Menu

Women's coats? Recommendations for brands and stores?

ILiveInFlipFlops

It has been over 10 years since I shopped for a coat for myself (I have black wool peacoat-style coat that still looks fantastic and still fits me, so no need for a new one). Both my girls have worn Lands End squall coats, either hand-me-downs or bought on clearance, since they were little. However, now that DD12 is 5' 5" and built like an adult, she needs a new coat in a women's size. I just did a little shopping around, and holy cow! Good coats are expensive! Thankfully, she's not brand-oriented at all, and we're in a fairly moderate climate (daytime temps average in the 30s-low 40s through the winter, a few snow days per year), so I don't need a parka or anything, but I do want something that's good quality, that's insulated and warm for when she's hanging out outside, etc. She has a nice long black wool coat that used to be mine (from when I could wear a J Crew size 10 *sigh*), but that's not great for your average 12-year-old activities. 

Does anyone have some affordable recommendations for me? Outside of North Face, which seems to be out of my price range, I don't know anything about reliable brands anymore. 

Thanks!

I LOVE my Columbia coat. It's one of those 3-in-one deals and I got I at a deep discount online from Cabella's. My coat is similar to this, but I think they change the colors regularly:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Womens-Clothing/Womens-Outerwear/Womens-Heavyweight-Outerwear|/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104480280/i/104155380/Cabelas-Womens-Highline-3-in-1-Parka/1833960.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fwomens-heavyweight-outerwear%2F_%2FN-1102477%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104155380%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104480280&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104480280%3Bcat104155380

It's about 6 years old now and looks brand new. I wear it so much it doesn't get put away with the Winter stuff. I wear the shell alone as a rain coat or windbreaker. I wear the fleece liner alone for extra warmth. Once it gets below 40, I zip them together and wear it like a parka. It's really too warm to wear together sooner than that.

If I were outfitting a growing kid I'd probably get the next size or two up since it fits close to the body and isn't really puffy.

I bought my DD12 who is also 5'5" an XL Squall Jacket from Land's End for this year.  I was worried about it being too short in the sleeves but they're just fine and it still has the wrist guards so she won't get snow in her mittens.  Ladies' coats don't have that, and I'm sure if I had bought her a ladies' coat, there would have been griping about the wrist guards.  Sigh.  Anyway, DD is pretty average build, broad shoulders and long legs.  She could layer with a sweatshirt if she needed too, plenty of room in the tummy/hips.

Thanks everyone. I think we actually have a squall coat in XL and it doesn't fit oldest DD anymore, but I'll have to track it down to double check--younger DD has been wearing it. 

I would definitely consider buying used, but not if I don't know the brand or how it fits generally, etc. I guess I could see if I could find NF coats locally to have her try some on, hmm...

Thanks!