Menu

LDS General Conference October 2014

maize

I haven't seen a thread yet, hopefully I didn't miss one? If not I'm the fortunate person who gets to start one :)

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng

I missed most of this morning's session, though I caught a couple of talks in between running kids places. I was excited to hear a talk not in English--was it Chinese? I heard most of President Uchdorf's talk, was a little disappointed that he didn't speak in German but I didn't really expect him to. 

Take away lesson from today: I want to be Elder Oaks when I grow up. That was one of the best talks I have ever heard.

I found this live blog to help me catch up on what I missed this morning: 

http://lds.net/blog/faith/general-conference/general-conference-live-blog-october-2014-saturday-morning/

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not LDS, but I've seen some talks here and there.  I really liked the woman who used to head up the Relief Society? before the latest person.  I seem to remember her being single and childless or something along those lines, which was a nice change.  I also used to listen to this woman's podcasts which I loved…http://daughtersofmormonism.blogspot.com

Anyhoo, what did you think of this?  Did it mean anything to you?  Is it a positive?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/29/mormon-feminists-blessed-disciples_n_5901166.html

Happy General  Conference!  I'm always amazed at the different things Mormon Mommy bloggers come up with to keep their kids entertained during General Conference, I think all the super creative Muslim mommies must blog in Arabic or something. :)

I always love the Relief Society broadcast.

I'm not sure why the article makes a big deal about women being called disciples of Jesus, that is nothing new and the term disciple has always applied to both women and men. I do think the Women's Conference rightfully belongs as a part of the General Conference of the church, so calling it that is entirely appropriate.

Elder Wong spoke in Cantonese.  He's from Hong Kong.  I loved hearing his language underneath the English translation.

At the beginning of his talk, President Uchtdorf made a joke about being asked if he'd speak in German and how he said no, but it may sound like it.  He's awesome!

Elder Oaks has been my favorite apostle since I was a teenager.  His talk was fabulous.  Direct, but kind.

umsami, that article is, frankly, silly.  Women have never not been referred to as disciples of Christ.  Christ had female disciples while he was alive!  President Uchtdorf has always seemed to really get women and his phrasing of things is always so great.  But I can't say I was at all surprised at being referred to as a disciple.  I am pretty sure we've been referred to as disciples in the past, too!  I kind of feel like they were so upset not to have Ordain Women to write about to get ratings so they had to grab at something.

Elder Callister just finished and I think his talk, though it had little to do with educating our children exactly and more to do with mothering them, I think there is extra application in there for homeschooling moms.

Right now my 8 year old is feeling a little candy sick.  We don't have candy much (usually just after we read scriptures as a family - I suppose you could say we eat candy religiously lol), but we're playing a game this session that whenever a member of the Godhead is mentioned we can grab a piece of candy.  The 8 year old is incredibly good at listening closely and hearing every mention!  He just came over and said he's feeling so happy right now.  I said I'm not surprised because of all the sugar he's had and he said, "No, it's the words!  They make me feel happy!"  Melt a momma's heart :)

Yay! A Spanish talk coming up! I was sure there would be at least one.

(A recent policy change authorized General Conference speakers to deliver their addresses in their native tongue if that is not English. I have enjoyed the growing diversity in the past couple of decades as conference speakers gradually reflect more of the worldwide church membership, but it seems especially meaningful to me for them to speak in their own divers languages. Makes things more challenging for the translators though...)

Yes, I thought the headline didn't quite match the article since the disciple part didn't seem at all groundbreaking to me. There were other more significant things to me as a Mormon feminist.

I'm still not sure the Women's Meeting actually counts as part of GC since the morning session today was referred to as the first session. I was hoping it would be called the second, but not surprised it wasn't.

And I'm sorry, but I think the creative Mormon Mommy bloggers are over the top. I can't make every second of my children's life entertaining and instructive like they do. I'm going to have to find some good Muslim Mommy bloggers in Arabic. Maybe they're more normal :)

Maize, you'll need to listen to the Cantonese broadcast if you want to hear Elder Wong's talk in Cantonese. They dubbed it into the appropriate language for each broadcast and only did subtitles in the Conference Center (which I think is the best system). We're tempted to hop in the car and run over the the Stake Center to see the first talk given in Spanish. A friend of mine said they're only have a few talks not in English this time, but that hopefully there will be more each time. Right now the focus is on having people speak who can't do it in English. I'm glad to have the chance to hear from new people!

Yay! A Spanish talk coming up! I was sure there would be at least one.

(A recent policy change authorized General Conference speakers to deliver their addresses in their native tongue if that is not English. I have enjoyed the growing diversity in the past couple of decades as conference speakers gradually reflect more of the worldwide church membership, but it seems especially meaningful to me for them to speak in their own divers languages. Makes things more challenging for the translators though...)

