Menu

Going straight from Saxon Math 1 to Saxon Math 2

Blessed5x

Hi all!! My 6 year old just finished Saxon Math 1, so I pulled out Saxon Math 2. However there is quite a lot of stuff at the beginning that we've already covered (review obviously). Did you just skip past most of it, and start on new concepts, or go through it? I think she's pretty strong with what she already knows, so I was hoping that someone has already figured out where the new concepts begin in the 2nd level book.

Thanks!!

Saxon is designed with about 1/4 - 1/3 review before new concepts are introduced. I personally would start at the beginning with 2 and move at a faster pace if you feel it is stifling. It truly is an incremental approach to math and the time, reps and automaticity is what gives them a lot of confidence as they tackle tougher concepts. I believe multiplication is introduced in 2. Also new concepts will be happening in the meeting that will gradually turn into "mental math" as they move through the levels. 

I wouldn't skip any lessons, but you can do just the front of the worksheet rather than the front and back until you get to newer material.  The back of the worksheet has the same problems as the front, just with different numbers.  They were designed for public school to do the front of the worksheet in class and the back at home as homework

I wouldn't skip any lessons, but you can do just the front of the worksheet rather than the front and back until you get to newer material.  The back of the worksheet has the same problems as the front, just with different numbers.  They were designed for public school to do the front of the worksheet in class and the back at home as homework

We've only ever done 1 side, unless I felt like she needed extra practice.

The reason I was thinking about skipping is, I feel she has a strong knowledge of Math 1, and by starting from the beginning of Math 2 we will be doing a month of review...review that's been in every lesson in Math 1. I just feel it's a waste of time to spend her whole lesson doing things she's already mastered. I guess I'll just spend the time and figure out where a new concept is taught in the book and start closer to that.

I'm guessing since this curriculum was made for the classroom that they've been made to tailor to a student that had 2 months of no math, so of course they would need a lot of review. However, that is not the case with us...

Thanks so much for your responses!

We ran into the same thing this year, and unlike the others in this thread, I gave him the tests until I found something he struggled with and started there.  We haven't come across any problems so far with skipping over something..  And really, if you do skip and find her struggling, there's no reason you can't stop for a bit to reinforce a concept or find the lesson that was necessary.  Generally in Level 2 you're talking about missing one concept that can be explained easily and applied just as easily, not the base layer for teaching more complicated equations and such, if that makes sense.

I have been cautioned not to do this after we get done with 3 this year though, that is, not to skip problems or lessons in 5/4 and beyond.

Here's what Saxon has to say:

If your student is to begin a new book soon after completing the previous one, we recommend using the placement tests to assess his or her preparedness for the next level. Rather than completing one lesson per day, complete one test each day and begin taking lessons at the point where the student's mastery drops below 80%. This way, you can bypass the material that is meant as a review of the previous level. - See more at: http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/math/homeschool/saxon-math-homeschool/resources/faq#previous

Since we do math year-round, I have followed this advice with all my kiddos and for all the levels so far (we are at Alg 2 now) and it has been fine.  For the lower levels I also do the oral assessments.  For the middle levels, I also do the investigations, and every fifth mental math.  For both levels we do a fact sheet with the test.

We ran into the same thing this year, and unlike the others in this thread, I gave him the tests until I found something he struggled with and started there.  We haven't come across any problems so far with skipping over something..  And really, if you do skip and find her struggling, there's no reason you can't stop for a bit to reinforce a concept or find the lesson that was necessary.  Generally in Level 2 you're talking about missing one concept that can be explained easily and applied just as easily, not the base layer for teaching more complicated equations and such, if that makes sense.

I have been cautioned not to do this after we get done with 3 this year though, that is, not to skip problems or lessons in 5/4 and beyond.

Thank you! I didn't do it with my girls who went into 4th...but I'm totally going to do it with grade 2!

Here's what Saxon has to say:

If your student is to begin a new book soon after completing the previous one, we recommend using the placement tests to assess his or her preparedness for the next level. Rather than completing one lesson per day, complete one test each day and begin taking lessons at the point where the student's mastery drops below 80%. This way, you can bypass the material that is meant as a review of the previous level. - See more at: http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/math/homeschool/saxon-math-homeschool/resources/faq#previous

Since we do math year-round, I have followed this advice with all my kiddos and for all the levels so far (we are at Alg 2 now) and it has been fine.  For the lower levels I also do the oral assessments.  For the middle levels, I also do the investigations, and every fifth mental math.  For both levels we do a fact sheet with the test.

This is exactly what I was looking for today, but couldn't find! 

thank you so much :)