Menu

Overwhelmed Today

Bk4

I'm feeling overwhelmed today.  I'm flooded with doubts of my capability.  I spent a lot of this summer reading, and trying to envision how I want this next school year to be. I read both The Well Trained Mind, and The Core.  In a weird way, I feel like I have too much I'm thinking about now. I have always homeschooled.  Preschool with my oldest was a blast.  Lots of field trips, exploring, and reading.  Now, years later, I'm here with 3 more kids.  My oldest is going into the 2nd grade this yr, and both her academic and emotional level are more advanced now.  She is always so curious, and keeps me on my toes.  In a good way though, but also I'm tired!  I have now a kindergartner this year too (we did homeschool TK this last year), and also a preschooler who will be in kindergarten next year.  I also have a newly teething, and almost crawling 6 month old who is very curious.  I love all of this.  I truly do! BUT, today is just one of those hard days where I'm flooded with much doubt.  I feel overwhelmed and confused with the idea of homeschooling, and how I'm going to do this in a few weeks.  I like to be organized and ready, and I'm fully aware that despite the plans we make, those days don't always go as planned.  However, I like some direction for our year.  Why we homeschool is for two reasons.  1.  My husband and I love the options, the quality and creativity with home education, and the endless possibilities of learning. We pray that our children taste learning in deep ways. So far at this age, they really love learning.  They love the library. They love simple things, yet they love all the times they are with friends too. I really enjoy teaching them too.  2. We (I) feel called to do this as we have prayed over  each school year as it comes.  I am using: Singapore for math for my 2nd & K., Writing with Ease & Daily Grammar with my 2nd, phonics program for my K and preschooler.  History~ The Bible, Story of the World, & Veritas Press history cards interwoven.  So, am I'm planning too much?  Am I making this more difficult than this is?  I have my calendar laid out, and attempting to write out some "general" plans for each month.  However, I'm stuck.  I desire to do re aloud stories too as we did a lot with great classic literature (kind of like Five in Row style) and they loved it, but now feel like I won't have time for that.  I'm big on quality, rather than quantity, but stuck how to do all this this year.  Sorry if my post is all over the place, but I'm really flooded with doubt.  I cried earlier today a lot when the kids were outside playing. I go back to our goals and why we were homeschooling in the first place, but I'm still overwhelmed how to do all this in a few more weeks.  I want it to be a quality, fun, and rich filled year. I would love to hear from some of you veterans how you got past any bumps of doubt, areas of confusion and feeling incapable.  Thanks for listening.  ~Kirsten

You've got this! Maybe think of starting slow.  Do the read alouds that everyone loves (beautiful feet books has some great literature for this level). Start with just one book in language arts... once you've that worked into your schedule add in another in a week or two.  Maybe just do math a few times a week. Sometimes the beginning of the year is overwhelming as you learn the new routine, especially with an infant!  You won't ruin them if you ease into school.  It won't be the end of the world if you get a bit behind here... you can catch up at the end of year.  Be gentle with yourself! Do the things you enjoy together!

I only have 2 this year a 2nd grade and a pre-k and I am trying to figure out how to handle that but the love and care you have for your kids and their education and happiness is obvious.  I am pretty sure that no matter how you go about it they will have learned so much. 

First of all, I would honestly say that we have all been there at one time or another.  I have.  It is really hard to adjust from homeschooling one child to a full fledged schedule for 2.  I am adding a new kindergartener this year too with my third grader, and I constantly wonder if it's too much.  I have a toddler who just turned 2, and we are planning to have another baby at some point in a year or two after we move across the country.  This past year, the one year old was really hard as he was into everything.  

I would start slow.  Decide what are your biggest priorities for each day and start with those.  You don't have to do every subject every day.  If your oldest needs absolute quiet for something like dictation or a spelling test, be flexible and even consider that it might be best to even do this after dinner when Dad can take the baby.  Maybe not if that's fussy time for baby.  Try to do the things that need your undivided attention the most during a nap time.

Babies have their own timing.  Even your best plans will need to be flexible.  I am a very flexible person who is learning how much a little structure helps my kiddos.  I am putting together some special activities for my toddler during "school" time so he can feel included and stop pulling books off their desk while they're trying to write.  That's harder with a baby, but maybe have some "secret weapon" toys for school time that you know are your baby's favorite.  

