Menu

Can I turn off data access on an iPhone?

caitlinsmom

We are changing up our cell phone plans in the next week or so.  We want to get an iPhone but do not want the user to access any internet services.  Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the internet access on an iPhone?  If so, how easy is it to turn it back on?  Can it be password protected?

Yes, definitely check with your carrier.  With ours we can turn off data and text when we log into our account, which we've done with the new iPhone we got to be our house phone.  (The number was recently recycled, so I've had enough of the spam texts.  :glare:  )  

I just called our carrier last week with this very question.  The AT&T rep told me that FCC regulations require that all smartphones have the *capability* of transmitting/receiving data, but that you don't have to use it.  She recommended that I get pay-per-use data service (which carries no monthly fee), and then turn off the cellular data function on the phone.  The service will be there if I ever need it in an emergency, but under normal circumstances, it would be turned off.  The function is easily accessed through Settings (one tap on "Cellular", one swipe on "Cellular data"), and it is not password protected.  

Are you concerned about the "data plan" Or just that the user of the iphone be restricted in what he/she can do? Because even if you found a way to avoid the "data plan," if you have the phone hooked up to wifi, they could still get data and access the internet. But the iphone does offer restrictions, so you can turn off, or restrict certain things - you can't turn off or restrict texting though, but for my daughter's phone, we have it set up so she can't get online via safari, and she can't download apps (so she can't download another browser, or a social media app or something) - She can still text, and use the camera, but that's about it (oh, and make calls, but who does that anymore??) Its super easy to lift the restrictions if we want - I have the password, and she will come to me and tell me what app she wants, and if its ok by me, we'll get it,and then put the restrictions back in place. 

And not that it matters, but ftr, she asked for the restrictions - she was struggling with social media sites and being able to put down the phone. My other kids don't have the same restrictions because they don't have the same struggles/needs. If that ever changes, we'll start having similar conversations.