Menu

If you wanted to improvise Italian sausage from ground pork, what would you use?

Kareni

My daughter is currently living in South Korea and would like to make a couple of favorite recipes that call for Italian sausage.  She's been unable to find it; however, she can purchase ground pork.  How might she improvise Italian sausage?  I can tell it has fennel seeds.  Any suggestions?

Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Kareni

I add sage and anise seed.

Well, that certainly sounds simple!  Can you suggest quantities to add to a pound of pork?

And now you've had me looking to see the difference between anise and fennel since I was convinced Italian sausage had fennel in it.  I found this short piece of interest.

Regards,

Kareni

I always make my own Italian sausage since I found a recipe that I liked.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-style-sausage/detail.aspx

My only change is that I don't use the anise seeds- I use fennel seeds that I crush with a mortar and pestle.  Oh, and I also add a nice drizzle of olive oil when I mix it up.  I use my own ground pork which is pretty lean, so I think it needs the oil for the proper mouth feel.  

That recipe looks good, too, Erika.  The first recipe (which PrairieSong linked) requires that the blend sit for twelve hours before use while the recipe you linked indicates that it can be used immediately.  Is that what you do?  or do you find it improves with time?

Regards,

Kareni

That recipe looks good, too, Erika.  The first recipe (which PrairieSong linked) requires that the blend sit for twelve hours before use while the recipe you linked indicates that it can be used immediately.  Is that what you do?  or do you find it improves with time?

Regards,

Kareni

I think it probably improves with time, but honestly, most often I just don't think about it too far ahead of time, so I mix it up and let it sit while I get the rest of whatever I'm making ready.  At most it might sit for 30 minutes before I cook it. It really is very good.  I love it as a pizza topping, mixed into lasagna and pasta sauce, and cooked up into patties and topped with peppers and onions.