Menu

Child friendly dictionary recs?

displace

I was just starting to think about starting a little vocab booklet for words we come across and discuss while reading. I think it may be a good skill to use a dictionary for kids. Any recs? I'd prefer lots of pictures, this is for early elementary. Or maybe I should just stick to the computer to show DC?

I agree. I bought a children's dictionary when we started keeping a vocabulary journal. The problem was that it never had any of the words she wanted to look up. We tried a different one, for slightly older kids. Same problem.

The only time we actually used it was to teach dd HOW to use the dictionary. I would pick out a word from the book and then have her look it up. Fewer words meant an easier entry into dictionary skills. That lasted a handful of times and she was ready for a regular dictionary.

I like the Childcraft Dictionary for the young ones.  We used it until about third grade.  If the word isn't in there I would help them look it up in the adult dictionary.  I like having resources the child (even the young ones) can learn to use on their own.  It gives you a jump start on teaching them how to look up the things they don't know.  I think it's a skill that needs to be learned.  Also, children's dictionaries are so cheap to pick up used that I don't think it really matters if they outgrow it quickly. 

We have the Merriam-Webster Children's Dictionary by DK Publishing. It has much more than a 'first' dictionary, but not so overwhelming like an adult dictionary. Now that DS is in fourth grade it occasionally won't have words that he's trying to look up. We started using it around second grade. I think it's a good one though. It has a lot of color pictures and helped DS really get familiar with a dictionary---pronunciation, ABC order, etc. I'm glad we have it.