Then, cut yourself some slack.  Yes, it's great that your second grader is hungry for more.  That means you are doing your job.  The whole point at this age is to create a love for learning.  Sounds like your kids are doing just fine with that.  If you have a day where you just end up on the couch reading books and feeding/cuddling the baby, call it a success.  Focus on skills like writing and reading and math and take the rest as it comes.  You'd be surprised, too, what your second grader can start to learn on her own.  Maybe she can read to or play with baby while you work with your middle child.  Overall, create an environment where learning and reading are fun, and don't sweat the "list" every day.  Your child will learn.  Think of things you can alternate days on.  Maybe you can even do a math lesson on Saturday if you need to.  

Most importantly, you can look at your goals and add up all the things you are overwhelmed by and what you're "supposed" to give your kids, but it sounds to me like you are giving them the most important thing already...you.  That is what they need the most, and you are there, giving them your best.  You know what is best for them, and it will not ever look like the perfect ideals in our head.  We are human, and so are our kids.  But don't let the perfect schedule and goals become the enemy of the good.  What you give them every day is the best.  It's enough.  Learning about life is just as important as learning the three R's.  You're not trying to slack off and avoid teaching your kids.  You are putting a lot of effort into this, and your effort will pay off.  Every workbook page may  or may not get done, but just keep swimming.  Despite government hyperbole, education is not a race to the top.  It's a lifelong endeavor, and you're showing them the path.  

I'm feeling overwhelmed today.  I'm flooded with doubts of my capability.  I spent a lot of this summer reading, and trying to envision how I want this next school year to be. I read both The Well Trained Mind, and The Core.  In a weird way, I feel like I have too much I'm thinking about now. I have always homeschooled.  Preschool with my oldest was a blast.  Lots of field trips, exploring, and reading.  Now, years later, I'm here with 3 more kids.  My oldest is going into the 2nd grade this yr, and both her academic and emotional level are more advanced now.  She is always so curious, and keeps me on my toes.  In a good way though, but also I'm tired!  I have now a kindergartner this year too (we did homeschool TK this last year), and also a preschooler who will be in kindergarten next year.  I also have a newly teething, and almost crawling 6 month old who is very curious.  I love all of this.  I truly do! BUT, today is just one of those hard days where I'm flooded with much doubt.  I feel overwhelmed and confused with the idea of homeschooling, and how I'm going to do this in a few weeks.  I like to be organized and ready, and I'm fully aware that despite the plans we make, those days don't always go as planned.  However, I like some direction for our year.  Why we homeschool is for two reasons.  1.  My husband and I love the options, the quality and creativity with home education, and the endless possibilities of learning. We pray that our children taste learning in deep ways. So far at this age, they really love learning.  They love the library. They love simple things, yet they love all the times they are with friends too. I really enjoy teaching them too.  2. We (I) feel called to do this as we have prayed over  each school year as it comes.  I am using: Singapore for math for my 2nd & K., Writing with Ease & Daily Grammar with my 2nd, phonics program for my K and preschooler.  History~ The Bible, Story of the World, & Veritas Press history cards interwoven.  So, am I'm planning too much?  Am I making this more difficult than this is?  I have my calendar laid out, and attempting to write out some "general" plans for each month.  However, I'm stuck.  I desire to do re aloud stories too as we did a lot with great classic literature (kind of like Five in Row style) and they loved it, but now feel like I won't have time for that.  I'm big on quality, rather than quantity, but stuck how to do all this this year.  Sorry if my post is all over the place, but I'm really flooded with doubt.  I cried earlier today a lot when the kids were outside playing. I go back to our goals and why we were homeschooling in the first place, but I'm still overwhelmed how to do all this in a few more weeks.  I want it to be a quality, fun, and rich filled year. I would love to hear from some of you veterans how you got past any bumps of doubt, areas of confusion and feeling incapable.  Thanks for listening.  ~Kirsten

:grouphug:

Off the top of my head:

1. Your reasons for homeschooling are sound.

2. You are doing your research and being intentional about this.

3. Your love for your dc comes shining through your post.

4. You will be FINE.

5. Just believe me. I know a good homeschooler when I meet one.

Now a little more in depth about your specific issues:

The thing you're thinking of cutting out because of time? The reading aloud? You have that backwards. There's nothing you can do that is more effective and important at your dc's ages than to read to them, lots, every day. Your kids are letting you know that's what they need! They love it! If I were you, for this first year, I'd just go ahead and do FIAR. It suits your dc's age range and you've already learned that you all like the style. Many classically homeschooling families started out with FIAR!

