Menu

Recommendations for Algebra through pre-Calculus for STEM minded students

Hi :)

I am looking for recommendations for Algebra I through pre-Calculus for students who are interested in STEM majors (I plan to use one of the college board AP recommended texts for Calc).  I have tutored students through most of the Saxon levels and I am finding that the spiral method doesn't work as well on upper level math for some students (particularly in Advanced Math - material is so spread out and there just isn't enough practice of the skills at the time they are taught).  I haven't really fallen in love with other homeschool curriculum so I have been thinking of going with textbooks used at better high schools.  However, most high school texts seem to  have aligned with Common Core.  Did much change in those?  Should I avoid them and find older texts like Foerster?  And what are we going to do when those can no longer be found? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Well, keep in mind that the CC is relatively new. You can get a math book from 4 years ago, it wont be CC aligned. Ultimately you'll have to look through books and see which ones you like and can study/teach from.

Most mainstream texts are virtually identical. You'll find the Scope and Sequence of topics overwhelmingly similar with a tremendous amount of overlap.

You should try and get books from the same author/publisher if you want a complete coverage of all the Algebra you'll need in Highschoool/Undergrad Mathematics.

Which ever author you go with, sit down with the TOC from their books called Basic Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra and PreCalculus Mathematics. Odds are you will not need all of the books from that series because of the overlap. It may help if you figured out which text you wanted to study Calculus from, then get your Algebra books from that same author. The style of teaching should be similar.

Aligned with CC is not something you need to worry about either avoiding or seeking out.

Foerster is still being printed and there are other current solid options. Foerster will cover everything but Geometry. Pretty much any standard college developmental textbook series (Martin-Gay, Lial, Larson) will also cover everything but Geometry. 

Some of these developmental series also cover geometry but some do not. I would recommend geometry for a STEM-minded student.

There are loads of Foerster copies available going back to the early 90s.  IIRC, it is currently in print as a "classic edition."

Doliciani is another favorite for algebra 1 and for alg 2/trig and there are many different varieties available going all the way back to the 1960s.  AFAIK there is also a "classic edition" currently in print (90s edition reprinted through the 2000s) and easily available used or new.  (There is an "algebra 1" and "algebra 2 and trigonometry," and an "Algebra Structure and Method Book 1" and "Algebra 2 and Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2")

Are you already familiar with AoPS?

old thread on geometry options for STEM http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/515037-stem-engineering-type-students-geometry-suggestions-please/

Here is my review of Foerster's Algebra 1.  I recommend it.

We used Foerster’s Algebra in 8th grade after completing MUS Algebra (easy) and LoF Algebra (challenging).  With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had done something different for 7th grade, perhaps MUS Algebra and Patty Paper Geometry.  I was able to obtain the 1999 student book and 1999 teacher book used.  I purchased the solutions manual new through Prentice Hall.

Pros:

• Clear, easy to understand explanations
  • Explicit, step-by-step working through problems
  • Sufficient practice and continual review of concepts
  • Clear building upon and relationships between concepts
  • Explicit demonstration of how to apply concepts to word problems
  • Challenging, real-life word problems
  • Solutions manual provides worked out solutions for every problem
  • Solid preparation for ACT/SAT, sciences, college level math
  • Amusing names in many word problems:  Moe Delaune, Mary Thon, Fran Tick, etc.
  • Math Without Borders DVDs available

Cons:

• None

Here is an example from Foerster’s Chapter 6 on the Quadratic Formula:

In Foerster's Chapter 6 they teach the quadratic formula. That's

x = [-b +- sqrt(b2-4ac)]/2a

(not easy to type here)
Within this chapter, they teach the vertical motion formula: d = rt - 5t(squared)
They have a section with 12 problems. The TM says to take 2 days to do these problems, but only do 3 problems a day. Here is the first one:
Football problem - A football is kicked into the air with an initial upward velocity of 25 meters per second (m/sec).
a. Calculate it's height after 2 seconds; 3 seconds
b. When will it be 20 meters above the ground?
c. Copy the diagram. Show the answers to part (a) in relationship to the 20 meters of part b.
d. When will the ball hit the ground?

We used 1999 student and teacher text. The solution manual was from the publisher and it had no date on it.  It worked fine.

student 020132458X

teacher 0201324598

solution 0201861003

FWIW - I have a degree in math and ds is math-oriented.

Doliciani is another favorite for algebra 1 and for alg 2/trig and there are many different varieties available going all the way back to the 1960s.  AFAIK there is also a "classic edition" currently in print (90s edition reprinted through the 2000s) and easily available used or new.  (There is an "algebra 1" and "algebra 2 and trigonometry," and an "Algebra Structure and Method Book 1" and "Algebra 2 and Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2")

I had one who used Saxon from Math 54 through the first half of Advanced Math. At that point, he was simply confused and couldn't apply what he learned. We back tracked a bit and used Chalkdust PreCalc, then Chalkdust Calc. He has gone on to graduate from a competitive engineering school, and did well with math there.

