Menu

LDS General Conference October 2014

maize

So, is there a set succession? I didn't know that. I always assumed that the Council/Quorum? of Twelve (may have their name wrong) kind of prayed/fasted and came up with the next President.

Does it go to the one of the guys in the First Presidency?

Curious. :)

When the President dies, the First Presidency is dissolved and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles takes leadership of the church, with the most senior apostle (according to ordination date) as President of the Quorum. The counselors to the former president resume their former places in the Quorum of the Twelve (which would actually typically number 14 at that point). They then select the next president of the church, but the succession really is pretty established--as far as I know the senior Apostle has always become President. The new President chooses his own counselors through prayer and inspiration from among the Apostles, the First Presidency is reorganized, and the Quorum of the Twelve is now left with 11 active members and a vacancy to fill through inspiration.

At least that is the formal process as I understand it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is there a set succession? I didn't know that.  I always assumed that the Council/Quorum? of Twelve (may have their name wrong) kind of prayed/fasted and came up with the next President.

Does it go to the one of the guys in the First Presidency? 

Curious. :)

it is completely based upon seniority.  so - at any given time, we already know who the "next" president of the church will be.

When the Prophet/president dies - the first presidency is dissolved and the counselors return to their position in the line of seniority.  the longest serving apostle is who will become the president of the church.  the 2nd longest serving is who is the president of the quorum of the 12 apostles.  

so, currently in order of seniority - after President Monson

Boyd K. Packer -(he had polio many many years ago, and that is what is behind his current health problems.)

L. Tom Perry

M. Russell Nelson (I remember when he and Elder Oaks were called. . . I feel old.)

Dallin H. Oaks (who was called at the same time as Elder Nelson - but was delayed in starting as he had previous obligations to the Utah Supreme Court where he was a Justice.)

and down

both President Eyring, and President Uchtdorf come after Elder Holland based upon seniority.  (there was a 10 year period where everyone was relatively healthy, and there were no new Apostles called.)

anyway - usually they are in their 50's/60's when they receive the call.  President Monson was *36*.

We've actually had a relatively long stretch with a president who in good health. President Hinckley was remarkably healthy and vigorous and President Monson has been until the last few years, but President Hunter only lived less than a year after he was become the Prophet, and President Benson was sick for a long time, as was President Kimball. So it's not really troubling to see President Monson not well, especially since you expect it at the ages our prophets are, but it is sad. At least he's still able to speak in Conference and I hope he'll be able to for a while.

And I happen to think there are just prayers, not Muslim prayers or Mormon prayers or any other kind. :)

The website says the text should be available in English within two days of Conference.

president Kimball had health problems for many years.  he had throat cancer and most of his vocal chords were removed, he had heart trouble - which is why Elder Nelson performed open heart surgery on him when he was 77.  . . .  (a surgery E.N. recommended against.)  he was also OLDER than President Lee.  he thought he was "safe". 

dh attended President Lee's funeral (which was at Christmas time) - and remembers the look on President Kimball's face.  (the first presidency had not yet been reorganized.)  the weight of the world was on his shoulders and he looked very ?lost?.

a few months later, he came and spoke to the Provo temple workers (dh was there) and he was energetic, and robust, etc.  he said he felt like a boy again.

I expect President Monson will be around for a few more years yet.  but yes, I did notice he did appear something was weighing him down. (which could range from his health to something totally unrelated.)

eta: my personal belief is president Hunter was there to give president Hinckley "a break".  he was called as a third counselor to president Kimball when everyone was healthy - then they weren't and he was doing everything himself . . then he was doing so much with president benson's poor health . . president hunter gave him "a break".  :)

I didn't realize President Packer was suffering from Polio complications, though I knew he has been in a wheelchair recently. I was just reading somewhere that there are still many deaths attributed to Polio in the US because they result from complications from having the disease decades ago.