Menu

Need gift ideas for 11 yo girl

skimomma

My dh and I are at a complete loss as to what to get 11 yo dd for Christmas.  Nor do we know what to suggest to relatives.

We have asked dd to make a list.  She came up with a single item.  "Science kits."  After some prodding, she also asked me to knit her a hat.  Um....OK.  Done.  A hat will be her gift from me and I will suggest the science kits to relatives.

I am looking for any ideas.

Some background.....

We do not live where we have access to "experience-type" gifts.  We do not have museums, zoos, bounce houses, amusements parks, horse farms, roller rinks....  You get the idea.

Dd no longer really plays with toys.  She has an AG doll and a nice dollhouse, but does not play with either much anymore.

Dd is not really into electronics or video games.  She already has a laptop, iPod, and cell phone.

We have a great library within walking distance that we visit multiple times a week.  So books are not really practical.

Dd is super picky about clothing (how it fits and feels) and needs to pick that kind of stuff out on her own.  Plus she is not a fashion-type girl and rarely gets excited about clothing.

Dd has every art supply known to man.  

Dd has a stack of gift cards to many different stores that she has gotten as gifts over the last year or so.  She can not think of things to buy.  If I need something from one of the places, I pay her for the card and she put the cash in her savings account.

Dd's main hobbies are violin, skiing, and gymnastics.  She has every piece of gear needed for all of these activities.

Dd is not into jewelry.  At all.  Or make-up.

Dd has a tiny bedroom so "stuff" in general is hard for her.  Knick-knacks seem to be the go-to gift from the grandmas and she is simply out of display room for anything like that.

This kids never ever asks for anything.  She in an only child and only grandkid so has traditionally been showered with gifts.  We (her parents) do not spoil her.  We never just buy her stuff and typically buy her a single gift from the two of us for birthdays and Christmas.  So, aside from the hat I will knit, we really just need one nice "santa" gift and some suggestions for the relatives.

After weeks of brainstorming, we have nothing so any out-of-the box suggestions would be great!

Does she have a Kindle? (I know, library down the street ... but sometimes it is nice to have 300 books in your purse ...)

Any bigger, more interesting science kits? Maybe a telescope or microscope?

It sounds like she has a great thing going--not a materialistic bone in her body, which is awesome, but it would make it difficult to shop for her.

If she prefers to save her money, actually ... cash or an investment account may not be a very "fun" gift, but it may be just the thing for her. A contribution to an eventual car fund, maybe?

at that age, we got youngest DD a good set of colored pencils and a good sketch book.  Her older sister gave her a "How To Draw Fairies" book and an artist was born!  Having good quality tools makes a big difference in how much she enjoys herself.  These days, she pretty much sticks to the Prismacolor pencils because she likes the way feel on the paper.

Other good gifts have been: an apron and cookbook, cooking tools, storage box for drawing supplies and a jewelry box.

ETA - as far as the Kindle - go to your local library website.  We check out e-books from the library from the website and download right from there.  The wonderful part is that you never have fines because the books disappear automatically when the check out period is over.

at that age, we got youngest DD a good set of colored pencils and a good sketch book.  Her older sister gave her a "How To Draw Fairies" book and an artist was born!  Having good quality tools makes a big difference in how much she enjoys herself.  These days, she pretty much sticks to the Prismacolor pencils because she likes the way feel on the paper.

Other good gifts have been: an apron and cookbook, cooking tools, storage box for drawing supplies and a jewelry box.

ETA - as far as the Kindle - go to your local library website.  We check out e-books from the library from the website and download right from there.  The wonderful part is that you never have fines because the books disappear automatically when the check out period is over.

Dd has a full set of prismacolor pencils and several nice sketch books.  But the fairy thing is great!  I completely forgot about her fairy obsession.  I am checking out some how to draw books now!

A subscription to Make magazine? Mushing magazine? Some other specialty magazine?

A completely off-the-wall suggestion (& pricey) -- a 3D printer?

