Menu

budgeting software/online/whatever

ktgrok

I have been using mvelopes. I love that it lets me assign paychecks to various categories, plan how things will be funded, etc. I love that it is envelope budgeting. I love that it can sync with my bank, credit cards, carecredit, paypal account, etc,automatically each day. I do NOT love that it freezes up constantly (even on my new mac, so I know it wasn't a fault of my old computer like I thought before). It sometimes misses a transaction. It will do all sorts of buggy things. I can always get it to fix, but come on, I hate tracking money anyway, don't make it harder!

So, I looked at options. Mint will sync, and I can probably do a general monthly thing rather than assigning paychecks, we have enough to cover that, fine. But...I can't figure it out. It lets me budget how much I want to spend on christmas this month, and next month, based on my income. But...I already HAVE money saved up for christmas, in that envelope. There is money in my checking account now, for these things. But if I spend it, above what i've earned, ti will freak out. If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know. 

budgetease is nice, clean looking, I set up all my envelopes, but having the same issue with loading the envelopes with what i already have in them. I kind of figured it out in there, it CAN be done, but it's a pain. And worse, it won't automatically sync. I have to download info from each bank account separately (two checking accounts, one savings, two credit cards, paypal, etc). and then import them. Nope, not going to happen. 

Same with ynab, with the additional pain that it is hard to plan ahead, to know what to fund first, etc. I've used it before, it can be done, but not my favorite. 

I want mvelopes, but I want it to WORK. And if it had bill pay too, that would be even better :)

Is there something I'm missing? That will automatically sync with my accounts, and has envelope style budgeting?

And yes, I should enter everything in manually as I spend it. Won't happen. Also, hubby is spending money, lots of bills are on autopay, etc. I want to check it everyday or so, assign transactions to envelopes, etc. but don't want to type each one it. 

• 1 month later...

"and yes, I should enter everything in manually as I spend it. Won't happen. Also, hubby is spending money, lots of bills are on autopay, etc. I want to check it everyday or so, assign transactions to envelopes, etc. but don't want to type each one it. "

Just bumping this because this is the thing that changed our spending habits and made me more aware of how we use the "tool" called money than anything else we've ever done.

Don't know what you decided on but if you have some free time you may want to read about the "rules" of YNAB and why it is so important to know where your money is going instead of just reacting to where it has gone.

With the method above, your spending is controlling you.

With YNAB's budgeting system, in all due respect, I have to concur with their opinion, YOU are actually the one controlling your money.  Every dollar has a plan. 

Sorry to bring up something that may have been resolved for you but if you haven't found a solution, you may want to reconsider.

(I wasn't trolling for someone to bother, lol, I was searching for posts about YNAB to see if others have been using it here and trying to glean some new ideas/tools about financial management and came across your post.  When I saw it had no responses, I thought I might be of help, if not, feel free to ignore :)

Oh, and i use it just like YNAB when I used YNAB, I still have a plan for every dollar. I just let it upload the reciepts every morning when I sit down and look at it, rather than me entering them in manually. I'm still using it daily to see where I need to watch my spending, what categories are nearly empty, etc. 

Oh, and i use it just like YNAB when I used YNAB, I still have a plan for every dollar. I just let it upload the reciepts every morning when I sit down and look at it, rather than me entering them in manually. I'm still using it daily to see where I need to watch my spending, what categories are nearly empty, etc. 

Do you have the free version of mvelopes? I need to save some time as well, so the upload is a nice feature.

You mentioned up-thread about your Dh spending money (as does mine, I don't do all the grocery shopping). I was curious about how that works with these apps. Are any of the apps "sharable"? (I'm thinking specifically of Google Calendar, where you can set it up for multiple people to see or add to.) That would be so helpful to us.

Do you have the free version of mvelopes? I need to save some time as well, so the upload is a nice feature.

You mentioned up-thread about your Dh spending money (as does mine, I don't do all the grocery shopping). I was curious about how that works with these apps. Are any of the apps "sharable"? (I'm thinking specifically of Google Calendar, where you can set it up for multiple people to see or add to.) That would be so helpful to us.

I have the paid version. 

Yes, the app/program is sharable. Each person has a login and password. Everyone sees the same stuff.