Menu

Need suggestions for DD13yr with cognitive delays

I haven't written about my dd13 (7th grade) in a while but I am needing some encouragement and suggestions right now.

DD13 can read on grade level but her interests are those of a nine year old.  Her spelling and math (Saxon 6/5) are about 5th grade.  She is reading through Story of the World Ancients plus encyclopedia reads for history.  Science is a mixture of physics documentaries and Jan Cleave projects along with her own experiments with bottle rockets, gliders and launchers.  Her handwriting and writing is really low.  She is in WWE4 and struggles with basic punctuation.  We have tried countless handwriting programs however she still has bad habits (forming letters) which I can't break.  I would like to increase her writing output but I think I can only do that if I get her typing so she isn't so hung up on the actual handwriting.  Some days I feel like she is doing okay.  Some days I just worry. She is not going to overcome her disabilities.  This is not a case of "a better approach/teacher" will fix it.  I often find myself wondering if I am doing enough with her but really she burns out quickly.  Whether I like it or not, we are doing her pace.  Should I be greatly concerned?  She wants to be homeschooled for high school.  I am not sure how that would look.  Could someone direct me to a website about graduating a homeschool special education kiddo?  I think I  need to do some planning.

I don't know if it would be useful to you or not, but I'm using the ideas from EZ Write with my ds.  You sound like you're doing so many things well!  Her education is rich, diverse, and she's engaged with it.  Yes to typing or even trying dictation software if she has motor control issues that will affect her typing.  You can use a wireless keyboard and do dictation with an iPad, so it doesn't have to cost a ton of money to get into a device with dictation.  Right now you can find refurb iPad airs on ebay for $350.  The new one is coming out pretty soon, so that will make the price on the apple store for current ones drop.  Really though, I bought a certified refurb on ebay for $350 and it was FINE.  

I don't know *all* your options, but the Walch Powerbasics might work for her.  There are other curricula in that vein, so in threads where it got mentioned you'll find the other products mentioned.  For science, she might enjoy the Bio 101, Chem 101, etc. series Timberdoodle sells.  

I haven't dealt specifically with a cognitive delay, so take that with a grain of salt obviously.

Jewel, hand-writing shouldn't be allowed to impede her learning.

Where it is absurd that students are expected to demonstrate their learning, using an outdated method.

Which needlessly penalizes students with hand-writing difficulties.

By the time that your 13 year old is an adult.

Will people even have a pen that they can find?

Let alone write anything by hand?

I don't require long handwritten assignments from my oldest yet.  I have him study the fundamentals of composition and we are working together through a grammar program.  I discuss good writing (composition) frequently but he's not ready for the big composition assignments yet.  For handwriting, we went slowly and I treat it as a separate subject.  Right now he is up to writing one verse a day in a journal, plus a sentence in cursive. 

If it were me, I would treat letter formation as a separate subject, begin introducing keyboarding, and do the scribing for the student when working on composition.  If you type in MSWord or a similar program with the child looking over your shoulder she will be able to see any grammar/spelling errors noted with the dreaded MSWord underlines. 

ETA:  As far as high school, what I have done is investigate my state's ps requirements.  I learned that there are various levels of requirements and accomodations are permitted for special needs.  The psychologist who did our testing also happens to consult for the schools on educational needs so that helps reassure me as well.  Looking at our state requirements though, I think we might be able to do it.  I wouldn't claim that we have the "Core 40 Plus" (or whatever the name is for the super college prep stuff) but I think we'll get in the basics.  I'm not bound by the ps requirements as far as determining whether I can issue a diploma, but I'd like to at least follow that model for future planning purposes.  If you have  a state homeschooling association, sometimes it will also provide information on graduation requirements and how to prepare transcripts, etc.  It is initimidated, I know- so much pressure now that I have to "keeep track."  But information is power.  :)

You might look at Dragon Naturally Speaking coupled with Ginger for writing output while she learns to type.  I am in a hurry but I will type some suggestions of things that might help below.  

Typing:

Type to Learn 4 if she likes something more like a game (you are a secret agent and type to save info).  Set the wpm to no more than 5 when she first starts off, and accuracy to 95% so she doesn't get overwhelmingly frustrated when she starts out.

Typing Pal if she doesn't like game type activities

Both are usually available through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a lower price.

Books/Resources:

Homeschooling Your Struggling Learner by Kathy Kuhl

http://learningabledkids.com/

For High School I am looking through and trying to figure out everything here, too, but there are MANY who have homeschooled kids with special issues and done so successfully.  Don't have time to pull up resources that have been suggested to me but I will try to chime in later....

In schools here, part of IEP planning as the kids get older involves coming up with a plan for after high school ends and working toward that-- in other words, not necessarily trying to fulfill the standard state graduation requirements, but working along toward something that will work for an individual child/teen's adult life, and enough basics that a child will have the skills to manage independently.  I would think that this reflects national law, not just something local.

Examples I am aware of include a couple of children who are learning to work with jewelry making of some sort, 1 doing leather work and already selling it, several (quite a few) working toward what may be careers in culinary arts fields, 1 going into cosmetology, 1 working with plants, a couple who have gone into organic farming, 1 got a job at the hospital as some sort of aid, 1 into dance, and 1 young man who I knew way back when who had lots of academic troubles, but was very good with animals, has become a biologist specializing in something to do with birds, I just learned, with a PhD despite significant LD's.  Some of this reflects our area: it is an area that has lots of small organic farms, seed companies, fruit tree nurseries, where someone could start out, and, in town, lots of bakeries and other food service jobs. And also several of the high schools have a culinary arts program that gets the kids into doing catering and so on. It is not an area that would be much good locally for technology jobs at present. Other places would probably fit a different mix better.

Definitely go toward typing so her handwriting is not holding her back!