Menu

Apple Sauce

Okay be kind this is my first thread.

Our apple trees have been very good to us this year and I want to make apple sauce. Does anyone have a good recipes? Any tips and/or tricks I should think off? The apples are all excellent for cooking (made openface apple pie with them the other night)

You don't need a recipe - just cut up the apples, like for pie and throw them in the pot. Add a little water. Boil. Keep throwing in more as you cut. By the time you're tired of cutting apples, they'll be done. :001_smile:

I usually add some sugar, til it tastes good. I also prefer them peeled, but that not really necessary either. Some people put a little lemon juice in so it doesn't darken.

MIL quarters the apples (seeds, skins and all) and cooks them. Then she runs it through a sieve type of thing. It comes out a little smoother and pinker, but is too much work for me.

I used to can it but, for some reason, there's never any left:glare:

You can also freeze applesauce.

Here's my recipe:

Apples.

That's it! :)

I just cook down apples and freeze it in ziploc bags or other containers. You can also can it. You have to start with a decent tasting apple to just use apples, but it's quick and easy. And you know what makes it even easier? I don't even peel the apples! The cooking down makes them soft enough that you can't even tell there's peel in there.

HTH!

We have 8 apple trees in our orchard so I've done tons of applesauce, however, I never use a recipe. I just quarter the apples, cutting out any bad spots, heat in boiling water w/about a T. of lemon juice until slightly soft and put through a saucer (neat little machine that separates the peel and seeds). Then I sweeten the applesauce to taste - we not 'sugar' people so most people would probably want it sweeter. Then I either can or freeze. Frozen applesauce taste great. Or just keep in the fridge and eat fresh. You really can't go wrong with applesauce.

Janet

LOL, I don't see how this thread could go south unless there's some kind of politics behind your request (Obama prefers x-type of apple while McCain is a y-type eater?!)

Hehe...true...but I have been known on other boards to post things that didn't AT ALL turn out how I had planed so... :001_smile:

I peel, core and slice them and toss them in a pot and cook them with the lid on (waterless cookware). The applesauce is done quickly, and I like it chunky. I don't add anything except a little cinnamon. If the apples were sour (which they have never been), I would add a little brown sugar.

RC

We (finally) have a Pear Harvest this year, and have made delicious Pear Sauce, Pear Pie, Pear Cobbler--tastes like apple! (Baking consistency, etc. is very similar)

We love chunky, homemade Apple Sauce. If you want a change, you can stir in (part of) a can of Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (not jellied) like you use at Thanksgiving.

We have 8 apple trees in our orchard so I've done tons of applesauce, however, I never use a recipe. I just quarter the apples, cutting out any bad spots, heat in boiling water w/about a T. of lemon juice until slightly soft and put through a saucer (neat little machine that separates the peel and seeds). Then I sweeten the applesauce to taste - we not 'sugar' people so most people would probably want it sweeter. Then I either can or freeze. Frozen applesauce taste great. Or just keep in the fridge and eat fresh. You really can't go wrong with applesauce.

Janet

I could not have said it better myself. For variety, we add brown sugar to some but my kids like it without anything in it.

If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, the food mill attachment is the greatest thing ever for making apple (and tomato) sauce. I slice and cook the apples (no need to core) then toss them in there--it spits seeds and skins out one end and applesauce out the other. There's a lot less waste since I don't have to core them (and I put the seeds and skins part through a second time to squeeze even more sauce out). Plus it's kind of fun to watch.