My next one used the Dolciani/Brown texts, Algebra structure & method, book 1; Geometry; Algebra structure & method book 2; and their Advanced Math (which is Precalc). He used Larson for Calc and is now taking Calc in college and doing well.

Both of them scored very well on the ACT and SAT math sections. We used the 'classic' editions of Dolciani that are still available.

HTH,

Brenda

My daughter who was a 12 year old 7th grader last year did Discovering Mathematics 7A, 7B.  It has some pre-algebra, and algebra in it.  This year, as an 8th grader, we are using Foerster Alg 1.  She is cruising along, doing well.  I still purchased the Discovering Mathematics for 8th grade for her (8A, 8B) as a supplement. 

I like the word problems, how they explain concepts and explanations of how to set up the equation or expression.  If Singapore math had a "true" Algebra program for one full year, we would have just gone with them, but they don't and so we use it as a supplement.

Now, according to their website, they are not replacing their 7-10 grade texts.  They are revamping their K-8 program, with 8th grade math being a true Algebra course...when that comes out, that ought to be great!

My plan: Foerster Alg 1, Jacobs Geometry, Foerster Alg 2 Trig, Pre Calc (not sure about this?)  Also supplementing with Singapore Math, I bought up to 9th grade.  The 10th grade texts are out of stock, they will be restocked at the end of October, but after 12/31/2014, they will no longer be sold.

What do you all use/recommend after Alg 2 Trig?  What Pre-Calc and Calc curriculum?

Foerster's pre-calculus and calculus textbooks are solid and if you like Foerster, I'd continue.

If not, you can transition to any other solid pre-calculus textbook with the grounding from Foerster's algebra and trigonometry textbook. It is not necessary to make this decision now -- I'd pencil in Foerster and re-evaluate during algebra 2.

There are loads of Foerster copies available going back to the early 90s.  IIRC, it is currently in print as a "classic edition."

FYI late 1990s additions of AW Foerster texts are the same as the PH 2005 classic editions, just different covers

Hi :)

I have tutored students through most of the Saxon levels and I am finding that the spiral method doesn't work as well on upper level math for some students (particularly in Advanced Math -

There should be a spiral of previous problem types as the class marches on over the course of the year. This could be as few as a couple of problems per week. I do believe that part of Saxon still holds up when the current topic is fairly disjoint from the previous topic.  An example would be you covering Probability now and having a "HW" problem on completing the square that was covered a month earlier.  It is basically doing continuous review.

Thank you so much for your responses; they are very helpful!  My concern over books not being available down the line comes from the fact that I am tutoring students now but I have children that are 3 and 5. :)  I think I am just going to slowly start collecting a few of these titles.  

Also, MarkT, I used a poor choice of words when I said the spiral method may not work at higher levels.  I should have specified that I meant Saxon's spiral format in the upper level books.  For example, when trinomial factoring is covered, the kids maybe get 2 or 3 problems to work on factoring that day. They need to work several that day in order to get the hang of it and then lots of review thereafter.  I have seen better results with algebra students when they get a good 10 or so problems to practice the skill of the day and then another 10 to 15 review problems.  So, I what I mean is that Saxon's spiral doesn't give enough practice on the skill being taught that day (I like the review component just fine). :)

I have taught 2 of mine with Saxon through Calculus and one through Advanced Math (pre-calculus). The two who went through Calculus are both engineers and graduated college with no less than a 3.9 GPA. I did not supplement with either of these two. The third did not do Calculus because she is majoring in Nursing and did not need Calculus. My youngest is currently in Algebra 2 with Saxon. This one I do supplement because we do math trough the summer and I use the summer to review the previous year with different curriculum. She also is very strong in math. So Saxon can work. Actually her worst year in math is when I stepped away from Saxon for a year. This child gets concepts quickly and just as quickly forgets them. The constant extensive review in Saxon makes certain she remembers.

I have had students who do very well with Saxon, so I totally agree that it can work.  However, I've run across a few it does not work for, so I am hoping that I can have a few other things on hand to supplement with or suggest to parents who want to try something else.  :)  

Thank you so much for your responses; they are very helpful!  My concern over books not being available down the line comes from the fact that I am tutoring students now but I have children that are 3 and 5. :)  I think I am just going to slowly start collecting a few of these titles.  

Worth collecting cheap copies but there is a shift going on in math these days and by the time your boys get to that point, there may be "new" classics.