Menu

inexpensive source for quality trays suitable for Montessori work?

prairiewindmomma

I'm incorporating more Montessori work into our homeschool for our younger children so that they are occupied with suitable activities while I am working with my older kids. (IE---toddler needs to stop destroying the house). I'd like to pick up a 3 part tray for card work for my K'er and I'm needing 4-6 trays that I can set up for my toddler each day. I'd like a few wood ones and a few plastic ones.

Any ideas? The breakfast trays are much too large for some activities....something with a base about the size of a sheet of paper would be lovely.

Michaels sells good quality plastic trays, meant for crafting but they work really well for isolating activities. We've also used the wooden trays that come with Melissa and Doug toys for a number of things. (Those trays are awful for storing M&D since they don't have a lid, but work perfectly for setting up activities...I just store the toys that come with them in separate plastic bins.)

I have 2 ideas... both of which I had but never used... :)

1 - Just make some...  quality plywood looks amazingly lovely when oiled or shellacked...  cut to the right size, either just put handles on each side, or tack down a 1 by 1 around the sides..

2 - there are a few kinds of trays that were very very popular 30-50 years ago that you OFTEN find at antique stores and thrift stores.  You might find a set of them to use.  They're smaller, which is nice.  

I got really really into trying to set up montessori activities on trays for a while... but realized I just wasn't good enough at planning it out.  Instead I had 5 paper lunch sacks each with different little activities in it.  I just got the lunch sack and did it on a place mat.  (I really like place mats and tiny rugs and use those instead of trays unless it's messy... if it's messy we just do it outside)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...