Menu

More shows like Your Inner Fish

So, we got done watching the three episodes of Your Inner Fish, and CP has been rewatching them with joy. What shall we watch next?

Paleontologists is a plus.

Nerdy paleontology jokes is another plus. ("Oh, yep, he's gone Devonian!" :lol: )

Cool CGI is great.

We've watched Cosmos, and outer space is another topic of interest. But I'm not against expanding his horizons. But basically it needs to include the hows and whys.

Any recommendations?

We loved Prehistoric Autopsy. It's from the BBC but it's available on Discovery Education which is free from Homeschool Buyer's Coop until the end of the month. They went through research and recreated models of 3 hominid species. The series name makes it sound creepy but it was great.

Anything from NOVA is good. After we watched Your Inner Fish, we enjoyed "What Are Animals Thinking" (hosted by David Pogue, king of nerdy scientist humor) as well as the 3-part series "Inside Animal Minds."

Have you watched the Life series from BBC?

And I have to put in a plug for MinuteEarth and MinutePhysics (find them on YouTube) - short videos that explain all kinds of interesting phenomena in science, including the life sciences.

Also, if you're interested in more evolution stuff, we enjoyed the "Walking With Dinosaurs" and "Walking With Beasts" miniseries - streaming on Netflix. There's one on Cavemen that I haven't seen yet.

Meh. I'd skip it. While my kids really liked it, I thought it was terrible. It's not nearly as good as the other "Walking With..."

I'd second Life as well as "Life With Birds" or really anything with David Attenborough. Human Planet is on the list for this year as dd is going to study biomes and each episode on Human planet focuses on a particular biome. "First Life" is another Attenborough favorite. I found it on YouTube. You can find some of the Attenborough stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Hulu has a few, too.

I also liked NOVA's "Becoming Human" as well as the one on string theory. ETA: the one on string theory is "Fabric of the Cosmos" and "The Elegant Universe" is good, too.

Meh. I'd skip it. While my kids really liked it, I thought it was terrible. It's not nearly as good as the other "Walking With..."

Yes, that's what I'd heard as well. Too bad - it's such an interesting topic. Are there any better shows on human evolution out there yet?

*not about paleontology and only one about animals, but these are interesting nonetheless

There are some shows with David Pogue about extremes

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/making-more-stuff.html

These were interesting too: America Revealed

http://www.pbs.org/america-revealed/

There is also this, for those with a strong stomach! Inside Nature's Giants

http://video.pbs.org/program/inside-natures-giants/

And one more, a bit different but interesting, Raw to Ready, that shows how things are made.

http://www.pbs.org/program/raw-ready/

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions in this thread! My dd has watched the Your Inner Fish series multiple times. Cosmos interested her, but not as much as the Inner Fish videos. She wants more well-made videos on prehistory and evolution, not space.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions in this thread! My dd has watched the Your Inner Fish series multiple times. Cosmos interested her, but not as much as the Inner Fish videos. She wants more well-made videos on prehistory and evolution, not space.

The BBC had "The Incredible Human Journey" back in 2009 which will probably not impress quite as much as Cosmos or Your Inner Fish, but it's better than Walking With Cavemen.

ETA: You might also want to check out NOVA's "Origins: How Life Began"

Another vote for "Origins" and "Becoming Human."

Australia: the First Four Billion Years is currently showing on Nova.

We tivo Nova and Nature every week.  Nature usually has at least a couple references to evolution and natural history.  Nova's shows are broad and stretch what we know.

Stargazers is a quick weekly 5-minute show on astronomy that most people don't know about.  It teaches the Constellations, as well as other night sky phenomena.  Again, we tivo it off PBS.