Menu

To Schedule or Not to Schedule...

pocjets

This year I have a 4th grader, 3rd, grader, 1st grader, 4, year old, 3 year old, 19 month old, and a baby due in October. 

Previously, I have always just kept a list of the subjects each student needs to do for the day and I just check them off once they are finished. There is no order to it. Some days a child will do math before lunch and some days that same child will do it after lunch. 

I keep seeing all of the schedules where people have color coded their children and broken the day into 30 min periods which remain the same from day to day. I'm just wondering if I should try something like that this year. 

Questions:

Will it make the day run better if everyone knows exactly what to expect? 

Will we end up getting more accomplished?

How in the world could I possibly stick to a strict schedule with so many young children?

Should I just put my 3rd and 4th grader on a schedule and then just work 1st grader in like I've been doing?

Has anyone tried both ways? Do you have any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks so much for helping!

I just do things from time to time: poetry after math, etc no times. It's basically a list of things to accomplish that day. If it makes more sense to read when he's in the bathroom, he'll do that. Or listen to history in the car.

If what you're already doing is working, don't try fixing it. Just ignore all those pretty planning systems. Really.

That said, I have 6 kids ranging from almost 4yo to almost driving. I schedule subjects, but not days. Every subject needs done every day, but I generally don't care how they stack it up.

When the teens were little we did aim to have all language arts, math, and languages done by lunchtime. After lunch we had a family wide quiet time. Big ones read quietly in their rooms; little ones napped. Then we spent the afternoon doing the family wide subjects (science, history, art).

If you're already getting everything done each day, I'd say don't bother. Nap times change. Your own sleeping patterns will change. Take each day as it comes.

But the 4th grader may be of the age to need more order and structure. And he/she may need direction on how to work independently when you rest. Maybe discuss with your 4th grader how she wants to organize her day? 

If what you're already doing is working, don't try fixing it. Just ignore all those pretty planning systems. Really.

That said, I have 6 kids ranging from almost 4yo to almost driving. I schedule subjects, but not days. Every subject needs done every day, but I generally don't care how they stack it up.

When the teens were little we did aim to have all language arts, math, and languages done by lunchtime. After lunch we had a family wide quiet time. Big ones read quietly in their rooms; little ones napped. Then we spent the afternoon doing the family wide subjects (science, history, art).

I agree. Why fix what isn't broken? Think of the hours scheduling you'll save to do other things. That said, I schedule for three reasons: I need to see the big picture written out, I tend to forget things, and my eldest starts reverting to her natural state of misery guts if she can't see a clear path for the day. :)

I'd say we can all take some lessons from you with all those kids you're schooling! I agree, if what you're doing is working well and you're asking only because you feel like you're *missing something*, the way you're doing it probably works best for your family and you. Personally, I think a lot of the way people do things comes down to their personality, not because one necessary works best. 

As far as pretty schedules, mine is actually a formalized routine... with all your kids, I bet you have a working routine for your household. When we have an event that changes how I want my house to run (job change, new school year, baby arriving, etc.) I sit down and contemplate everything. What time do I want bedtimes, mealtimes, baths, school to start... Having it down on paper helps keep me realistic.

Years ago I decided that we could get chores, baths, school, and playtime all before noon everyday. It didn't happen. It wasn't until I tried to schedule the events into the morning that I realized I was trying to plan 6 hours of activities into 4 hours of time! Oooops. :rolleyes:

On the schedule I used to put specific times for subjects. It was actually my ace in a pocket. I never enforced the school schedule unless a child was not getting his or her schoolwork done. ;) If a child used their time well, why enforce the schedule? If not, I enforced it. :D

I like having a schedule.  But I liked having a schedule before my kids started schooling, too.  I schedule out playdates and cleaning!  If I don't have something written down for a specific time it just doesn't get done- the kids all wander off and play and I don't want to interrupt them, or I spend all day on the forums *ahem*, or we just lose track of time and don't get to half the subjects.  And my oldest kiddo, especially, needs to know what to expect, he HATES when I "interrupt" him to do something unexpectedly.  If I left what time to do math up to his own choosing he'd just put it off until bedtime.  

But that's ME and MY KIDS.  If what you are doing is working for you, goodness gracious dont rock the boat.  

I agree with Coco Clark that if what you're doing is working I wouldn't change things. 

I think the best anyone can hope for is something that works 80-85% of the time. However, the more littles or special needs kids, or unusual circumstances you have may mean moving that percentage down for the sake of reality for a while.  Any more than that is a fantasy and any less may need some tweaking here or there. If it's closer to 80% it needs less tweaking.  If it's farther away from 80% then it might need a little more tweaking. 

There's a difference between a schedule and a routine.  A schedule focuses on what time things happen.  A routine focuses on the order things happen.  Are you someone who generally prefers a schedule or a routine in other aspects of your life?  What about it do you prefer?  How does it make you feel?

One of many options is to have ready by Monday a week's worth (or at least several days' worth) of assignments for the older one or maybe two and have them worth more independently coming to you as needed. You can work with the 1st grader one on one while the 3rd grader and the  4th grader are doing whatever they can on their own.  Then you can work with the 3rd grader one on one when the first grader is done. Once you're done with those needing more one on one, you can work with the 4th grader one on one. If the older kids don't have a workbox or file folder of several day's or a week's worth of assignments and a chore list they'll be wasting time if they hit a road block while you're working with or tending to a younger child.  I know Violin Mom in real life and this is what she's done with her 5 kids ranging in ages 7 to 18 (with twins at the end.)

Another for if it isn't broken don't fix it.

But should you need a fix, I have a weekly checklist AND a schedule of times I am available to each child.  That isn't to say they have to do certain work at certain times, other than what I may be teaching during that time I am available to them.  When I try to schedule subjects on certain days or hours it was a nightmare.  We were all behind, fast. No one likes that feeling.  So I give them what they need to do for the week, and I schedule time but not content.

I don't schedule, even for my 8th grader. We do work boxes. I put one subject in each box and they just work through the boxes. With my dd, she takes some academic classes two days per week outside of the home. For those boxes/subjects, she has her assignments from her teacher. I just guide her along and make sure she gets her work done. With my 4th grader, we work together one box at a time. Things like math and Barton, we do together. Some boxes have things he can do on his own. I don't write anything down in a planner. We just know what needs to be done next.

Ok, great! Thank you so much for all of your help/suggestions. I'll just ignore the pretty schedules and keep trucking along. I will continue with a routine and give my 4th grader her own list so she can move to the next thing/keep up with her work herself. 

I guess sometimes simple is best. :)

scheduling did NOT work for us......you have to find your own rhythm....if that means a schedule then do what makes you comfortable.....but don't think that you HAVE to have everyone on a schedule "just because"...if the older child can do self work then I might make a schedule out for that but like I said it just didn't work for us.......

Why not give your 2 older students their own planners. Sit down with them & tell them the expectations of the week & let them scheduled it. A great help in this area is THIS book. :) It's worth the read in helping getting your children going on their own. We've been using the method & while we're still reasonably new with it the results are beautiful.