Menu

Cats!

creekland

I swear cats are pretty much like teenagers.  You tell them over and over that they are not allowed to bring pets into the house and yet today I look down on my khaki colored slacks to see yet ANOTHER deer tick crawling up my thigh in search of a hug.  

Since we have a strict no pets policy the young prince had to endure watching me wrap his pet in tape and set it ablaze - the 2nd one on 2 days.  You'd think he'd get the point (sigh).

ps  Anyone have a good deer tick preventative?  I know Frontline no longer works on fleas here - does anyone know if it's still effective against ticks?  We live in a lyme prevalent area.  Usually we get dog ticks.  I haven't seen any of those lately - just deer ticks.  I guess my cat has decided he prefers the smaller breeds...

My understanding is that Frontline isn't a tick repellent.  So you'd still see ticks even when using it.  But they shouldn't stay attached to a pet long enough to transmit any tick born disease.  Of course it wouldn't keep your cat from bringing in unattached ticks that would then crawl on you, either!  For repelling and killing ticks (and fleas) I'm hearing great things about Seresto collars.  Apparently they're worlds better than the flea/tick collars of the olden days.  But I'm always a bit leery of putting collars on cats due to the potential hanging risk.

My understanding is that Frontline isn't a tick repellent.  So you'd still see ticks even when using it.  But they shouldn't stay attached to a pet long enough to transmit any tick born disease.  Of course it wouldn't keep your cat from bringing in unattached ticks that would then crawl on you, either!  For repelling and killing ticks (and fleas) I'm hearing great things about Seresto collars.  Apparently they're worlds better than the flea/tick collars of the olden days.  But I'm always a bit leery of putting collars on cats due to the potential hanging risk.

Collars on our indoor/outdoor cats is probably not a good idea.  They're always roaming the woodpile and in the bushes adding to their fresh dining options.

Good point about the repellent vs killing.  I guess we'll just continue being diligent.

My cat has a tendency to collect lizards as pets instead of ticks. Lizards are better pets than ticks, though. I've never tried to deter his highness by wrapping the lizard in duct tape and setting it ablaze....

Lizards are too cute to set ablaze anyway!  Unfortunately, when we lived in FL the only thing left of lizards were their tails and some barfed up pieces.  Our cats considered them dining options.  We generally knew the lizard escaped if we only saw the tail - or at least - escape is what we like to think.

Duct tape is too concealing to try to deter my young prince.  I use the basic see-through (wrapping packages in paper style) magic tape.  I want him to see what happens to his pet.  (Either that or I'm too cheap to waste duct tape.)

I hate it when I go on the porch and find lizard tails wiggling around. One time I was on the porch and when I walked inside the was something cold and squishy on the bottom of my foot. I had stepped on one of his deceased friends and it had stuck to my bare foot. So gross!

Lizards are too cute to set ablaze anyway! Unfortunately, when we lived in FL the only thing left of lizards were their tails and some barfed up pieces. Our cats considered them dining options. We generally knew the lizard escaped if we only saw the tail - or at least - escape is what we like to think.

Duct tape is too concealing to try to deter my young prince. I use the basic see-through (wrapping packages in paper style) magic tape. I want him to see what happens to his pet. (Either that or I'm too cheap to waste duct tape.)

I don't know if Advantage is said to work for ticks, but I put it on our indoor\outdoor kitty in September and it was very effective...for about 3 weeks. Ds and I just finished pulling *8* ticks off kitty. And weirdly, 2 were deer ticks that appeared to be adhering to the bodies of the dog ticks-I didn't even see them at first. Sneaks!

But I just picked up the Advantage in Target. Need to get some more, obviously.

I swear cats are pretty much like teenagers.  You tell them over and over that they are not allowed to bring pets into the house and yet today I look down on my khaki colored slacks to see yet ANOTHER deer tick crawling up my thigh in search of a hug.  

Since we have a strict no pets policy the young prince had to endure watching me wrap his pet in tape and set it ablaze - the 2nd one on 2 days.  You'd think he'd get the point (sigh).

ps  Anyone have a good deer tick preventative?  I know Frontline no longer works on fleas here - does anyone know if it's still effective against ticks?  We live in a lyme prevalent area.  Usually we get dog ticks.  I haven't seen any of those lately - just deer ticks.  I guess my cat has decided he prefers the smaller breeds...

Your situation really stinks but I had to 'like' for the style alone!

One time I was on the porch and when I walked inside the was something cold and squishy on the bottom of my foot. I had stepped on one of his deceased friends and it had stuck to my bare foot. So gross!

Yuck... Poor lizard and poor you!  Kitty probably thought nothing of it...

I was going to recommend Revolution because I thought it covered ticks as well, until I double checked that on their website. I am shocked. 

Revolution works well for fleas here.  I wish it did ticks!

I don't know if Advantage is said to work for ticks, but I put it on our indoor\outdoor kitty in September and it was very effective...for about 3 weeks. Ds and I just finished pulling *8* ticks off kitty. And weirdly, 2 were deer ticks that appeared to be adhering to the bodies of the dog ticks-I didn't even see them at first. Sneaks!

But I just picked up the Advantage in Target. Need to get some more, obviously.

I'd have had no idea that deer ticks would do this!  You're kitty is apparently more of a tick magnet than mine.  It kind of surprises me that ticks are more prevalent in urban areas, but on the other hand, I suppose deer ticks just might prefer the deer.  Mine might be taking in the outcasts of society.

My cat collects scorpions to play with.

Your cat is NOT allowed to come play with mine!  Of course, mine would have difficulty finding scorpions to play with, so maybe it would be ok if yours doesn't bring friends with him.  I'll consider it.  I'd even say yes if it meant you came with him and we could chat in person!  ;)

Ok, declaring WAR here.  The tab so far... one dog tick (engorged), one deer tick (biting), two deer ticks cruising on the cat, and one in my clothing.

Today hubby shall hunt down some Frontline as that's supposed to work on ticks.  Advantage II doesn't.  Even if it doesn't repel ticks, it's likely a good idea to be sure they die if they bite.

This is FAR more ticks than we've dealt with in years past - esp for a short period of time.  I wonder what's up...