But even if you don't do FIAR, you can pick one good read-aloud per week and prioritize the time to read it.

History: Bible + SOTW (one chapter per week) + History cards sounds just fine. Use the SOTW IG to get some mapwork and good discussion questions, maybe an idea or two for extra library books. Perfect.

Math: Singapore is awesome

LA: phonics for the littles, WWE for 2nd grader -- so far, so good. I don't know what Daily Grammar is, but as long as there's not a ton of writing that's surely OK, too. I'm not seeing readers, spelling, or penmanship. What is your plan for those areas?

As far as how to lay it out: Your academic day shouldn't be more than half the day with this many dc at these ages. So you can knuckle down and work, with appropriate breaks and a snack-mid-morning, and then have the whole afternoon for stories, outdoor play, naps, field trips, painting and drawing, whatever. So you just move through the curriculum, watching your dc to see that they are learning and happy and growing. Use the shared lessons (probably Bible and read aloud) to start the morning together and set the tone.

Your main focus beyond academics should be family routines, loving discipline and order, relationship, and healthful habits. You mentioned the field trips, activities, playing, and fun time together. That all is still so important as you add some students and the eldest reaches 2nd grade! You are in the best years. With the teething, busy baby, too, these are the best years.

I have gone through this SO many times over the past 5 years that we have homeschooled and I only have one child I'm homeschooling (other is a 20 month old).  I think sometimes you just go through these feelings but you have to realize 1. why you are doing this and 2. it IS going to be OK!!  :thumbup:  I like how the book The Brainy Bunch lays it all out - your children just need to learn how to read, write and do math, everything else can be learned by reading (science, history, etc.).  Cover the basics and then spend the rest of the time doing the others, they repeat it all a few times anyway from the beginning till the end of high school!

:grouphug:

Off the top of my head:

1. Your reasons for homeschooling are sound.

2. You are doing your research and being intentional about this.

3. Your love for your dc comes shining through your post.

4. You will be FINE.

5. Just believe me. I know a good homeschooler when I meet one.

Now a little more in depth about your specific issues:

The thing you're thinking of cutting out because of time? The reading aloud? You have that backwards. There's nothing you can do that is more effective and important at your dc's ages than to read to them, lots, every day. Your kids are letting you know that's what they need! They love it! If I were you, for this first year, I'd just go ahead and do FIAR. It suits your dc's age range and you've already learned that you all like the style. Many classically homeschooling families started out with FIAR!

But even if you don't do FIAR, you can pick one good read-aloud per week and prioritize the time to read it.

History: Bible + SOTW (one chapter per week) + History cards sounds just fine. Use the SOTW IG to get some mapwork and good discussion questions, maybe an idea or two for extra library books. Perfect.

Math: Singapore is awesome

LA: phonics for the littles, WWE for 2nd grader -- so far, so good. I don't know what Daily Grammar is, but as long as there's not a ton of writing that's surely OK, too. I'm not seeing readers, spelling, or penmanship. What is your plan for those areas?

As far as how to lay it out: Your academic day shouldn't be more than half the day with this many dc at these ages. So you can knuckle down and work, with appropriate breaks and a snack-mid-morning, and then have the whole afternoon for stories, outdoor play, naps, field trips, painting and drawing, whatever. So you just move through the curriculum, watching your dc to see that they are learning and happy and growing. Use the shared lessons (probably Bible and read aloud) to start the morning together and set the tone.

Your main focus beyond academics should be family routines, loving discipline and order, relationship, and healthful habits. You mentioned the field trips, activities, playing, and fun time together. That all is still so important as you add some students and the eldest reaches 2nd grade! You are in the best years. With the teething, busy baby, too, these are the best years.

This 100,000 times. Print out this post and read it daily.

You will be fine. And re: the read alouds--never cut out the parts of homeschooling that YOU love the best and that make you feel like a good Mommy or teacher.Never!

You can do it, really you can! This is where I was last year and once I just jumped in, it was fine. Two things that have helped me immensely are workboxes, so that they are not standing around and waiting for me to tell them what's next while I'm changing a diaper, and doing read-alouds first thing in the morning.

School or nap when the baby naps (depending on the day ;-)).

