Menu

Landry Academy's Thanksgiving Specials

Here's a link to the specials page. The special will change every 4 hours or so.

http://landryacademy.com/specials

There are excellent deals to be had. Currently you can get 3 semester classes for $404 usable starting with the 2015 summer sessions. The caveats are that you are buying at least 6 months in advance and you must buy at least three classes. If your plans might change or you can't use 3 classes, then this is not a bargain.

We've found the 4 classes and lab intensive that T's taken to be of high quality. They stick to the posted syllabus, the teachers are enthusiastic about their subjects and working with teenagers and some of the classes use excellent textbooks that would be hard to do on your own. They also provide lab supplies for their science classes. The course materials are always listed so you can judge how appropriate a class will be for your child before you sign up. If your budget is tight, Landry is probably the least expensive option for a live class (other than Harari which has limited offerings).

FWIW, for anyone seeing this post and considering the specials that is not very familiar with Landry, what I find to be incredibly nice about the generics is that they can be used any time.  And you don't have to commit to a specific class right away.  You keep the generic credits as generics until you are ready to register.  Just make sure that you keep an eye on the registration.  If a class is popular it may fill up fairly quickly.  Once a class is full you cannot register for it.  

But the generics are really flexible.  Let's say you register for the special mentioned above by chiguirre (they will be changing all day, so keep checking the website).  if you find things change and you can only use one or two or even none of those generic credits for the summer and next year, you can still hold them in reserve for later.  They do not expire.  

Or maybe you can only use one.  That's fine.  Hold the others for the following year or following semester.  And be aware that a lot of classes are covered in one semester.  That would be one credit.  So if you have 4 credits, you could use two credits for two fall classes and two credits for two spring classes.  Or if your child needs one of the core classes that lasts all year (like High School level English I) that would be one credit.  The second credit could be used for a one semester class, such as Intermediate Composition or a one semester Science class or art, etc.  Then the next two credits could be used the following semester or the next summer or the year after or whenever you needed them.  Really flexible.

Also, even if plans change like the day before, after you have already converted the generic credit to a class you have registered for, but find your child cannot attend for that semester after all, they are normally very understanding and will let you convert the class back to a generic credit that can be used whenever you are able.

OneStepAtATime,

Are you saying that even if I'm buy this morning's special, that I've pasted below, I don't really have to use them in the spring? Really nervous about this as we have never used Landry, but that's because it's too expensive when you wait until the last minute to register.  

"Register for 1 of our spring 2015 one semester online classes ($360) and receive another spring 2015one semester online class FREE (for yourself or a friend)... or, register for 2 classes and get 2 FREE." 

OneStepAtATime,

Are you saying that even if I'm buy this morning's special, that I've pasted below, I don't really have to use them in the spring? Really nervous about this as we have never used Landry, but that's because it's too expensive when you wait until the last minute to register.  

"Register for 1 of our spring 2015 one semester online classes ($360) and receive another spring 2015one semester online class FREE (for yourself or a friend)... or, register for 2 classes and get 2 FREE." 

No these would have to be used in the spring since that is what is specified in the offer.  Many of their deals will include GENERIC semesters and those are the ones that don't expire.  You can also use them for multiple kids.  I bought the 35 bundle back last summer.  With 6 kids I know I will eventually use them all.

OneStepAtATime,

No these would have to be used in the spring since that is what is specified in the offer.  Many of their deals will include GENERIC semesters and those are the ones that don't expire.  You can also use them for multiple kids.  I bought the 35 bundle back last summer.  With 6 kids I know I will eventually use them all.

What cjzimmer1 said.  Sometimes they offer generics that are unlimited.  Sometimes they offer course credits for a specific time frame.  For the original offer they had yesterday it was only for this coming Spring.  But the generics in general can usually be used any time.  I am sorry I was not more clear.  

And yes, cost is high if you wait until the last minute.  Honestly, the very best time is during their huge discount sales in early fall.  You can get massive discounts on generic course credits, hold them in reserve until you are ready then just convert them to real courses at the last minute.  

How would these classes work for a family that uses secular material?  

It depends on the class, you kind of have to decide how much you can stomach. In my DS's Python class, they start with a prayer, but that's the extent of it.

Agree with madteaparty.  Some classes just have prayer at the beginning but the material is all secular.  With other classes the material is not secular at all.  Really, really depends on the class and the teacher.

Agree with madteaparty.  Some classes just have prayer at the beginning but the material is all secular.  With other classes the material is not secular at all.  Really, really depends on the class and the teacher.

Agree too. You will be able to see what materials the class uses before you sign up. So, for example, I know that I don't want to sign Trinqueta up for their biology class that uses Science Shepherd, but I am willing to sign her up for the physics class that uses Conceptual Physics. Where you draw the line will vary with your preferences, but you'll have the information you need up front.

Agree too. You will be able to see what materials the class uses before you sign up. So, for example, I know that I don't want to sign Trinqueta up for their biology class that uses Science Shepherd, but I am willing to sign her up for the physics class that uses Conceptual Physics. Where you draw the line will vary with your preferences, but you'll have the information you need up front.

:iagree:   chiguirre has a good point.  

Read the syllabus and the materials requirements.  They post them on-line.  Very helpful for determining what is in each class.