Menu

Doctors on medical leave?

Night Elf

Our psychologist went on medical leave with an indeterminate return time just over two months ago. Is there any kind of rule in place for how long a medical leave can last before a replacement is brought in? I'm sure it varies by facility, but I'm just frustrated. We don't want to go with someone new in a facility so far away from us, but we may have no choice. It's just upsetting because this is the only counselor at this facility so now she's on leave, there is no one there to take over her patients.

Wow, she/he must have something really wrong.

I don't know that there is any rule about it, and if she is the only one there, she would most likely set the rules.

Will your insurance allow you to see someone else in the meantime?

That would be very frustrating.

Dawn

I doubt there is any kind of rule.  I would ask the administrative staff at the office who they are referring her clients to in the interim.  You will most likely need to see that person until she comes back to work (if she does).

No, no one can tell me when she might be back. In fact, my psychiatrist, who is at the same facility, said she was surprised the psychologist has been out for so long. I am not mad at the psychologist, something serious must be going on. But I'm thinking of my dd and her friend who sees the same person. They miss talking to someone. If we want someone new, we have to travel more than an hour and that would be half a school day missed. Dd is in some challenging classes and already has to miss some days because of the orthodontist. We may have no choice though. Dd has been willing to wait because has a rapport with this woman, but she's beginning to feel frustrated too. It would be nice if they would bring in a temporary replacement for those people willing to talk to someone new in the interim. Dd is thinking that if she sees a new person, she'd want to return to the original counselor because of the time constraint when she returns so anyone would be temporary anyway.

I believe the OP means rule of thumb or professional standard, as opposed to a set and established RULE (that only her doctor or her doctor's office would know or have established).

I wish I knew. I hope you find out soon enough, OP, being in limbo is never easy or fun.

My guess would be how long she can be out and still get paid...(IE how much paid leave she has).    

In my experience it is unusual for any medical professional to be out without having some sort of coverage arranged, although perhaps for the more urgent cases,

but coverage should be provided from day one.    It's the norm.   Otherwise, admin could then easily make a case for not needing your position.

Maybe you could make it sound urgent and see what they say?

IME, there is no professional standard for how long a mental health professional can be out on leave because people's situations vary quite a lot. However, if the leave goes on for longer than anticipated, patients should be offered the option to go elsewhere with a list of other mental health professionals.  In fact, at the beginning, when patients are told about the leave, it would not be a bad practice to offer a referral list.  There is a professional standard for social workers to "not abandon patients/clients", and going out on indefinite leave without a referral to a comparable professional could be seen as falling under this category, depending on the circumstances.  It is the responsibility of the professional to arrange with her office a proper communication with clients.  If the professional is incapacitated due to medical or other issues, the psychiatrist or office staff may take on this responsibility. 

It is a professional standard that psychologists cannot "abandon" their patients. You could contact the state board for pyschologists to see exactly what the standard is without reporting her. Abandonment would generally mean that she has not provided you with another person to see.  I am guessing any suicidal patients are being seen by the psychiatrist. Maybe they are triaging.

There's no point in guessing and the office isn't talking. You may as well line up the next therapist and make appointments. It would be awesome if you got to cancel them and go back to your preferred counselor, but waiting an undetermined amount of time with no back-up plan might be more stressful than breaking in a new therapist.

Our medical doctor was out for what seemed like forever when she had to have back surgery. She did have associates covering her patients, however. I would have thought that there would be some back-up plan requirement for all mental health caregivers. The ramifications of leaving patients hanging long term are not pretty.

Your situation really stinks. :grouphug: