Menu

Lets Read and Find Out Science Books

mathmarm

Just my two cents here... But my kids grew out of Stage one really fast, where as some if the Stage two info is pretty high level stuff presented on a super easy to understand level. I have a science degree and still gleaned some things out of those books! This go around with science we didn't even use the stage one (my kids watch magic school bus, and lother PBS stuff). I got most of our collection from Goodwill.

Hth

Angela

Just my two cents here... But my kids grew out of Stage one really fast, where as some if the Stage two info is pretty high level stuff presented on a super easy to understand level. I have a science degree and still gleaned some things out of those books! This go around with science we didn't even use the stage one (my kids watch magic school bus, and lother PBS stuff).

Agree with this, but if I'm reading the OP's siggy right and remembering from other posts, her LO is just a year old! I think the Level 1 are perfect for a toddler (probably starting at 2) as a gentle introduction to the world. I'm not sure where you could buy a complete set, although it would probably be worth searching on ebay. (Have you checked your local library? Even if I had the money I wouldn't have felt it was worth it to actually buy the complete set. Unlike stories, they become a little boring to kids after they've been read a couple of times.)

Rainbow Resource is the only place I have seen them sold in sets.

We chose to buy only the level 2 books because when ds was younger we got him the set of Usborne Beginners nonfiction books. He loved these books -- they have great information but also really nice pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Usborne+beginners&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUsborne+beginners

Another great series similar to LRAFO is the Wells of Knowledge set. The topics don't overlap with LRAFO, so we bought all of these too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Robert+wells+of+knowledge

Agree with this, but if I'm reading the OP's siggy right and remembering from other posts, her LO is just a year old! I think the Level 1 are perfect for a toddler (probably starting at 2) as a gentle introduction to the world. I'm not sure where you could buy a complete set, although it would probably be worth searching on ebay. (Have you checked your local library? Even if I had the money I wouldn't have felt it was worth it to actually buy the complete set. Unlike stories, they become a little boring to kids after they've been read a couple of times.)

I did miss that part! Then I agree level one would be great for a while.

There is a list out there. I believe I have one compiled by another homeschool mom. I'll try to see if I can find it on my computer when I get home.

Angela.

Agreeing with one of the above posters. When my kids are young they love the Usborne beginner books. They love the pictures.

Then we move to the Read and Find Out series. I bought a set from Rainbow because I have multiple kids and I get a lot of use out of them.

If your kids are preschool or so, then I would go with Level 1. There is a lot of info in some of the Level 2 books.

Earlier this year, I created an article about the Let's Read and Find Out Science series for Wikipedia that includes a list of current and past titles in the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s-Read-and-Find-Out_Science

I *THINK* the title list is complete, but every so often I'll find another obscure title from the 1970s. Note that I haven't added stages and summaries and complete pub info yet for many of these titles. (Feel free to pitch in if you speak Wikimarkup language, LOL!)

Just eyeballing it, I'd say about 15 to 25 percent of total titles are now out-of-print, stuff like Opossum by Kazue Mizumura or Seymour Simon's computer titles from the mid-1980s.

Buying bulk lots on eBay is probably the best way to acquire a big batch quickly, but you will end up with duplicates. They are very easy to find used, and in-print are sold new at Borders in the children's science section.

I just took a look at the list and realized we own well over half of them. No wonder we are almost drowning in all the books we have...

I do agree about the Stage one and two books. My kids really loved some of the Stage One books and we have read them many, many times. The Stage One books not so much.