Menu

math manipulatives-- what and where to buy for 6yo

Princess5

my dd is 6yo and in K.  For christmas i am thinking of math manipulatives.  so far i gathered from the boards and have these in my list

sum swamp game

set game

cuisennaire rods

geoboards

anything else i can add on?

the games of sum swamp and set will have their own instructions.  but how about the cuisennaire rods and geoboards?  how to use them?

also what are good quality cuisennaire rods?  lots of peoples reviews tell that plastic ones warp and not equal when counted, not good quality etc...

also where to get them?  rainbow resources looks like a place with good prices but no free shipping.  i dont think i will be ordering 50$ stuff to get free shipping.  ty

tanagrams

base 10 blocks

lots of different shapes, sizes and colors of dice (from large foam standard shaped ones to smaller different shaped ones, like 8 sidedl die and 20 sided die and die inside another die, etc.)

DD loves wooden cuisennaire rods (she hates the feel of the plastic ones)

Unifix cubes

fraction circles (great if they are magnetic and you have a magnetic dry erase board)

geometric solids

magna tiles

Yes you can use real money.  As long as there isn't some sort of choking hazard.  A cash register helps with keeping things sorted and in place.  FWIW, my kids always preferred real money.  I kept a designated amount of real money to use and kept it in a specific location.  I made sure that when we were done playing with the money that the money was counted and went back into that specific location so we always had it on hand.  Once they got older we started having them each keep their allowance in special bags with their names and when reviewing money they used what was in the bags as well.

I used real money, a geared mini-clock face, an abacus (rather than something like counting bears---they all stayed together and didn't get lost in the couch!) like the one from RightStart http://www.rightstartmath.com/resources/, bundles of straws and rubber bands to show grouping and borrowing, a set of measuring cups and spoons, base 10 blocks, dice, a pack of playing cards.

A nice extra is a set of wooden geometric shapes

Items that are easy to print or draw and cut out on your own from construction paper or cardstock and laminate with contact paper or a laminator:

hundreds chart

fraction circles (making it look like pie or pizza helps a lot :) )

tangrams

You can easily get $50 worth of stuff from RR. ;) Or maybe that's just me. You can find most of this stuff on Amazon too.

Get the larger set of wooden C-rods. This one:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/008265/ac61a9b1f3883a6ec11cb560

I would also go ahead and get some base 10 hundred flats and a base 10 thousand cube:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/015319/ac61a9b1f3883a6ec11cb560

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/015318/ac61a9b1f3883a6ec11cb560

Play money bills are really cheap. We just used real coins.

Set is great. We didn't love Sum Swamp. The math games that got the most use for us in the K-3rd era were:

Corners

Zeus on the Loose

Rat-a-Tat-Cat

Knock-Out

Also, Going to the Dump, but you can play that with regular cards.

My kids also really enjoyed their abacuses when they were K-1st. We had a big wooden one. If you get one, the ones with the beads two colors on one line (like the Right Start one) are better. Rainbow Resource has a bunch like that.

Geoboards did not get a ton of use here. We did really end up using Pattern Tiles a lot for various things, especially in Pre-K-1st, but they even now in 5th grade occasionally come out.

My son is 6 1/2 yo and doing 1st right now but is still working out addition and subtraction within 1-10 and the things we find most helpful are-

these c-rods http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F8R5N2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-some 1 and 10 blocks that click together

-a basic abacus from Melissa and Doug

-playing cards

-dominoes, you can play a game where you match up addition sentences printed on paper to the domino with the same number groups on them (2+3=5 would match with the domino that has 2 dots on one side and 3 on the other)

We just used Legos. For individual counters cars worked well. Like the metal hot wheels. He drove them away to subtract, drove them over to add, natural disasters to show multiplying by zero. They were a lot more fun because he could really play with them. Cheerios work wonders as well. The "Cheerio Monster" really liked adding negative numbers.