Menu

What is Dolcianis Sequence for Math?

I'm specifically interested in the older editions of her texts. I think that I have them all, but can someone please confirm for me if these are all of the books from the series?

I want to look into the whole series, but I have to get them through interLibrary Loan. I've been browsing around and I think that I have titles for the whole series.

Mathematics Structure and Method 1

Mathematics Structure and Method 2

Prealgebra: An Accelerated Course

Algebra  Structure and Method 1

Algebra + Trig. Structure and Method 2

Introductory Analysis

Geometry: Structure and Method

ETC: Does this look like all of them? Are there any that I'm missing?

I consider Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Course to be a compression of the two Mathematics books.  I've skimmed the Pre-Algebra book and the lessons are often the same as the corresponding lesson in the Mathematics Course 1 or Course 2 book.  Obviously it is faster paced than doing both of the Mathematics books.

You should not need both trigonometry and analysis.

When I was a high school student, I used the Alg II book (which is heavy on trig) followed by Analysis.  With my son, we began using the Alg II book at the start of 10th grade, then switched to the Trig book for the second half of the year.  The Trig book begins by defining the trig functions as circular functions as opposed to triangular, although triangular functions are covered later (and a student in geometry is already exposed to the triangular concept).  There is a nice chapter on vectors in the Trig book (which also happens to be co-written by Beckenbach).

To the OP:  The Trig book may be overkill for the average student who is exposed to a sufficient amount of trig in the Algebra II book. The Analysis book is, in my opinion, far superior to any "precalc" text that is out there. 

*If* we go with Dolciani for highschool mathematics, then we'll probably do everything as 1) We have plenty of time, and 2) I find that many students in Calculus and beyond aren't very solid on trigonometry, too often their trig knowledge can be summed up as follows: SOH-CAH-TOA and unit circle*.

*If* we go with Foersters, then we won't worry about the separate trigonometry book, because trig is included in both the algebra II book and the precalculus book. I have already decided to use one series for HS level math, but I can't decide which one...I think that Dolciani might be the way to go, but I haven't seen either series up close yet.

I really, really, really want to just pick one solid upper level math curriculum and then the GEAR students just use it. Personally, I just absolutely loved the simplicity of using Math Mammoth for grades 1-6 for elementary, and I really want something similar for grades 7-12 mathematics. I will have the flexibility of adding in more as needed, but if the extras fall to the wayside, then we can still truck along in our spine math program without losing too much ground.

*most of them can't remember what the unit circle is, or what its used for.

*If* we go with Dolciani for highschool mathematics, then we'll probably do everything as 1) We have plenty of time, and 2) I find that many students in Calculus and beyond aren't very solid on trigonometry, too often their trig knowledge can be summed up as follows: SOH-CAH-TOA and unit circle*.

*If* we go with Foersters, then we won't worry about the separate trigonometry book, because trig is included in both the algebra II book and the precalculus book. I have already decided to use one series for HS level math, but I can't decide which one...I think that Dolciani might be the way to go, but I haven't seen either series up close yet.

Gil, the Dolciani series has trig in the alg 2/trig text and the modern analysis text, just like Foerster's books. 

I was brought up on Dolciani and love it, but I've also taught out of Foerster. You won't go wrong with either choice. Foerster also has a calculus text, which Dolciani doesn't have, but it's easy to switch to a different author at that stage of the game.

As for trig, I went through a standard Dolciani-esque first pass with my kids, then for a second pass they worked through Gelfand's Trigonometry, which is even more in-depth and theoretical.

You can pick up Foerster's Algebra 1 for about $5 shipped on Amazon and Dolciani is probably in that ballpark too. I'd buy both and look them over and show them to your students when they're ready. Foerster's has video lessons available, Dolciani doesn't (at this time). That might also sway your selection. Here's a link to Math Without Borders:

http://mathwithoutborders.com/

I really, really, really want to just pick one solid upper level math curriculum and then the GEAR students just use it. Personally, I just absolutely loved the simplicity of using Math Mammoth for grades 1-6 for elementary, and I really want something similar for grades 7-12 mathematics. I will have the flexibility of adding in more as needed, but if the extras fall to the wayside, then we can still truck along in our spine math program without losing too much ground.

*most of them can't remember what the unit circle is, or what its used for.

As Kathy said, it's in algebra 2/trig, in trigonometry, and in analysis -- I don't really think 3 coverages are necessary.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Dolciani or Foerster. I mean, obviously preview both and pick one, but don't agonize too much over the decision. Both of them are very good, solid textbook series that will adequately prepare your students for any major they choose, including mathematics.

Also, I think if you are talking about the really old books (1960's) there are two different Geometry books.  One by Brown & Jurgenson and another by Anderson.  Both of them show up in bindings that are marked as part of the Modern School Mathematics series.

There are than that...my '69 copy of Modern School Mathematics Geometry has Jurgensen, Donnelly, Dolciani as authors...

Luckily all the Jurgensen books are similar at least up to the 80's perhaps much further.

FWIW, my unsolicited advice would be to keep in mind that your very non-standard students might need a non-standard path through secondary math.  There is a certain amount of "gearing" that may not be possible until they're developmentally more ready for those gears, including text language and writing output requirements. I would advise fitting the texts to your young students rather than the other way around - stay flexible, add in problem solving as appropriate for their abilities (even going back to elementary/prealgebra concepts at times) and keep it fun :).  There is no such thing as losing ground here except for possible fallout from trying to gear a square peg into a round hole.  You noted that there is plenty of time and there is - fitting in the extras ultimately may prove to be much more important for development of your very young students' tremendous math talent than trying to keep from "losing ground" in secondary math.  Just my two cents :)

Dolciani had more than one series of texts, some just by time period and some serving different purposes.  For the most part, I really don't think it matters whether versions from the various series are mixed-and-matched.

