Menu

Pope to have showers installed for homeless at St. Peter's Square

ktgrok

That's good.

Even better would be reducing the need for such showers by making sure homeless people have somewhere to live.

I guess even the Pope has to start somewhere...

Start somewhere? The Catholic Church is the world's largest charitable organization, and provides a quarter of the world's health care. The vast majority of services for the homeless in Rome are provided by the Catholic charities Sant' Egidio and Caritas Roma. The city of Rome spends almost none of its own funds on aid to the homeless.

Great.

My only point is that it's better to deal with homelessness itself, rather than just the symptoms of homelessness.

For all I know the Pope is selling off the church silver and establishing low-cost, supported housing all over Italy. More power to the church if that's what's happening.

Meanwhile, showers are a nice, first step.

But they aren't a first step. The Office of Papal Charities (papal Almoner)--the pope's personal charity for the poor, including the homeless--is at least a thousand years old.

Perhaps I am not understanding the point you are trying to make.

ETA: You might try googling "Catholic Charities homelessness" to see what the Church is doing in this country to deal with homelessness itself. If your Italian is up to it, you can see what the Church is doing in Rome.

I was barely old enough to remember Pope John, but recall very well how much my parents both loved and admired his warmth and humanity.

Today I'm very gratified to have a Pope like Francis providing an authentic example of humility and kindness to my son's generation. I'm not Catholic, but...

Bill

Start somewhere? The Catholic Church is the world's largest charitable organization, and provides a quarter of the world's health care. The vast majority of services for the homeless in Rome are provided by the Catholic charities Sant' Egidio and Caritas Roma. The city of Rome spends almost none of its own funds on aid to the homeless.

Dh's uncle worked for Catholic Charities for a time, the amount of assistance they provide is staggering.