Menu

in-context math instead of traditional abstract

Student Mommie

In sitting back and reflecting on our HS experience and how I can fix things, I noticed something interesting.  My 7ds has such a hard time with math.  Even with manipulatives, forget about it, he has very inconsistent understanding.  BUT he can do word problems.  I think word problems are a strength for him!   I mean not that we've done hard word problems, we are in CLE 102, but still, it's clear this is a relative strength.  I think the problem for him is the abstract math.  Is there a step-by-step workbook full math curriculum that is real-world math instead of abstract?  I'm not sure how it would work for aspects of math that have to be abstract (like place value which is such a bear for him).

Have you tried money as in actual dollar bills and coins for place value? My kids would make a dollar with their pocket money in coins and exchange with me for dollar bills. Then exchange five $1 bills for a $5 bill and so on.

Try any consumer math books in the library for in-context math. When it comes to fractions, my boys weren't interested in manipulatives but love cutting up cakes and pizzas for sharing equally among friends.

In sitting back and reflecting on our HS experience and how I can fix things, I noticed something interesting.  My 7ds has such a hard time with math.  Even with manipulatives, forget about it, he has very inconsistent understanding.  BUT he can do word problems.  I think word problems are a strength for him!   I mean not that we've done hard word problems, we are in CLE 102, but still, it's clear this is a relative strength.  I think the problem for him is the abstract math.  Is there a step-by-step workbook full math curriculum that is real-world math instead of abstract?  I'm not sure how it would work for aspects of math that have to be abstract (like place value which is such a bear for him).

You might consider using problems from Ray's Arithmetic -- available free online. 

This program from NCERT in India (http://www.ncert.nic.in/ncerts/textbook/textbook.htm ), available for free for download, also at http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/ , contain lots of real life problems. They obviously depict typical Indian things, places, and lifestyles, but they are an interesting alternative, at least for supplements. I think they've tried quite hard to show math as relevant to every day life.

For place value, I remember problems about a jewelry seller, and beads are sold in rings of ten. So they do cover taht sort of thing.

I think y1 is more kindergartenish, but the sequence is a bit different (telling time is initially NOT about clocks, and this part comes later than in most US programs); look at both grade level and the year above, to get ideas.

It may be a developmental thing. My DS was able to solve word problems before he could solve symbolic equations so when we first started I had to sit there and make up word problems for him.

In terms of visualizing place value, I really love the Digi-Blocks set that my retired teacher MIL gave me: http://digiblock.com/store/products/base-10-math-blocks-of-100/