Menu

Help - ds wants to build a computer

I don't know how to go about doing so, but I have a friend whose 9th grader just build a computer. His dad says he learned off you-tube and other internet sources.

My son now wants to build a computer. I've told him to research and start learning how as well as what parts. My husband is a computer guy so he's capable of overseeing the project and he says it's not too hard to buy and put together the parts. I'm not sure exactly where this will go in my house hold.

Have fun. I'm not sure if you want to set him loose or find a mentor to oversee him, but it sounds like a real possibility.

Last time I did it, it wasn't that hard. The documentation that comes with the motherboard makes a huge difference in being able to figure things out. Rebuilding an old PC where you don't have the motherboard specs is harder (just in terms of identifying component and voltage specs before making changes).

Anandtech and newegg are good places to go to research components.

It's easy to do. Tom's hardware website is a good source of information. For books, the library shelves with the CompTIA books would have the DIY computer books. The motherboard does come with instructions for connecting.

You need basically:

Casing

Power supply

Motherboard

Processor Chip

Memory (RAM)

Network card or wireless card to slot into motherboard

Hard disk

Sound card (if you want something better than what comes on the motherboard)

If you have Frys Electronics nearby, go window shopping to look at components.

ETA:

Also anti-static wrist strap and a non-magnetic screwdriver

DS13 is saving up to do this. He's done a lot of research. He's been plotting and scheming all year, and keeps changing his mind. Its been a really good exercise, mostly because earning the money to pay for it has given him lots of time to think about exactly what he wants, and the compromises that you have to make for affordability. He already has a Raspberry Pi and is VERY tech savvy. He wants a gaming PC (we are a Mac family and he is the only one interested in gaming). Meanwhile, he's teaching himself programming and LINUX, upgrading ancient iMacs and dual booting them, and playing around with 3D modelling. I have to admit I underestimated his flare, enthusiasm and determination. I've taken IT off the list of things to teach him.......

Ds used new egg to research part prices. He built a tower as he already had monitors and keyboards. He watched prices fluctuate, discussed realistic budget, and got the final amount in birthday money. It took about half a day to put together. His knowledge came from videos, knowing what components he wanted to upgrade from his old desktop, and messing with old components over the years. He's quite happy.

Have any of your kids bought components to build a desktop or laptop? The most I've ever done is open a tower to replace hard drives, fans or add memory. Is this something we can realistically do and which resources should we turn to?

Yes, mine built a desk top earlier this year!  He had no help from anyone other than resources found online.  He went for something that would optimize his gaming experience.

He researched, researched, and researched some more, ordered all of the parts separately, and put it together.  I was terribly impressed.  There are potential compatibility issues to watch out for regarding the motherboard and processor to take into consideration.

Ds says: "It's all about compatibility and how much performance you want.  You'll have to research the components you already own so that you can adjust what you're buying to make sure all of your parts are compatible."

He chose his parts based on the highest end hardware he could find within his budget. He says he "cheaped out" on the case and hard drive to get better graphics and a better processor. But he says it depends on what you want to use the computer for. Basic schoolwork would have completely different needs than a gaming computer. 

He watched different "budget build" videos on youtube, using their parts suggestions. He would have a found a "build" magazine helpful (we bought him one pretty much after everything had been decided). He googled endlessly for reviews, comments, suggestions to plan all of his parts out ahead of time.  Incredibly (to me anyway), everything worked together from the beginning.