Modern Algebra Structure and Method (Books 1 and 2) seems to be the longest-running series, from late 60s to present, but the early ones differ from more recent ones.  If you are planning on one of the late 60s or early 70s versions, you might like the (1970, 1973) printing of Modern School Mathematics, Pre-Algebra, which starts off with set theory.

In between the late 60s/early 70s and the mid 80s/early 90s series is the late 70s/early 80s New Edition series.  The prealgebra has a green cover and has some set theory.  The algebra is "New Edition" Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 and there's a Book 2 also.

Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course is available in copyright dates 1985, 1987/88, until 1992, I think.  (Keep in mind that Mary Dolciani passed away in 1985.)  Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course does not start out with set theory but has an easy-to-follow, shiny-page format.  My guess, by the cover style, is that Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course is of the same series as Algebra 1, which is similar to the Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 of the same time period (mid-to-late 80s/early 90s) but which may contain a few optional more-difficult lessons/problems than the regular Structure and Method books.  Likewise, there is also an Algebra 2 and Trig text similar to, but perhaps more difficult than, the Structure and Method Book 2 of the same era.

There is a "Basic" series that I believe is for remedial courses (e.g. here and here).

As you probably found, there are also the latest printings, classic editions of Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 and Structure and Method Book 2 Alg 2 and Trig.

(FWIW, I have copies of most of the texts that I linked here.  No, I don't know how that happened :tongue_smilie:.  The only one I have used parts of is Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course.)

FWIW, my unsolicited advice would be to keep in mind that your very non-standard students might need a non-standard path through secondary math.  There is a certain amount of "gearing" that may not be possible until they're developmentally more ready for those gears, including the logistics of using such texts with regard to text language and writing output requirements. I would advise fitting the texts to your young students rather than the other way around - stay flexible, add in problem solving as appropriate for their abilities (even going back to elementary/prealgebra concepts at times) and keep it fun :).  There is no such thing as losing ground here except for possible fallout from trying to gear a square peg into a round hole.  You noted that there is plenty of time and there is - fitting in the extras ultimately may prove to be much more important for development of your very young students' tremendous math talent than trying to keep from "losing ground" in secondary math.  Just my two cents :)

Just to be clear, GEAR stands for Gils Elementary Academy for Ruffians. Its the name of our homeschool, I should really get shirts made. That'd be so neat.

Just to be clear, GEAR stands for Gils Elementary Academy for Ruffians. Its the name of our homeschool, I should really get shirts made. That'd be so neat.

Oh, LOL.  Still, I'll caution that secondary texts are not particularly well-suited for early- or even mid/late-elementary-age kids to "just use" the way you used MM with your first(?) graders, as the asynchronicities between math level and other personal skills are too great and the texts are simply not designed to be used in the same mostly-self-teaching manner of MM.  I have a few ruffians of my own and with perhaps the exception of Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course, I would not consider serving up a text with a format density of an old Dolciani.

There are than that...my '69 copy of Modern School Mathematics Geometry has Jurgensen, Donnelly, Dolciani as authors...

Luckily all the Jurgensen books are similar at least up to the 80's perhaps much further.

What I was trying to explain is that there are two different books that were both issued in the 1960's as part of the Modern School Mathematics series.

On this board the Brown, Jurgenson and Dolciani text is often mentioned. But I also have one from the same series that was written by Anderson, Garon and Gremillion. My point was that there were two different books, not just that each has multiple authors.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I recently bought a Modern School Mathematics Geometry (Jurgensen, Donnelly, Dolciani). Nice book but there are NO answers at all. Maybe this is ok for you, but I was bummed out.

FWIW, later editions of Jurgensen (1980s) have the odd answers in the back (not full solutions).

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I recently bought a Modern School Mathematics Geometry (Jurgensen, Donnelly, Dolciani). Nice book but there are NO answers at all. Maybe this is ok for you, but I was bummed out.

That's true... my mid 60's copies of Algebra 1 and 2 Structure/Method also have no answers in the back. Definitely something to consider... By contrast, my '63 copy of Allendoerfer and Oakley's "Principles of Mathematics" has the expected odd answers in the back. I have no idea when the Dolciani books added odd answers.

That's true... my mid 60's copies of Algebra 1 and 2 Structure/Method also have no answers in the back. Definitely something to consider... By contrast, my '63 copy of Allendoerfer and Oakley's "Principles of Mathematics" has the expected odd answers in the back. I have no idea when the Dolciani books added odd answers.

I think this may actually vary edition to edition.  I have early 1960's Algebra 2 with answers and I also have an Algebra 1 from the same period with no answers.  I don't know if when schools ordered the books they could specify. 

I have not found that I need a solution manual, but it is really nice to be able to check the answer and see if you were on the right track.

Have to laugh at the way-back machine that I find myself in thinking of math curricula, lol. Fwiw, I remember that Dolciani's Analysis is basically what would be equated as Pre-Calc today (that is probably the only textbook I used in school that I actually remember... Weird.) so, in a typical college-bound sequence, you would have Analysis in Junior year and AP Calc in Senior year. I do agree with a pp though on watching how these texts line up with an accelerated student. These books were not written with younger than average students in mind.

Thanks for the throw-back, lol.

Hth.