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/affordable-3d-printer/

Also, I had no idea there was a whole magazine devoted to mushing.  This would be great!  We volunteer for a big local dogsled race every year and dd has even been on a sled a few times.  We go meet the annual crop of new puppies at a musher friend's house every spring.

Of course....if we get her the magazine subscription, I know what will be on next year's Christmas list....  Dogs and a sled....

There is a 3D printer on amazon for $200 which seems to be about the cheapest out there. Just fyi....

http://www.amazon.com/Printer-Dimensions-Micron-1-75mm-Filament/dp/B00OK091OW/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_bsnr_3

Also, I had no idea there was a whole magazine devoted to mushing.  This would be great!  We volunteer for a big local dogsled race every year and dd has even been on a sled a few times.  We go meet the annual crop of new puppies at a musher friend's house every spring.

We learned about the magazine this summer when we visited Alaska & a mushing camp. The musher we rode with is actually the publisher of the magazine. I ended up getting my dd a subscription & she loves it (even though we live where there's no snow).

In a way, your dd sounds like she has similar tastes to my dd. We use the library a lot, but dd still loves getting books. I try to find odd/unique ones that the library doesn't have. She likes lots of non-fiction, things like organic gardening, animal care (all types), falconry, mushing, etc....

Some ideas -- yes, these are all books that my dd has:

The Forgotten Arts

Forgotten Household Crafts

Slice of Organic Life

Survive! (plus she has some of the dvds of the shows)

Back to Basics

Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice In Our Campaign Against The Fairy Kingdom :laugh:

Fantastic Realms!: Draw Fantasy Characters, Creatures and Settings

Mush! Revised: A Beginner's Manual of Sled Dog Training

Ski Spot Run: The Enchanting World of Skijoring and Related Dog-Powered Sports

any of the Storey's guides

The Pack Goat

and so on.... Just spend a little time poking around amazon or other book sites.

In a way, your dd sounds like she has similar tastes to my dd. We use the library a lot, but dd still loves getting books. I try to find odd/unique ones that the library doesn't have. She likes lots of non-fiction, things like organic gardening, animal care (all types), falconry, mushing, etc....

The Forgotten Arts

Slice of Organic Life

Back to Basics

Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice In Our Campaign Against The Fairy Kingdom :laugh:

The Pack Goat

and so on.... Just spend a little time poking around amazon or other book sites.

So many awesome ideas!  Thanks!  And it does sound like our kids have similar tastes.  Skijoring is something my dd would LOVE to do some time.  We have skijorers pass us on the ski trails on a regular basis.  Of only we had a dog.....

A few suggestions from a mom of a 10 year old -

Audiobooks -  A subscription to someplace like audible for a year and a small iPod would be a fantastic gift.  There are so many great books to choose from and if you buy a used iPod then it's not an outlandishly expensive gift.

Lego - my DD is currently playing with these all the time after having no interest in them for the first 9 1/2 years of her life

Playmobils - another hit here with DD and all her friends

The Forgotten Arts

Slice of Organic Life

Back to Basics

The Pack Goat

Great list!

Dd has every art supply known to man. 

Does this include a loom beading kit?  My daughter received a bead loom at about that age and has been beading ever since.  (She's now a college graduate and took the bead loom with her to college and more recently to South Korea where she's currently living.) 

I was also going to suggest a Kindle.

How about some fun t-shirts that reflect her interests?

Dog sledding t-shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/+dog-sled+t-shirts

Violin t-shirts at http://www.zazzle.com/violin+tshirts

Skiing t-shirts at http://www.zazzle.com/skiing+tshirts

Regards,

Kareni

This is a sort of off the wall suggestion, but that was the age my grandmother started giving me one place setting of what is now my everyday dishes for Christmas each year. I think it was my mom's idea, and I remember sort of shrugging my shoulders at the time, but when I had my first place out of college, I already had plates and bowls, etc. I sure did love it then!!