Actually, I'm pretty sure the talks are all submitted prior to the conference (so that they can be put up on the teleprompters), so I would assume the translators would be able to pre-translate. The English dubbing of the Cantonese talk was immediate. There was no lag between hearing him say something, and hearing the translation. The English translation even said "Amen" before the speaker did. :lol:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the talks are all submitted prior to the conference (so that they can be put up on the teleprompters), so I would assume the translators would be able to pre-translate. The English dubbing of the Cantonese talk was real-time. There was no lag between hearing him say something, and hearing the translation. The English translation even said "Amen" before the speaker did. :lol:

They are translated in advance, but the live interpreters try to pace the talk to match what the speaker is saying in real time so it's not as simple as just reading the talk. There are also occasional impromptu comments or additions to a talk (something as simple as commenting on the prior speaker or song) that must be translated in real time, though I expect those who are not speaking in English will try to avoid such. One of my siblings did conference interpretation for awhile.

The whole "Why should I help a poor person if their poverty is a result of their poor choices?" came up in my Sunday School class a few weeks ago (I teach 14-15 year old boys). I answered back with King Benjamin's sermon, just as Elder Holland just did. It's such a pervasive thought process in our society right now, when it comes to the poor. I'm so glad to hear an Apostle speak so forcefully on how UN-Christian such a thought process is. "Aren't we all beggars?"

I can't express how much I love Elder Holland.  He was the most amazing university president ever when I was at BYU.  He knew so many of us by name and greeted us that way every time he passed us on campus.  I remember one day when I hadn't even seen him, and he called out my name and asked me how my day was going.  And he really wanted to know.  I loved his talk today.  Loved it.  I'd link it if it were up on LDS.org.

Not LDS, but I've seen some talks here and there.  I really liked the woman who used to head up the Relief Society? before the latest person.  I seem to remember her being single and childless or something along those lines, which was a nice change.  I also used to listen to this woman's podcasts which I loved…http://daughtersofmormonism.blogspot.com

Anyhoo, what did you think of this?  Did it mean anything to you?  Is it a positive?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/29/mormon-feminists-blessed-disciples_n_5901166.html

Happy General  Conference!  I'm always amazed at the different things Mormon Mommy bloggers come up with to keep their kids entertained during General Conference, I think all the super creative Muslim mommies must blog in Arabic or something. :)

sheri dew.  she was a counselor in the general relief society presidency.  (there is a president, and two counselors.  you know - delegate. ;p)

You'd probably really like Julie Beck.  she was wonderful . . . . .(and Elaine jack was another favorite)

I got to hear Elder Holland in a stake conference once . . .  wow.  just, wow.  the spirit was so thick you could cut it with a knife.  very powerful talk.

and I taught RS last sunday - I was given three talks from last april to pick and choose from - most of it was Elder Holland's  . . . . :)

Okay, which speaker was it who quoted President Monson saying that "great days are ahead", something about "despite what is coming" the work of The Lord will continue to grow throughout the earth? It made an impression on me, but I can't remember which talk it was in so I can go find the exact quote.

Take away lesson from today: I want to be Elder Oaks when I grow up. That was one of the best talks I have ever heard.

No joke!  I always look forward to both Elder Oaks' and Elder Holland's talks.  I can't wait to study both of those talks as soon as they as on lds.org. 

I can't express how much I love Elder Holland.  He was the most amazing university president ever when I was at BYU.  He knew so many of us by name and greeted us that way every time he passed us on campus.  I remember one day when I hadn't even seen him, and he called out my name and asked me how my day was going.  And he really wanted to know.  I loved his talk today.  Loved it.  I'd link it if it were up on LDS.org.

The audio is available now in conference archives:

http://media2.ldscdn.org/assets/general-conference/october-2014-general-conference/2014-10-2070-elder-jeffrey-r-holland-64k-eng.mp3

Here are the other available talks:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2014/10?lang=eng

Elder Callister just finished and I think his talk, though it had little to do with educating our children exactly and more to do with mothering them, I think there is extra application in there for homeschooling moms.

Right now my 8 year old is feeling a little candy sick.  We don't have candy much (usually just after we read scriptures as a family - I suppose you could say we eat candy religiously lol), but we're playing a game this session that whenever a member of the Godhead is mentioned we can grab a piece of candy.  The 8 year old is incredibly good at listening closely and hearing every mention!  He just came over and said he's feeling so happy right now.  I said I'm not surprised because of all the sugar he's had and he said, "No, it's the words!  They make me feel happy!"  Melt a momma's heart :)

I think both Elder Callister's and Elder Perry's talk will benefit me as a homeschool mom.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am a mom first and a homeschooler second.  

How exciting that your 8 year old is feeling the Spirit during conference!  I must admit that I'm a little candy sick too.  So much for treating my body like a temple.  My ten year old jumped on the exercise bike in the middle of the morning session to burn off some of the calories she consumed.  I need to follow her example!