Menu

Getting quotes for home repair

Night Elf

Wow, now I'm going to get wildly different quotes. The guy yesterday talked through everything the job would entail and sounded knowledgeable. I had a very good impression of him and thought his quote was very reasonable. BTW, we're replacing the wooden cabinet around our outdoor hot tub. He seemed to think that was no big deal. The guy here this morning seemed to think it was a more difficult job. He suggested that we might just want to consider buying a whole new hot tub which could run anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. If he thinks that is more cost effective, I wonder what his quote will be! He said he'll get it to be this afternoon. So now he has me worried that the first guy might not have been forthcoming, and that this job may be more difficult than we imagine. How on earth do I decide who is right? The 3rd company is coming out this afternoon.

Where did you get the names?  If they were recommendations, you could recheck to see if the people were satisfied.  I've personally never called up references provided by the company as I assume they only hand out people they know will give good feedback.

I used Home Advisor which DH said is affiliated, or used to be, Service Magic (I think it was called). We've had good luck with them in the past. There are customer reviews, but no one I can call. I'm going to have to go with my gut on this one. This is why I'm getting 3 quotes.

Wow, now I'm going to get wildly different quotes. The guy yesterday talked through everything the job would entail and sounded knowledgeable. I had a very good impression of him and thought his quote was very reasonable. BTW, we're replacing the wooden cabinet around our outdoor hot tub. He seemed to think that was no big deal. The guy here this morning seemed to think it was a more difficult job. He suggested that we might just want to consider buying a whole new hot tub which could run anywhere from $2000 to $10,000. If he thinks that is more cost effective, I wonder what his quote will be! He said he'll get it to be this afternoon. So now he has me worried that the first guy might not have been forthcoming, and that this job may be more difficult than we imagine. How on earth do I decide who is right? The 3rd company is coming out this afternoon.

Maybe the first guy is a more capable carpenter and to him it's an easy job. The second guy may not be as skilled and might prefer to install new products rather than fix things.