Menu

Physics Recommendations

Can anyone recommend Physics texts for someone who plans to go into a STEM field?  My son is mostly interested in computer coding, but he also likes electronics (building circuits, making computers) and I want to prepare him well for either option.  What do you recommend?

He is doing well with Conceptual Physics this year (7th grade) and I had planned to use Halliday, Resnick, and Krane Physics Vol 1 and 2 at the end of high school.  I'm thinking an algebra-based physics (currently finishing AOPS Pre-Algebra) in a few years would be good, but I'm looking for your wisdom here.   I had no physics at all in school and went into a soft science field that was more related to biology.  Would an online course be preferable?  He is very much self-taught in that he learns well by reading the textbook.  

My son preferred to study on his own from a good textbook, and he liked Giancoli's algebra based physics text. I used Delores Gendes's physics website extensively for pacing and assignments. Go to the Teaching Planning guide, and click on any topic listed. You'll find problem assignments & extra resources for Giancoli's 5th and 6th editions, aimed at kids in the old AP physics B courses. This course more than prepared my son for the Resnick AP C text in a later year.

A bit late to post, but Halliday/Resnick, and Sears/Zemansky are the classic standards, with Giancoli a good starter text...  With any of them, you should find plenty of study guides, etc.  Don't worry about getting very current editions -- introductory physics hasn't changed all that much over the last couple of decades.

We use Knight's College Physics with Regentrude's study guide and tests. I contacted the publisher, gave them our homeschool number, and they were willing to send us the Teacher's CD so we have the solutions guide. We could NOT use this text without the solutions.

Ruth in NZ