Menu

I need to educate MYSELF more on c-rods.... where?

AimeeM

This is for your five yr old if I am not mistaken?

Do you have the 1st grade Diary and the Notes to Teachers books? Miquon never was a huge hit with Alex but those two books helped me to get started.

Yes. I have both. Frankly, he doesn't seem keen on the rods himself. He loves playing with them... but not necessarily USING them, lol.

Yes. I have both. Frankly, he doesn't seem keen on the rods himself. He loves playing with them... but not necessarily USING them, lol.

😄

Yep, that was my dd. She loves everything to do with math and numbers...but Miquon was a total bust. She liked to play, build trains, and create her own math games with them, so I guess all was not lost. Buying the rods was totally worth that. But Miquon as a math curriculum just wasn't happening, lol.

Crewton Ramone has some lovely videos as well if you haven't looked there...and they go nicely with lots of programs:)

😄

Yep, that was my dd. She loves everything to do with math and numbers...but Miquon was a total bust. She liked to play, build trains, and create her own math games with them, so I guess all was not lost. Buying the rods was totally worth that. But Miquon as a math curriculum just wasn't happening, lol.

Crewton Ramone has some lovely videos as well if you haven't looked there...and they go nicely with lots of programs:)

I have the feeling that is *us*.

But I want it to work so badly!

I also have CLE, but that makes him want to scream. He doesn't need the review, is way past most of the first many lessons, but still needs a couple of the little "inserts" in them (coins, etc)... and I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel trying to use it.

I have the feeling that is *us*.

But I want it to work so badly!

I also have CLE, but that makes him want to scream. He doesn't need the review, is way past most of the first many lessons, but still needs a couple of the little "inserts" in them (coins, etc)... and I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel trying to use it.

Well, as the mom of only one young child, hopefully you will get some more advice from moms with lots of experience with lots of kids...

But I can tell you what we did: we went through RS A and B because she started very young. So when we switched to Singapore there was a lot of stuff she already was really strong in many areas, but there were some gaps. There were also areas that she just either didn't seem interested in or just didn't seem to get. For those I put the book away and got out math games for the same concept. Infinitely better, and when we came back a day or a week or a month later she was ready:)

And best advice I ever got: no one said you have to work linearly through the book! Obvious exception are things that build on each other. We also took this as it is okay not to finish a page before moving on. Even now my kid might do half a page of one concept and then move on. The next day finish up both.

I hope you find something or a combo that works for you:) I know what your about WANTiNG Miquon to work! I have the entire set collecting dust on my shelves😄

I know the Education Unboxed videos, and I enjoy them. Are there any other resources? We're hitting roadblocks with Miquon, only because *I* fumble with the rods (and they intimidate me).

Mathematics Made Meaningful. Awesome. I think Rainbow Resources has it. I couldn't figure out what all the excitement was about, either, so I bought MMM and started with the first task card, which is something like, "Put all the rods in a pile on a table and separate them by color. Mess them all up, then separate them by size. Hey! They're the same piles!" :-) Somewhere along the way I figured it out, and now C-rods are my favorite manipulative. :-)

Mathematics Made Meaningful. Awesome. I think Rainbow Resources has it. I couldn't figure out what all the excitement was about, either, so I bought MMM and started with the first task card, which is something like, "Put all the rods in a pile on a table and separate them by color. Mess them all up, then separate them by size. Hey! They're the same piles!" :-) Somewhere along the way I figured it out, and now C-rods are my favorite manipulative. :-)

I haven't used MMM, but I had these sorts of moments when I first started doing the Miquon pages myself.

Aimee, I take the rods out at night, after the kids have gone to bed, and work through the next math lesson with them myself. We have used them off and on for the last 4 years and I am only now beginning to really "get" them. (Honestly, multiplication was a big "clicking point" for me.) I know that it is mostly me, I was not brought up learning math this way nor does my brain naturally function in an exploratory manner. Also, I will sit and watch Rosie's videos in the evenings over and over. (And over.) I have watched a few of Crewton Ramone's videos, but I'll be honest that they do go a little fast for me. All that to say, don't think that you can't do it, if you really want to do it. I don't know what exactly you are stuck on, but have you tried using an abacus? I know sometimes people have done really well with those.

Oh, I also want to say that up through this year, my dd was not interested in using the rods, either. She would get really frustrated whenever I would encourage her to use the rods to find a sum. Something clicked with her this year where everything is a little more serious, and she now loves the rods. It was like a light bulb moment. So, it may come in time, which I know doesn't help you with Miquon right now.

I also started with Mathematics Made Meaningful...  but...  there is absolutely no activity for the C-rods that I have seen anywhere published that I haven't also seen on Education Unboxed.  I really think Rosie did them all.  There are a few games and things that we did and invented, and I once used them for showing some rules about triangles...  but other than a few things like that, I think everything you need to find in terms of using the rods is on Education Unboxed.