What I love about your post is the curious 2nd grader and your often used words of "love" and "enjoy." But I also read, "I'm tired." So, nap when you can. I suspect that 6mo is up at night still. Nap when you can. It's okay. Go to bed early instead of planning some "uber cool" craft (at these ages, a cuddly read aloud will be just as appreciated).

And if you couldn't school during naptime that day, maybe school at mealtime. Honestly, we do our Latin at dinner a few nights a week and art/music appreciate at lunch time. That means everyone gets to hear it and even 1.5yo is interested and points at the small whiteboard I write on. :hat: Everyone is trapped at the table, relatively quiet and eating . . . attack them with academic information while you have a captive audience. :lol:

My mother was dying and died of cancer when my sister was in the second grade.  I was homeschooling her.  We are 20 years apart.  I always knew I would homeschool, just not my sister!  And definitely not at that moment when my husband was trying to find a job.  He had recently passed the bar exam and our medically fragile son was a year old.

Anyways, we read and read and read.  I didn't get much of anything else done.  

She started the school year off in a public school.  I homeschooled her October through May.  She had to return to the public school (court ordered) for the last few weeks (during a court trial after our mother's death).  So she took a beginning of the year assessment and end of the year assessment in her public school.  She jumped to almost a sixth grade level in reading at the end of the year assessment.  She was barely grade level at the beginning of the year.  All of this while being moved around, mother dying, etc.  We just read and read and read.  HOURS and HOURS of reading aloud.

Just read and play, then read and play some more.  You'll all do more than fine.  This is about relationships as much as it is about academics.  

Wow.  What wonderful advice and encouragement from you all.  Thank you so much.  After reading through the responses last night, I felt more spurred on that this is all doable!  It can be a lonely journey where we live (only two other families I know that are homeschooling, and they go through a private school they homeschool).  They have a unschooling approach to education, so we usually don't have a lot of commonalities with homeschooling talk or feedback with one another, especially in regards to any routine or help with curriculum. 

You all are right too.  Reading is something they love, and I love.  Especially when we would take a book and have it come alive with various activities.  I'm going to take the advice and start with that for our mornings. Maybe do bible/history in the mornings to start with, and a realoud with it? I think my mind was trying to wrap how to get in the math, phonics for the youngers, literature realouds,  SOTW, & the grammar/writing for my oldest. 

You all are right too.  I need more sleep.  My mornings and days are tending to nursing the baby (he still nurses 6+ a day), then the other 3 kids, and also prepping for the school year this summer all combined with laundry, meals, etc...  We don't have family help.  However, my husband is a wonderful support and helps with these things too. He read both the books this summer too and gives feedback too.  However, he isn't home during the day to understand fully and know how to implement some routine with school. So, I came here to find some understanding from you all.  Come evening time, kids go down for bed, and my husband and I end up staying late as we have love our time together too, and I can also get a lot done with everyone asleep.  But, it comes back to me when I'm then tired continually. 

"LA: phonics for the littles, WWE for 2nd grader -- so far, so good. I don't know what Daily Grammar is, but as long as there's not a ton of writing that's surely OK, too. I'm not seeing readers, spelling, or penmanship. What is your plan for those areas?"  -Actually, my error, it's not called Daily Grammar.  I ended up ordering the other option.  It's called Spelling Workout (using B for 2nd grader), then doing WWE, and not starting cursive until probably January with her.  She is reading at about 4th grade level.  We usually go to the library weekly, so she does independent reading daily (maybe 2 hours or so depending on the day's activities).  Plus, with the SOTW and any other re alouds we decide to do as a family.  For my kindergartner, she is not reading fluently, so my goal was to focus primarily on reading with her.  Using Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading plus we are going through BOB books.  (Last yr. when I did TK with her/she won't be 6 until Nov.), we did a lot of reading, but I did focus on writing and sight words.  I think I made an error in that regard in TK last yr, as the more I have read and researched this summer, it says to focus almost all on reading at her age so she is fluently reading with comfort.  Is that right?  She can write her name, some basic sentences, and formulate all her letters, but I thought about not focusing on penmanship as much this year (or maybe not until the Spring).  She really doesn't have confidence to sound things out and wants me always to read to her instead. (which I do), but she still is very hesitant to try on her own.  I have seen her read things as I give her a little push, but again, she gets anxious if she can't get it (despite by efforts to not force it, be patient, & encourage her, & just keep reading together) It's her personality as she is not wanting to risk take, and I want to tread lightly (as she LOVES books!), so if you have some suggestions with that.  I plan to just do the phonics and reading with my kindergartener and preschooler. 

So just thinking aloud after reading your responses...  1. Start my day with what everyone here loves; reading.  If possible, then have my oldest do something with SOTW workbook?  Then depending on the nap (baby does nap in the morning/but that isn't always a guarantee with stages of teething, etc..), maybe go into the math for the oldest and phonics for youngers?  Afternoons spend doing whatever else, activities, play, etc..  

I appreciate every response I read.  I am one that loves to learn myself, so when I read the suggestions, especially from those of you that have been on this journey much longer, I listen carefully.  I want to be intentional on this journey, but also not set unrealistic expectations.  I am listening and appreciate your time! Thank you again. 

I haven't homeschooled lots of littles but I have homeschooled through an international adoption and difficult 2 transition years and I've homeschooled through several other crises involving dying relatives and long term elder care. 

1. Clarify your priorities.

Most people prioritize reading (phonics and read alouds) writing and math on a daily basis.  Religious people will often add religious studies of some sort to that list.  With the ages of your children, your lessons in any subject really don't need to be more than 20 minutes at most.  If you have lesson plans written out, write them out so that you can glance at them and know exactly what is essential and what is optional.  Less time? Just the basics.  More time?  Add in an extra or two.

2. Integrate subjects whenever possible.

There are lots of different ways to do this.  One example is to choose excellent literature or an excellent living book that reinforces what you want to expose your children to in history or science.  If you have your child narrating what you read about you've covered reading, history/science and writing in one assignment.  They reinforce each other with less effort than reviewing unrelated content in different subjects. There are phonics programs that include spelling and writing lessons.

3. If what you do is high quality, you usually don't need to do as much.

Instead of reading any old book out there, do a little homework and find the good stuff.  The American Library Association has lists of award winning books online.  If you use Story of the World, there are activity books that go with them full of recommended reading lists and activities related to each SOTW chapters.  If you want to bulk up a history spine or skip a history spine all together, All Through the Ages has recommended reading for grades K-12.

Pay attention to curriculum with busy work and avoid it.  Focus on essential skills in each subject that are thoroughly covered in an easy to use format. 

It sounds like we have kids about the same age (I have a 3rd grader and a kinder and a 3 year old and an infant).  We all also love readalouds, but it's very hard to snuggle and read when the baby is awake (she' a screecher), so we will do them during the baby's first nap.  During the second nap, we'll have lunch and I'll read aloud again--more difficult stuff because they'll be a captive audience with full mouths.  FIAR is after lunch (soooo much fun!)  My third grader will get his math lesson after dinner when Daddy is home to watch the girls and my Ker will get her phonics lesson while my 3rd grader plays with the little ones. This is the plan, anyway.  Maybe that will help you a little??  You can do this!  (Hopefully, so can I:))

I will make this short and sweet.  Last year when September rolled around I had an advanced 1st grader, an advanced preschooler, a 2 year old who gave me a run for my money, and a 1 month old.  

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!  Well, although circumstances may be different here or there, I get the main fears and frustrations you are feeling at the moment.

Let it go!  You will be able to start slow, just like I did, and your children will still come out of the school year happy and excelling.  The baby will be your buddy, on your lap all the time!  We had a bouncy seat that I just brought from room to room with me as I went about my day.  I am not going to say it was easy, it was as far from easy as you can get.  I will tell you that it was rewarding and it taught me to let go of some of my habits from the past.  I tend to over-analyse and over-plan.  A tiny baby made that impossible.  Throw cloth diapering 2 babies and breastfeeding in and I had a disaster waiting to happen.  After a lot of stress and frustration I just started to let go a little and things all fell into place.

If you feel God has put this on your heart, then please trust Him to make it work for you the way it should.  He knows you best :)

This year I have a 'know-it-all' 2nd grader, a Kindergartener who feels like its a race to get to where his older brother is, a preschooler who is so hungry for learning, and newly walking 1-year old who is into EVERYTHING!!

I'm feeling some of the same stresses all over again, but I know the outcome already.  We will have great days and we will have horrible days, and there will be lots of 'just made it by' days in between.  

Have hope Mama, and believe in yourself!  I believe in you!