Menu

Anyone using Monarch this year?

I have a teen on the spectrum who needs some just get it done curriculum.  I was going to buy SOS for a few subjects.  But, that would limit him to one computer.  I was wondering if anyone uses Monarch.  If, for example, he finishes English 10, can he move onto English 11?  The monthly fee is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

We are using Monarch for a credit in computers, and contrary to what I expected, the course is good.  It thoroughly covers material; there is a reasonable amount of writing; the projects are connected to the lesson content; and the quizzes and tests aren't overly difficult.  Dd has to study but not for hours and hours.  Also, the online format works great for us.  I assign the work, and dd does the work, prints the lessons to study, and takes the tests.  Work that needs to be graded is sent to my account.  The software generates several types of grade reports.  It's an efficient system.  

I don't know the answer to your question about moving between courses and grade levels if you pay the monthly fee, but I am going to find out on Monday.  If the monthly fee allows access to all the courses, that is a great deal.  We have more courses that just need to get done, and I would love to use Monarch.

• Like 2

I have a son with dyslexia and dysgraphia. He is a get it done kinda kid and in 10th grade. We just started the course on Modern History in Monarch. He loves it. It can be read to him, which is important in giving him the freedom he craves. I like that I can choose to skip questions that require written work (he has a difficult time with spelling) and quiz him orally. So far we are loving it! He asked if we could add the science from Monarch. This is huge!! So far so good!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did you get the answer to this question? Curious as we will probably need to do this.

I don't know the answer to your question about moving between courses and grade levels if you pay the monthly fee, but I am going to find out on Monday.  If the monthly fee allows access to all the courses, that is a great deal.  We have more courses that just need to get done, and I would love to use Monarch.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Bumping again. Looking for 17-18 school year ... anyone using?

Used a few elective courses this year (2106-2017). We liked it overall.  Had some workarounds with connection issues. I never reported the issues to tech support. I probably should have.

I liked the content in the physical fitness course. That's stuff I needed to know as a group fitness instructor so I was glad to use it.  (I didn't use the physical education one, but the fitness one).

One of my children needed the essentials of speech/communication to help her.  Other people might roll their eyes as they have children who knew all of that from speech/debate class. 

She also liked the information on the small business entrepreneur class. It was new to her and she's thought about her own jewelry store. I liked that it was at high school intro level and not in mind for college level class.  Others on here may think it's too easy. 

Monarch does offer at times a 30 day free trial of the basic 5 subjects in all grade levels.  Maybe using that trial would help learn more about the content of those.  I did that and learned I didn't really like it for those subjects. Not the right fit. But enjoyed some electives.

We have been using it this year for our basic courses other than Lit/Writing for the 13yo and Biology and Geometry for the 15yo and I really like it!  The kids like that it's easy to use on the computer and it has all their work for each day set up.  They are independent.  Technologically, it is easy to use for me to set everything up and continue to use.  It grades each lesson for you, but there are a few questions that you have to grade which is easy to access and grade (usually short answer, paragraph or essay type questions).  I can reschedule lessons if we get behind for various reasons and it does it for me.  It gives grade reports.  You can set the calendar for days of school, days off, etc.  It internally has it set to take off the main holidays.  You have unlimited access to all classes for each child from grade 3 and up for 18 months.  I find the work to not be that easy for my dc.  They just don't whiz through it.  It is a lot of reading with videos disperses throughout for further information or practice.  It is accessible on any computer because you just log-in to Monarch with your account.  It is user friendly, in my opinion, but they are also very helpful and will answer all your questions.  They also did not align to Common Core, if that matters to you.  They looked into CC and found that their standards were either equal or higher than CC.

ETA:  We do have some wifi connection issues, but I'm not sure if that's on our end or not because we have to use a mobile hotspot for our connection and it's about 80% reliable.  Kids get frustrated when it slows down, but I can always reschedule their work if doesn't work out.  Some days are smooth, others not so much. 

Edited by Dianne-TX
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

We are currently at the end of the 30 day trial.

I've found it light for my neuro-typical children, but perfect for my child with learning disabilities. I may still get the family plan because it truly is independent, so it would be a great back-up plan for days when mom is sick or when they need review.

You can pick and choose grade levels in each subject, but I haven't yet figured out if it is possible to skip around among the units easily. Our current system is to just "unassign" everything before the desired unit. It is a bit time consuming, but it works.

The science experiments are more demonstration than experiment, so we will absolutely bulk those up for everyone. History needs a lot of additional reading too. Again, it is light, but if that is what you are searching for, Monarch is very easy to navigate and certainly makes grading easier.

Monarch is great if what you need is get it done. The user experience both student and parent were great, and the fonts, colors pictures etc were pleasant and definitely worth the money. I believe if you use the family feee you can move level to level with no problem (and it's like 690 per year for the entire family unlimited!) but you may want to call them to see if that's the best option.

We had other reasons why it wasn't a fit for my son but I think it would be great for the situation you are describing

But I would also look at T4L