Menu

Bethlehem Books 1 Day Sale: eBooks $0.99-$1.99

Hunter

I've seen many of their books recommended for Middle Ages history. Next year we will be doing the Middle Ages with my daughters who will be in Gr. 3 + 4. Can anyone recommend titles for those grades? My daughters will be 9 (almost 10) and 8 when we are studying this time period. Thanks in advance!!

I'll give it a shot. These might be too hard for your ages, but you could consider reading aloud. The nice thing about Bethlehem Books is that you can sort them by historical age and also see reading ages recommended for each book. S. From the early Middle Ages category, here are some goodies:

Augustine Came to kent

Rolf and the Viking Bow

Beowulf

Son of Charlemagne

Beirn the Proud

spring Tide

The ides of April

Galen and the gateway to Medicine

Beyond the desert gate

The only one recommended for reading level 4 is the Locked Crowns, which I haven't read. Again most of these will be too hard for 3-4th graders to read independently, depending on how strong of readers they are.

I'm trying to remember which lists I've seen some of these on but:

Hittite Warrior. Maybe TOG?

https://www.bethlehembooks.com/content/hittite-warrior-0

Archimedes and the Door of Science, and the other books by the author. This one is on AO isn't it?

https://www.bethlehembooks.com/content/archimedes-and-door-science-0

God King. TOG?

https://www.bethlehembooks.com/content/god-king-0

Layers of Learning unit 1:6

☻Victory on the Walls: The Story of Nehemiah by Frieda Clark Hyman. Fictionally tells

the Old Testament Story of the return of the Jews from banishment to rebuild their holy city. Definitely religious in tone, tells the story of a pivotal and important moment in the history of the west.

☻☻God King by Joanne Williamson. Fictional story set in the historical period of King Hezekiah of Judah, but revolving around the unwilling young king of the Egyptians. Kids feel drawn into this ancient world. Religious in focus.
☻☻Hittite Warrior by Joanne S. Williamson. Historical fiction. A Hittite boy finds himself descending from conqueror to conquered and in the middle of a power struggle among middle eastern tribes including the Canaanites, Hebrews and Egyptians. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up getting the ones below. We'll try them as read alouds but if any of them end up being bit too advanced we'll have them for later down the road. :)

Hidden Treasure Of Glaston     Augustine Came To Kent     Son Of Charlemagne     Red Hugh, Prince Of Donegal     Lost Baron

Some of these, as Veritas Mama's post suggest, are very Catholic in their view of history. It is history, but it is Catholic-centric (Augustine Came To Kent, Son Of Charlemagne, Red Hugh, Prince Of Donegal). Rolf & the Viking Bow was a quick, enjoyable read. I don't remember that there was any sort of Catholic bent to that one, but I could be wrong.