done and a massage?

I'm not allowing myself any more books until I clear about 2000 of them out of the house. :D

The gift certificate idea has already been nixed by the kiddos. Sigh. This is wayyyy too stressful.

I always ask one of my kids for a new wall calendar for Christmas.  They seem to enjoy looking through all the options to find one I'd like.

What about a DVD and basket of snacks for a family movie night?  I think How to Train Your Dragon 2 just came out.

I like to get fun office supplies.... bright post-it notes, new highlighters, decorative file folders.... that I can use for our school stuff.

Oh, and socks!  I love to get new socks, and it's fun for kids to pick crazy ones.  :-)

(The theme seems to be I ask for things that I know they'll enjoy choosing. Kind of like I'm giving them the gift of learning how to give. Or something like that.  Lol.   :))

Is there a tv show that you've loved and would like the box set, to be able to watch it again? Or, movies from when you were younger?

An instrument you might like to play? I recently got a ukulele and its so much fun!

Shoot, man, have them get you a new computer or tablet :)

New bedding? Something from ikea if you have one nearby?

Do you have a garden? How about some neat seeds? Like for a strange melon or bean you've never had before?

Regarding the tv show DVD's, let's just say that we've tried that idea and I still have the last two seasons of NCIS still shrink wrapped on my shelf. I'm not a big DVD person.

Not musically inclined. I would actually love to have a piano, but I would also want a professional to play it for me. :D

I may throw out the idea of a new desktop computer tower, although that's a bit bigger ticket than I wanted to go. It would definitely be more for the kids than for me, though. :D

We have relatively new bedding.

I enjoy making my own furniture more than driving to IKEA (too far away.)

Already have an outrageous number of seed packets for the upcoming season on order.

You came up with some fabulous ideas. I have a feeling we would get along well IRL. :D

Normally, I'm not big on appliance/chore type recommendations for birthday or Christmas, however this one is awesome!  I love mine.  It's a Ninja 4-in-1.  I got mine in October and use it about every day.  It has four different functions - crock pot, cook top, oven, and steam.  I love throwing something in on the crock pot setting for a few hours and then turning it to oven to brown it some.  It's made cooking rice easy.  It's the best kitchen gadget I've purchased in years.  Highly recommend it!  There is a facebook group for it too, where everyone shares recipes.  I bought mine on QVC, but it sold other places too. Here's the link to the one on QVC.  http://www.qvc.com/Ninja-4-in-1-6-qt.-Multi-cooker-wRecipe-Book-&-Travel-Bag.product.K41333.html?sc=K41333-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-K41333&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/k/33/k41333.001?$uslarge$

The other thing I'd recommend would be a pandora bracelet.  That would be something they could add to down the road.  

Normally, I'm not big on appliance/chore type recommendations for birthday or Christmas, however this one is awesome!  I love mine.  It's a Ninja 4-in-1.  I got mine in October and use it about every day.  It has four different functions - crock pot, cook top, oven, and steam.  I love throwing something in on the crock pot setting for a few hours and then turning it to oven to brown it some.  It's made cooking rice easy.  It's the best kitchen gadget I've purchased in years.  Highly recommend it!  There is a facebook group for it too, where everyone shares recipes.  I bought mine on QVC, but it sold other places too. Here's the link to the one on QVC.  http://www.qvc.com/Ninja-4-in-1-6-qt.-Multi-cooker-wRecipe-Book-&-Travel-Bag.product.K41333.html?sc=K41333-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-K41333&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/k/33/k41333.001?$uslarge$

(The theme seems to be I ask for things that I know they'll enjoy choosing. Kind of like I'm giving the gift of learning how to give. Or something like that. Lol. :))

This is definitely what it comes down to. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, too. I am contemplating colorful socks.

Regarding the tv show DVD's, let's just say that we've tried that idea and I still have the last two seasons of NCIS still shrink wrapped on my shelf. I'm not a big DVD person.

Not musically inclined. I would actually love to have a piano, but I would also want a professional to play it for me. :D

I may throw out the idea of a new desktop computer tower, although that's a bit bigger ticket than I wanted to go. It would definitely be more for the kids than for me, though. :D

We have relatively new bedding.

I enjoy making my own furniture more than driving to IKEA (too far away.)

Already have an outrageous number of seed packets for the upcoming season on order.

You came up with some fabulous ideas. I have a feeling we would get along well IRL. :D

Just noticed this on your list.

Do you have a kreg jig?

This one is awesome (not sure of your budget).  http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-DB210-Foreman-Pocket-Hole-Machine/dp/B00KXVBOQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418705065&sr=8-1&keywords=kreg+jig+foreman

This one is really nice too.  http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K4MS-Jig-Master-System/dp/B0044BBOQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418705172&sr=8-2&keywords=kreg+jig

I am like you and really don't care much about getting things.  If I don't give DH suggestions he comes up with weird and expensive things that I just do not want, so now I try to have somethings on my wish list.

Some kind of tools for building furniture (since you said you enjoy making it)

Felco pruners for the garden

A garden tool tote for a 5 gallon bucket

A nice framed poster ( I asked for this one year and DH picked out something very nice, to my surprise.  I gave him general color guidelines and told him where I'd like it to go.)

A new mouse/earbuds/mousepad

Car charger for a phone if applicable

An ice cream maker

Fancy waffle maker

I have considered asking for a kitchemaid mixer.  Costco has them all the time.  But,  I don't really want something taking up more counter space and we don't have a good place to store it.  But if you like to bake and don't already have one.

Roomba (this is another thing I asked for in the past and I love it.)

Hope you all have great birthdays!  That has got to be intense.  :)

Bird feeders/birdhouses/bags of seed & suet packs?

Magazine subscription?

Your name on something that's being done as a fundraiser? I've seen places where people made donations of benches/fence posts/trees for new parks, bricks for a building or sidewalk, etc..., which are paid for by making a donation & you can put your name &/or a little inscription on the item. Maybe they could find something like that, make the donation, & then take you for an outing there. Think they'd go for that?

Replace any plasticware in your kitchen with glassware?

Something like a membership to a bread-of-the-month club, cookie-of-the-month club, wine-of-the-month club, etc...?

I would ask them each to pick out a special Christmas tree ornament for you, or maybe have one made that represents your whole family.

A bag of you favorite chips/candy that you don't have to share.

A big mug. Tea or coffee.

An origami book/kit.

A first edition, signed copy of your favorite book from abebooks.com

A zoo or museum membership.

A magazine subscription (perhaps something that pertains to making furniture).

A game that you all can play!

Or a jigsaw puzzle you can all work on together.

A set of handkerchiefs.

Perfume.

A Rubiks cube.

Regards,

Kareni

A framed photo of all the kids (a photo for which you do not have to organize, cajole, or drive anyone anywhere)?

A second set of measuring cups or spoons? (I got a second set of each one year, thought it was useless and now use both sets all the time and am really glad I have both. It saves me a lot of washing when I'm baking.)

Gardening items like new gloves, a new kneeler, etc.? A lot of those things wear out or get lost as kids walk off with them.

A pretty serving spoon?

A new water bottle? Or a new insulated coffee mug?

A new family game?

A welcome mat for the front door?

Thanks for all the lovely ideas!

Most of them were things we already planned for Christmas or things we have, but it was fun to hear what each of you would put on your lists.

I opted for a new computer tower and a couple of cute aprons. One has cupcakes on it! :D

We will see if there are any fun surprises, as well. Sheep Daddy has strictly forbidden me from looking at Amazon and opening any boxes that arrive. The temptation is very strong though. :D

Yay new computer!

Somewhere, possibly at WTM, someone suggested the kids do their best copywork of a poem for a birthday gift. Over the years you end up with a book of poetry in your children's printing/writing. That's what I'm asking for this year for my birthday. That, and a Le Creuset fondue pot, because I sometimes need to be less practical. lol